Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i live in washington and it rains here quite a bit- will a cai be ok up here? i was looking at the f/s cai- but i heard about that the mounting sucks? on it? anybody who knows- help me out please?

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Some people will say you will be fine. I on the other hand love my short ram. (live up north of Seattle just south of snohomish FYI) Remember that rain we had last year? Flooded Wooinville completely which I had to go through. I would have destroyed my motor that day if I had a CAI on. Just my personal experience.

·
Proudly Daily Driven
2,255 Posts
dont submerge it and youll be fine...installation isnt really a pain, different people had different experiences, only real problems ive heard is the lower mounting bolt to the body being awkward sometimes...

ive had mine for over a year now w/out a problem and i just recently slapped a outerwears prefilter on it www.outerwearsracing.com just for some added insurance and for performance reasons

·
I'm Back!
2,304 Posts
I have an AEM CAI and haven't any issues thus far. I avoid major puddles, though. My filter is protected pretty well from splashing and I definitely don't submerge it.
^^Agree, just avoid the big puddles.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I live in MI, don't get tons of rain here. I bought a Cosworth CAI, thinking I'll never have a chance to hydrolock my car. Well, I did. Crap does happen, but if for some reason you have to drive through a big puddle, or you cut through an unlit parking lot that doesn't look like it's 3ft deep of H20.... Get the Steeda SRI and don't worry about crap. Or just chance it?

·
Registered
509 Posts
Really there isnt much of a difference in performance so I would go short Ram. I like to enjoy driving and dont want to have to watch out for puddles and what not. I believe you will be happy with the steeda or some sort of short ram intake. Goodluck bro

·
Registered
509 Posts
Oh also not to put focussport down I love them but when we took my friends filter off to clean if his piping looked all rusted. The focussport kit is great but not for me since it rains a ton in Ohio... Just a thought..

·
Registered
144 Posts
short for winter and cai for summer

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Just drive smart! Big puddle=don't go thru it. I have the FS CAI and I love it. Gone threw some pretty good puddles and it has been fine. Just be smart and not stupid.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
i have a CAI and i haven't had any problems...i had one all through last winter and spring...LOVE IT

just do what people say above ^^^ just don't drive through puddles...that's bad for your car anyways haha

·
Registered
418 Posts
*Another* intake/hydrolock thread?

·
Banned
2,334 Posts
*Another* intake/hydrolock thread?
thats what im thinking. but you have to think about who is asking the Q. its a newbee. so lets cut the guy some slack. if it was somone that has been on the forum for a coulpe years and has over 1000 posts then fire away.lol , this is his 7th post so he's trying to get his facts right.[cheers]

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Just drive smart! Big puddle=don't go thru it. Just be smart and not stupid.
LOL....I wasn't being "stuipid." Things happen, no matter if your smart or stupid.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Ha! Ok! I will tell 2.0D-Slo-cus what he should do as I have wisdom. If you live in a very rainy area, get the Steeda short ram. If works well and you will not go prematurely grey worrying about a puddle you cannot see because it raining to damn hard. Telling you to avoid the puddle assumes you can see it coming. In St. Louis, we get the 'monsoons' in the spring and fall. 2 inches of rain in 15 minutes. If you get that kind of occasional 'dump', and your streets drainage cannot keep up (typical for this city anyway) then you know how fast those 'puddles' can form. Now if you live in a area where it just rains alot, but you don't get the 'monsoons', then you prob be able to use a CAI.

So! you got to figure this one out on your own. Have fun shopping! [cheers]

·
Fear the TurboSnail!
6,625 Posts
I was stationed up in everett. I was running a AEM CAI for most the time I was there. No issues. And like everyone else has said. Avoid puddles.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
The fact is that merely saying "don't drive through puddles", won't prevent a hydro-lock and severe engine damage. There are plenty of times at night, in traffic, or at other times......when a puddle cannot be avoided.

The difference in performance between a SRI and a CAI, is probably not measurable. Be safe with your Focus....buy a Steeda SRI.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts