Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The way described in the manual does not work unless you have tiny hands and even then you'll get scrapes and cuts.

Can someone with a factory service manual enlighten me on what the factory service procedure is for changing the bulbs?

·
Registered
142 Posts
according to my haynes manual:

Disconnect battery negative lead

At rear of headlight unit, release the clip and remove the cover for access to the bulb

Disconnect the wiring plug from the rear of the bulb

Release the wire clip securing the bulb, remove bulb. (note how the tab fits in the slots on the rear of the headlight)

Fit new bulb using reversal of removal procedure.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
"you'll get scrapes and cuts."

Yeah, that's how most service goes on today's cars, particularly the small cars like Focus where everything is crammed into a small envelope.

After your hands are all clean and washed, I find using a bit of antibiotic cream, such as Neosporin, as a hand cream avoids a lot of the soreness and helps the little cuts heal 2-3 times faster without getting red. Put it on your hand before you go to sleep for the night.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
When putting in the new bulb don't forget to buy some of those disposable latex gloves. If you get oil from your skin on the bulb it will decrease its life. Other than that all I can say about changeing it is that its not too bad, the hardest part to figure out is that wire clip thing. I couldn't tell right off the back which way it swung and such and that was kind of a bitch. After the wire clip thing just turn the bulb socket thing and slide it out. Good luck.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sidney61199 said:
When putting in the new bulb don't forget to buy some of those disposable latex gloves. If you get oil from your skin on the bulb it will decrease its life. Other than that all I can say about changeing it is that its not too bad, the hardest part to figure out is that wire clip thing. I couldn't tell right off the back which way it swung and such and that was kind of a bitch. After the wire clip thing just turn the bulb socket thing and slide it out. Good luck.
I've done bulb swap on 2003 and 2005. 2003 uses swinging clip while 2005 has a clip on the electrical connector. 2005 is much more difficult in my opinion.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Just installed my Silverstars this weekend on my 05...and have the scrapes and cuts to prove it...lol...

It's a tight fit but you pull off the rubber boot, reach inside the cavity of the rear of the headlight that's now exposed, rotate the large "ring" holding the bulb (counter-clockwise) and then pull the bulb out. It will still be attached to the wires so you pry up the little clip and the bubl comes off. It's that simple... If you have large hands, you will get cuts and scrapes. The easiest way to install the new bubls is to fit the new bulb in the headlight, install the locking "ring" and THEN make the electrical connection (Don't forget to reinstall the rubber boot to keep the moisture out). I found this out the hard way by trying to get everything in, connected and lined up and then inserting it into the headlight...BAD idea.

The drivers side headlight was more difficult and required moving some pieces that are botled in right behind it. Otherwise, it's about 15 minutes per side MAX.

*edit* - Oh, and you're right, the owners manul was completely useless...it looks likt the directions for changing the bulbs in an older model Focus.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Removing the electrical connection was by far the most challenging. Unlike some connectors, Focus connector doesn't allow you to release the clip by pushing on the connector. You have to lift up on the clips. Lift just a little too much and it breaks off like glass.

There is NO ROOM to pull this stunt inside the lamp assembly, so you will have to maneuver out the lamps with the wires still attached. You will have some room, but still not much. Lifting on the clips without breaking them is hard. I broke one of them.

Refer to the circled part in attached pic in this thread:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=55548

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
"disposable latex gloves"

A plain paper towel works just as well, if not better. Most of those latex gloves are powdered on the inside and the outside might also be contaminated. When I change the bulbs I clean the "glass" part with 97% alcohol (Walgreens or any drug store has it cheap) just prior to installing and simple hold the bulb by the base. If you mess up and touch the glass, the paper towel/alcohol will fix it up easily.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You really don't need gloves for installation. You'll end up putting fingerprints all over the old lamp as you try to undo the connector after its pulled from the housing, but putting the new one in is simple. Hold the socket, slip it in.

Although, I'm going to wear high tear-strength neoprene gloves next time so I won't get tears on my skin

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
do it the easy way, just pull out the headlight. i tried the other way and tore my hand all to hell. i'm 6'3" and 250lbs. so obviously i have big hands. i just unbolted the headlight and took it out. it was sooooooo much easier than trying to work in such a small closewd up space!

·
Registered
153 Posts
I tried that by removing the two bolts on top of the headlight, but it seemed it was still attached somewhere. Being afraid I'd break something by pulling too hard, I figured I'd just contourt my hand into the small space and do it that way.

What bolt did I miss when trying to take out the headlight?

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Jeez, people ask for advice then tell you your dead wrong and then instruct you on the correct procedure on how to do what they just asked how to do. Wow. Oh one more thing, not that its a big deal but they do make those gloves in powdered or powder free so if you don't want the harmless powder to get on the bulb then you might want to try the powder free ones.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
"paper towels are fine except when the bulb slips out of the towel and crashes to the ground and there goes your $15 silverstars."

As I said in my earlier message, "hold the bulb by the base."

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
How do you insert the base of the bulb into the socket while holding onto the base with the paper towel? Also I don't think any one is saying there is only one way to put in a freaking bulb I just like to have all 5 fingers (or as many as possible) on a $15+ bulb that is why I use the gloves. Damn lets give this post a rest, the person who wanted advice answered there own question and then gave us all advice on the subject he was seaking advice on. Weird?

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
"How do you insert the base of the bulb into the socket while holding onto the base with the paper towel?"

Why would you use the paper towel to hold the base? It's only the glass part that you can't get skin oils on. Use a paper towel while handling it until you are ready to insert it into the headlamp assembly. Then hold it by the base and insert it without touching the glass.

"Damn lets give this post a rest, the person who wanted advice answered there own question and then gave us all advice on the subject he was seaking advice on. Weird?"

Not at all. Your attitude is what is weird. The guy asks for advice. He gets it. He then does the task and related back his experience. What's weird about that? It was quite nice of him to relate his personal experience after accomplishing the task.

The guy who dons surgical gloves to replace light bulbs is calling others weird?

Now that's what's weird.

·
Registered
507 Posts
when I replaced my bulbs with silverstars somthing weird happened. when i went to put in the bulbs the passanger bulb clipped in fine, but the driver side would not clip in. those clips are chezzy as hell. ever since The bulb will sometimes come un-clipped. what the heck did i do.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Not weird just overly careful. Imagin if you had a set of those $90 PIA bulbs, would you want to be f'ing around with a paper towel or have as many fingers as you want (up to 10) holding onto the bulbs worth there weight in gold. I don't see why its so difficult for some people to comprehend using latex gloves to install bulbs, go to about 4 auto stores and ask them and I bet 3 out of the four will tell you to use gloves. I've checked at two and they both told me to wear gloves. To all, do as you want but don't whine when the bulb pop's from your hand/paper towel and bust on the ground.

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
Don't worry about disconnecting the battery. If the keys aren't in the ignition, there's no power to the headlights.
For bulb replacement, look in the manual. It's easy. Just don't touch the bulb with your fingers.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts