Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '04 SVTF, and my shifter has become very loose. There is almost as much lateral movement in gear as there is out of it. The real problem though, is that my shifts are very clunky. The car will bog down off the line even while holding the throttle at a steady 2000 rpms and then releasing the clutch.

I think the loose shifter is related to this because I've brought it two dealerships and they have both said "the shift cable is out of alignment". They readjust it, the shifter tightens up to the way it used to be, and the launching problem goes away. Great! Except it's never more than a couple weeks before the shifter is back to its old ways.

I am not having problems going into and out of gear, as so many on here seem to be. Once it's in gear, it stays, and comes out easily.The stealerships are no help, so my questions are:

1) What the hell is this shift cable and what is it connecting?

2) Is there any way a cable could cause this? It doesn't make sense to me.

3) Something must need to be replaced, I just don't know what. Can you replace a shift cable?

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
I'm no gear box wizard but I'd almost think it's something more along the lines of a bushing being worn in the shift linkage or something along those lines. It's the plate that sits atop the trans with the counterweight and what not. I do recall someone having to replace that unit and IIRC he was having similar issues.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts