Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2014 Focus has been sitting at the dealership since June 18 waiting for a TCM to be replaced under the warranty. No response from Ford other than "Check with the dealership." Anyone else seeing delays like this?

·
Registered
2013 Focus SE gray 5 spd hatch
2,036 Posts
I've heard of 6 month complaints on here before especially now that we're into a deep chip shortage. It also depends on the dealer though. If you chose a busy dealership to go thru then you'll likely be waiting longer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2014 Focus has been sitting at the dealership since June 18 waiting for a TCM to be replaced under the warranty. No response from Ford other than "Check with the dealership." Anyone else seeing delays like this?
My daughters 2014 Focus has been at dealership since June too. She’s a young school teacher and has been driving my car so hubby and I have had to share. Totally fed up with this situation and considering trading it in at Ford dealership. Dealer rep keeps saying why don’t you try to sell it since it’s paid for but why/how would we sell to an individual when it’s not airing in a TCM and could be dangerous to drive. Will this ever end?

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
The dealer probably sees opportunity there. The Ford dealer wants you to sell it because they know that they can easily fix it and for cheap as well. You'll get very little to nothing for a car that has trans problems either to a private sale or as a trade in.
Call and ask what # you are on the list of cars waiting for a TCM every week so that you always know your position in the waiting line.
Just wait for the TCM and it should be nice and reliable for 10s of thousands of miles. Mine went for 50k miles on a new TCM before getting totaled.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having same problem I've been waiting for over 5 months, i am so disappointed i invest all my savings to get this car and since the 2end week of my purchase it stopped on the half way , it was really dangerous
Now when I go to ford dealer they respond with very cold feeling it will take longer we don't know when
And I can't even say a thing because they will say you know what take it with you if you can't wait
I was hoping that this car was gonna be a perfect car for but it is the worst experience I've had with cars
I really don't know what to do im tired.of taking Uber and paying unsurance for a car that I am not using.

·
Registered
18,681 Posts
Remember it and never miss a chance to bring it up in conversation around others. If only half of you do that Ford will have such a bad name it will impact the bottom line and so far it has to a point. That car debacle is partly responsible for the dumping manufacturing cars and done to screw the last year model owners by simply telling them at some point 'we don't make those anymore and have no parts for them' and it will not be ten years after they made them either. Last year of Pinto parts were no longer around at 4 years.

As far as my concern Ford has slow rolled the making of TCMs on purpose and the chip shortage is the perfect excuse to run out current owner warranty periods. Ask them if the cars hitting the showrooms have to wait for months for computers sitting on the assembly line, no need, the company has not suffered as much on Wall St. as one would think, making it plain you owners of the defect cars are paying way more for it than others are.

The only way to get back is in bits and pieces whenever you hear somebody talking about cars. make sure you inject 'Ford-BAD' in there somewhere.

They do damage, you do it back.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I am having same problem I've been waiting for over 5 months, i am so disappointed i invest all my savings to get this car and since the 2end week of my purchase it stopped on the half way , it was really dangerous
Now when I go to ford dealer they respond with very cold feeling it will take longer we don't know when
And I can't even say a thing because they will say you know what take it with you if you can't wait
I was hoping that this car was gonna be a perfect car for but it is the worst experience I've had with cars
I really don't know what to do im tired.of taking Uber and paying unsurance for a car that I am not using.
6 months is about the limit that I've read about so far as reported by other owners in your situation of waiting for the backordered TCM.
You should have asked them the number that you are in the list at the beginning of this. There'll be others at that dealership waiting for the same TCM that you are. Those that came in before you will get theirs first but if you don't know your number in the list of people waiting you have no way of getting any idea of when your turn is coming up.
I would imagine that you should be about to get your TCM within the next few weeks but I would go to the dealer and find out your position in the list.
Most insurance companies will allow you to lower your insurance payment when a car just sits for extended periods by insuring it at a minimum by claiming it as a non driven car which will get a much lower rate. Though that really should have been done 5 months ago in your situation.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes, Brandon ford has had my 2014 focus for 9 weeks. The TCM is available at other dealerships but they refuse to source one for me. I guess I could pay for it out of pocket and take the them part, but that would defeat the purpose of the warranty. It's a matter of principle at this point. Have purchased 5 vehicles from them in the past, never again. Customer loyalty means nothing to them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
FWIW waited 3.5 months for the first TCM replacement. It lasted less than 3 hours after I picked it up and the car threw the same codes and acted the same as when I took it in. Codes pointed to TCM so a second was ordered and it took 4 weeks. I picked the car up Tuesday 9/20. Drove it about 100 miles the past 2 days. So far so good.
FWIW the dealer is in MI.

-Jeff

·
Registered
13 Posts
FWIW waited 3.5 months for the first TCM replacement. It lasted less than 3 hours after I picked it up and the car threw the same codes and acted the same as when I took it in. Codes pointed to TCM so a second was ordered and it took 4 weeks. I picked the car up Tuesday 9/20. Drove it about 100 miles the past 2 days. So far so good.
FWIW the dealer is in MI.

-Jeff
All you Michagainians should complain to Greedy Gretchen Witchmer and Deborah Dingleberry,. :)

They need to convince Ford this should be a recall, not a extended warranty.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just got back my 2014 Focus today Sep 23, 2022 have been waiting since Dec 29, 2021. So just under 9 months for me. Drove it from Dec 29 to June of this year and TCM finally died after dealer reset it in December of last year. Was able to secure a rental free of charge under warranty by Ford from June to Sep 23 (today). Note TCM must completely fail and unable to be reset by an OEM II reader in order for Ford to issue you a rental through warranty. Good luck, what a nightmare these last nine months have been.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts