Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
on the 2000 ford focus zx3.. how the hell do you get the wire clip holding it in to get out of the way. I have the haynes manual and it just tells you to detach the wire clip... i dont think that thing comes off unless you start messing with needle nose pliars and im not about to do that. If i can just get the wire clip out of the way i can do it with ease.. any suggestions? thanks

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
The wire clips have one way they come out, once you find that one way its a snap. Finding the one way is a diffrent story. It took me like 30 min to figure out the way to undo the wire on mine, but as I said once you figure it out the next one takes like 2 min. Also don't forget to not touch the bulb. Some think I'm crazy but I just use a cheap pair of disposable latex gloves to change mine.

·
Registered
672 Posts
sidney61199 said:
The wire clips have one way they come out, once you find that one way its a snap. Finding the one way is a diffrent story. It took me like 30 min to figure out the way to undo the wire on mine, but as I said once you figure it out the next one takes like 2 min. Also don't forget to not touch the bulb. Some think I'm crazy but I just use a cheap pair of disposable latex gloves to change mine.
Great. After you took 30 minutes to figure out how to undo the clip, you still didn't tell anyone your secred.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I just did it a couple of days ago. PUSH the clip in towards the headlight and it will unclip. For the longest I kept trying to PULL and TWIST, but then I pushed it and it uncliped. Hope that helps. To reclip it just PUSH it back in.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Would someone mind taking a pic of the 3 bolts needed to remove the headlight?

·
Infidel
3,307 Posts
The engineer who designed this connector, should be shot.....

·
Registered
5 Posts
On my 2003 Focus, changing the right headlight is easy - follow directions given by other posters or the manual. The left (drivers) side is another story. The first time I did it, I left a fair amount of skin and blood behind. The second time, I got smart and removed the part - don't remember exactly what it was, but it was only a few screws or bolts - that was the primary culprit and the job was easy.

And yes, for some reason the shop manual doesn't mention this, so I can only assume that either the manual recycled material from an older model without the offending part or that the person who wrote the procedure had very small, flexible hands....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Looking around the internet, I kept hearing about this clip and hinge to mess with after you remove the cover and plug and when I looked at the socket and felt around I had no earthly idea what the hell everyone was talking about.

[dunno][dunno][bash][bash][bash][bash][bash][bash][bash][bash]

So I went in with a digital camera and took this picture on the driver's side headlight on my 2005 Focus:

See that thin piece on the circumference of the socket? The one with the 6 tiny spikes all around it? There's your clip.

You can get a fairly good grip by positioning your fingers on the bottom and your thumb on top.

Then, as has been explained, push in and rotate counter-clockwise and you should feel it start to loosen. Then remove it and set aside.

Hope this makes everything just a little bit easier

·
Registered
5 Posts
Infinite thanks for the picture of the clip!
I'd been trying for the last 2-3 days to twist the socket in which the bulb resides instead of the clip, since both the owner's manual & the Haynes manual have proven equally useless with regards to details on this procedure.
Hell, the Haynes manual's picture doesn't even match up to what's under my hood (and yep, it IS the right book [grinking] )!

Unfortunately, after 5 minutes of pushing in the clip & attempting to twist it counter-clockwise, I'm convinced more than ever that only the TRUE King of England can remove this sword from this stone. The clip won't budge and my fingers can't take the strain anymore of pushing inward & attempting to turn, lol. Gaagh, am simply going to grab my ankles & take it to the shop.

As much as I loathe handing over $30+ over the changing of one damn lightbulb, the alternative is to keep trying to move the immovable object, and be stuck at home once night falls for fear that my one-headlight Focus will be the center of Johnny Law's attention if I try to drive around after the sun sets.

·
Registered
433 Posts
That pic looks like mine. I ended up unbolting the headlight and taking it out. My friend sliced himself good getting his smaller hands in there. So, we gave up and just unbolted the headlight and left the bolts in the inner fender well out so when I have to change another bulb I don't have to rip out the inner fender well again. Its just as sturdy with only the 2 top bolts in.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I ended up going to the dealership & practically waving a white flag as I walked in. [bawling]

The guy behind the counter was extremely helpful tho he admitted he'd also popped out the entire headlight rather than anything else in order to change the light.
Pretty funny to see a mechanic drive the Focus into the bay and, then, 5 minutes later walking into the waiting area w/ the <BLEEEP!!!> light bulb & its assembly. Punch line was him going "Oh yeah, its got a plastic clip you have to turn in order to get it to pop out..." lol.

Bottom line: Best $31 I spent in a great while! [cheers]

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks, Harmonickev

I kept looking for a metal clip on my 2005 Focus to change the bulb. Your photo of the clip was a BIG help. Once I knew what it looked like and felted like, I applied a little pressure and rotated the clip and the bulb came out. Replace the bulb and installed the clip and connected the electrical plug. I was done. Reinstalled the rubber dust cover.

Regards,

hueyjock

·
Registered
1 Posts
I too was looking for a metal clip, not the plastic round piece. I did however break 1/2 of the connector clip on the electrical plug when removing the old bulb. seems to be holding well though. such a pain! fortunately i didn't tear up my hands!

·
Registered
17,288 Posts
There is no clip, those were on earlier models. That appears to be the simple twist to turn outer socket that Ford has used off and on for 20+ years, my '88 Tempo has them and much better than the spring metal clip. Just harder to get to because in a hole. I'd buy say a piece of copper pipe that just fits over the ring and then cut notches to clear the fins and instant tool to take them out/put them back in in seconds.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts