Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was cerious cause i was gonna get a new exhaust and i cant decide between the borla or focus sport the only diff i noticed was borlas 2.5" and fs is 2.25"

·
Registered
129 Posts
If you are the power hungry type and plan to continue to mod then the borla is the best choice. If you just want a deeper tone and mild performance increase then, well, any 2 1/4" exhaust will do. Just make sure you search for the brand on here to check for quality.

·
Rebecca
2016 Focus ST
18,803 Posts
actually, the focus sport exhaust replaces the second cat which gives you a better performance increase. I have a SRi intake, and after installing the FS exhaust, I swear the car feels quicker, and I don't just think it is the louder sound. If you plan on going header or turbo in the future, you will want a larger diameter exhaust, but if you aren't getting too serious, I higly suggest the FS exhaust system.

·
Shiroi kabocha
1,974 Posts
^^^ the zetec does not have 2 cats, it only has one. the focussport, like all "cat-back" exhausts for the zetec, do not remove the cat. i have heard both and i would recommend the borla as it seems to me to have more of a growl and tone. also, if you are planning on getting the svt header conversion or getting a race header you might want to look into the svt bolra as it will fit on your hatch but it includes a resonator that is sound matched to the borla muffler.

·
OMGVTAK!
60,646 Posts

·
Retired Focus Addict
9,681 Posts
Duffman355 said:
If you plan on going header or turbo in the future, you will want a larger diameter exhaust, but if you aren't getting too serious, I higly suggest the FS exhaust system.
I plan on getting my header when I eventually recieve my tune and I don't see anything wrong with the focussport system, I know it's only a 2.25" but c'mon if you REALLY think about it it's only a 1/4 inch difference and I also plan on getting cams and I am still keeping the focussport system.

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Ditto to Chad's (S2) ^^^^^

·
Shiroi kabocha
1,974 Posts
wickedlyfast, have you already bought the focussport exhaust? you have the 2.3L and the 2.25" piping will actually choke that engine. the 2.25" is great for the 2.0L but its just not enough to make significant power with the 2.3L.

·
Retired Focus Addict
9,681 Posts
well if someone can actually give me a true answer I may buy the trubenz 2.5 piping and keep the focussport muffler and resonator... but I have to have a detailed answer on why I should do this.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Let us do the math. 2.5/2=1.25 pi*r^2 would equal about 4.9087 inches squared. the length can be ignored do to them being roughly the same. +/- an inch. The area of a cross section of the fs would be pi*1.125^2. The equals about 3.9761 inches squared. The difference would be 0.9326 square inches. Lets say that the length is 4' (48"). Thats 44.768 cubic inches more volume than the Focus Sport BUT that doesn't really matter depending on what you want to do, which you haven't told us yet. People say an exhaust is like breathing threw a straw. Soda straw vs. a slurpee straw. But the reality is to imagine blowing as hard as you can threw a soda straw, slurpee straw, and that card board roll inside paper towels. The soda straw is too restrictive and the card doard roll is too easy and run out of breath too quickly. But an engine is different than your lungs. To just be simple less than 230hp FS, more than 230hp or F/I, Borla or other 2.5''+ exhaust. Also on na you want a little back pressure to accelerate the exhaust out. Smaller emphasizes low end torque and larger emphasizes high end horespower but you not going to notice it. There you go a detailed answer. I just installed a borla on saturday night and have a 2.0 zetec but I plan on going FI but if I wasn't, FS hands down. More displacement needs more volume to flow so the borla would have been better for you. If not die hard performance I wouldn't worry about it, you'd only gain maybe 2-3 hp.

·
Retired Focus Addict
9,681 Posts
well I plan on doing header and cams and then I am done for performance mods... so it looks like going to bigger piping would be my best goal.

·
OMGVTAK!
60,646 Posts
I thought this was Zetec chat not Duratec[neener]

·
Registered
105 Posts
In stock form the FS exhaust with Stealth feature sounds great,nice tone not ricey at all. If you install open end intake. Your not going to hear the exhaust anymore. The intake noise will overpower the exhaust. Your car will pull alittle harder with these mods. If you install a header/flexpipe/ delete cat. (the exhaust will become loud). I believe this is going to be true with just about any exhaust.

·
Something goes here
8,284 Posts
MBRP is also an option stainless steal 2 1/4 for $229.00 dollors

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
couple comments i only have a 2.0 lt engine and rite now i have the magnaflow exhaust that my buddy got for the car when he owned it i just dont like the tone and i wasnt sure about which headers to go svt w/ orp or focus sport w/ a cheater but yeah im more into tuning then sound

·
Shiroi kabocha
1,974 Posts
either way you will need add a resonator. removing the cat increases exhaust volume significantly, and you will end up sounding like a civic...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts