Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Reliable mechanic needed?

So today i ran into some water and the engine died, i kept trying and the engine would not turn over, so i waited like 20mins and then it started. I got home but it still doesn't feel right. What should i check? Maybe something got wet and i could dry it off. I really need to be on the road tomorrow so any help would really be good.

Thanks all

·
Premium Member
21,259 Posts
What mods have you done to the car?

If no mods, then I think you only got a little water in the intake. Regardless, clean the MAF, and you should be fine. If anything else happened, it's internal and there's nothing you can do about it right now. I know we got some water in my wife's engine, and it ran funny for a while until the rings filled up with goop again. That might be all you're experiencing.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have a cai. should have the oil flushed then? I have a 300 mile drive to make tomorrow. would i be ok?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any good mechanic in tampa, st pete or nearby, really dont want to go to the dealer to have my car checked. When i try go fast to soon i'm losing power.

·
Premium Member
21,259 Posts
Pull the spark plugs, clean, and regap. Check to see if anything is blocking the filter, and remove and clean the MAF with spray cleaner. That should do the trick. If you loosely put a couple of ladies polyester (must be polyester) panty hose over the cone filter that will prevent lots of water from being sucked up into the intake. It's a dirt bike racer's trick, and it works good on mud. You can fold the excess back up inside the cone filter, or use a large hose clamp to hold it down. I simply pushed mine back inside the cone filter neck, and then slid it all over the end of the tube and clamped it down. It probably won't save you if you completely submerge the car, but it will keep splashes and spray from affecting anything.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool...now to find someone who i can trust to that for me lol. But was that grinding sound i heard at startup though?

thanks a million for all your input

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
When things are wet, NOTHING works right....

Dry out the filter, clean out the tubes, & hope that's ALL the damage....

"till it's ALL dried out, it WON'T be "happy"....

Luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts