Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have the P195/60R15 steelies and the door jamb recommends 32 psi.

Would someone with 16" alloy P205/50R16 factory wheels read off the recommended pressure off the door jamb for me? I'm getting the factory 16" wheels for my Focus.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,490 Posts
It depends on the tire really....some tires are designed to have more tire pressure than others...generally...i run 2 psi less than what the tire says the max at cold is.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
433 Posts
i ran my sotckers at about 28-30
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
325 Posts
I run 36 psi on my Yokohama's on a 16" wheel. Originally I had 14" @ 32 psi. You shouldn't necessarally run max pressure, since tires are designed for different weights. I would run what feels good and wears good. My 50 psi max is too much and wouldn't wear right.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,392 Posts
Check your doorjambs. On the driver's side rear doorjamb of my LX4, it shows the tire size and inflation for 14, 15, and 16 inch wheels.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,124 Posts
30 psi at night, never fill them during hot hours of the day
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dazada said:
Check your doorjambs. On the driver's side rear doorjamb of my LX4, it shows the tire size and inflation for 14, 15, and 16 inch wheels.
Mine doesnt... '05 here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,362 Posts
34lbs. i believe. my 05 has it in the door jamb. i'm quite sure it's 34. i have the stock perelli's also if that helps.
 

·
Sückn' n Blown
Joined
·
7,747 Posts
Its 34 for the 16s, 32 for the 15s.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
672 Posts
focusedintentions said:
It depends on the tire really....some tires are designed to have more tire pressure than others...generally...i run 2 psi less than what the tire says the max at cold is.
There was a thread within the last 10 days on the exact same subject, in which the "maximum pressure as indicated on the tire" was thrashed. The number on the tire has no bearing on what you should run the tires. That's the max before it blows. The factory indicates the best pressure, they should know. What's on the door jamb is what to go by. Too many contributors don't know and make critical recommendations. I have the 16 wheel with the 205/50 and the recommended pressure is 34 psi. Again, don't listen to those who use the "maximum pressure" as a guide. It's dangerous>>>>
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,660 Posts
So you work in a lab and make tires for a living I have never head tell of this I guess 2 years auto tec, 3 years auto diesel college and 14 years in the military working on cars must not have taught me anything. How can you say to use the door jamb. Almost all tires are not the same by brand. The are made up diffrent thats why they wear diffrent. One set lasts 30,000 one last 80,000 on the same car. This means not one pressure is designed for all tire just because they are 15,16,17 inch rims as you have diffrent sidewall height. I also know the tire manufactured pressure on the side is not before they "blow" if so why hasen't any tire I have blown before. Yo should start with the max tire pressure. Then let a little out untill it rides the way you want. I will also tell you being too low on pressure is just as if not more dangerous than too much. This causes the edges of the tread to be in contact with the road and the middle will not channel water corectly. This will cause hydo planing. There is a max pressure for seating a tire and it is more that the pressure stamped on the tire. Now if you disagree so what I am not even going to open this post again because if you don't believe me I am not going to argue.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
325 Posts
PDQEagle said:
There was a thread within the last 10 days on the exact same subject, in which the "maximum pressure as indicated on the tire" was thrashed. The number on the tire has no bearing on what you should run the tires. That's the max before it blows. The factory indicates the best pressure, they should know. What's on the door jamb is what to go by. Too many contributors don't know and make critical recommendations. I have the 16 wheel with the 205/50 and the recommended pressure is 34 psi. Again, don't listen to those who use the "maximum pressure" as a guide. It's dangerous>>>>
Not dissagreeing , but will say the MAX psi is for the max load the tire is capable of. Also when you change the load rating of the tire you change that factor and the factory never factored all of them for the recommended psi.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
696 Posts
elliottcarlose said:
So you work in a lab and make tires for a living I have never head tell of this I guess 2 years auto tec, 3 years auto diesel college and 14 years in the military working on cars must not have taught me anything. How can you say to use the door jamb. Almost all tires are not the same by brand. The are made up diffrent thats why they wear diffrent. One set lasts 30,000 one last 80,000 on the same car. This means not one pressure is designed for all tire just because they are 15,16,17 inch rims as you have diffrent sidewall height. I also know the tire manufactured pressure on the side is not before they "blow" if so why hasen't any tire I have blown before. Yo should start with the max tire pressure. Then let a little out untill it rides the way you want. I will also tell you being too low on pressure is just as if not more dangerous than too much. This causes the edges of the tread to be in contact with the road and the middle will not channel water corectly. This will cause hydo planing. There is a max pressure for seating a tire and it is more that the pressure stamped on the tire. Now if you disagree so what I am not even going to open this post again because if you don't believe me I am not going to argue.
Elliott, good points all around. Disregard PQD, PDQ, whatever the [:)][:)][:)][:)] his name is. I've seen other posts he has made and he's a [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]g moron period.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I wasn't looking for a debate. I was simply asking someone who has a Focus that came with 16" wheels from factory to simply read off what their door jamb says. :p


My door jamb mentions P195/60R15 32psi.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top