Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys im sure this has been asked many times, and im sorry for that.
Im looking into getting the stage 2 Focus Sport turbo for my 05 duratec.
I have one problem, ive read that the engine can only support 7psi on some forums and on others they say it can only handle 11psi?? what is the actual safe level of boost i can run.
Another thing ive been told is that if i get the turbo it could wear out my engine in a few months?? Is this true??

Like i said, I apologize if this has been asked many times but i cant seam to get a straight answer. Please help

·
Read Only
36 Posts
well on a stock engine no level of boost is gonna be safe with out doing some kinda rebuild. generally on mmost stock engines though i have read from 6-8psi is safe for the time being but if you drive it hard like that you will kill it very soon. best idea is to wait on the boost till have the money to do some internal work.

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
i dont think focussport would sell a kit capable of 11psi without saying it has to have upgraded internals.

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
There's no reason why you couldnt run the FS stage2 kit on your stock D-tec.

·
I AM DA FOCI FANATIC
3,715 Posts
well on a stock engine no level of boost is gonna be safe with out doing some kinda rebuild. generally on mmost stock engines though i have read from 6-8psi is safe for the time being but if you drive it hard like that you will kill it very soon. best idea is to wait on the boost till have the money to do some internal work.
Sorry every single part of this is wrong don't listen to it.

I know several FI foci that are still on STOCK parts and have been for long while.

The important thing is the Tune. Do not have your local shop tune the car, go thru someone was has the experience and skills with the focus in tuning.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
yeah the tune is the most important part... there are over 75 focussport turbo kits out there running safely. im one of them over 14,000 miles boosted. some have over 60,000 miles on their turbo kits boosted. bottom line.. 12-14psi is the limit for our engine, or around 270whp, thats where youll start causing damage long term. 11psi is fine.. they actually rate 11psi as the max you should run their kit on stock internals. but trust me, your car will be fine with the focussport turbo kit.. dont worry. it comes with a tune from Randy that is FANTASTIC.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks so much guys, i was really worried that i had wasted so much time saving up for this kit if would destroy my engine :p I cant wait to get my stage 2. [loveff] [ffrocks]

·
Registered
359 Posts
. some have over 60,000 miles on their turbo kits boosted. but trust me, your car will be fine with the focussport turbo kit.. dont worry. it comes with a tune from Randy that is FANTASTIC.

Thats me.... I have right now 95,000[strongman] on my 06 ST turboed at 18k so leaving me with 77,000 miles and counting on the FS Turbo kit. [thumb]

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
get the tune right, and use the stock cams, and you should have no problems...with ur engine.

the bigger problem you would have is the transmission. THAT needs to be reinforced. It can only handle roughly 200 horses. So if u have a standard, youll need to upgrade the clutch, etc.

Another guy on here who has the FS kit just lost his transmission, pushing I think 230hp.

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
Its not HP you need to worry about, Ford tranny's are rated in how much TORQUE they can handle.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
and do things to fix wheelhop.. thats what killed an axle a few months back and a tranny last month.. i dont have the basics yet to fix it but im getting them soon.

the mtx-75 should be good for 400+wtq, but wheelhop will kill any tranny. thats why mine died at 245wtq

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
nie new dogbone and other mounts will fix that right up.

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
ooo....the FS lower strut bar will help a lot too!

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
hope so!

i did notice today that wheelhop isnt nearly as bad as it was before i broke my last tranny.. im guessing going to 3.41 gears from 3.82 helped some cuz of the loss in wtq

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
Dont waste your money on a strut bar... they are only EYE CANDY.

If you're serious do all 3 mounts, go to at least a 21mm sway bar, and heavy/stiff shocks and springs.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts