Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is the best oil to use for the fofo?...mine has 70600mi...i know that i want to use mobile 1 but should i use full synthetic or 50/50...what would be the best?....i have'nt change my oil myself so this is why im asking....i got tired of taking it to the oil shop by my house...lol

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
everyone is gunna have there own opinion on what kind of oil they use, and i use whatever oil is on sale, i switch from Plat. penz, to mobil1 to castro..... but i do get full synth.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
at this point, its not really gonna help too much w/ fully synthetic. you need to use it from day one. really, any blend will do ish.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so i shouldn't go with full synthetic....just out of curiosity...why?

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
u use fully synthetic from day one. well, at least till ur engine is broken in, after ur second oil change. by now, u have ware on ur rings. its not going to hurt at all, but u won't really be doing ur engine any more good. it might help a little. but not very much as if it were new.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks!

·
Registered
975 Posts
amsoil FTW

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Only correct answer will be answered by doing a Used Oil Analysis.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I personally recommend Mobil 1 full synthetic. I run it in every vehicle I own. Even with used cars that I buy I swap them to Mobil 1 no matter what was run in them before. Within 1 or 2 oil changes you will notice your used motor oil comes out cleaner which means less gunk is in you motor. Less gunk = more power and smoother running. Also, if your not racing your car you can drive it longer between oil changes when using synthetic motor oil.

·
Registered
15 Posts
When it comes down to it synthetic, blend, or conventional i use castrol gtx syn blend. Its made from castor oil instead of crude it helps get rid of engine sludge doesnt break down at high heat and even if u get conventional gtx its so refined that its practicaly synthetic. JUST MAKE SURE TO USE 5-20 GRADE trust me. And for the love of god dont use Penzoil that stuff has the lowest breakdown temp than any other brand name oil out there.

·
Registered
975 Posts
^^^^
u watch to many of those castrol comercials.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Even with used cars that I buy I swap them to Mobil 1 no matter what was run in them before. Within 1 or 2 oil changes you will notice your used motor oil comes out cleaner which means less gunk is in you motor. Less gunk = more power and smoother running.
This could also be due to the fact that you're actually changing the oil, unlike whoever had the car before you. However, I also use Mobil 1 (full synthetic) these days. I have also used Castrol Syntec quite a bit. My S2000 grew up on Mobil 1 after the break-in period. Generally speaking, if I buy a car new I switch it to full synthetic after the break-in period. If I buy it used, I'll run partial synthetic for an oil change or two, then full synthetic (decreased wear is still decreased wear).

-Jason

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
When it comes down to it synthetic, blend, or conventional i use castrol gtx syn blend. Its made from castor oil instead of crude it helps get rid of engine sludge doesnt break down at high heat and even if u get conventional gtx its so refined that its practicaly synthetic. JUST MAKE SURE TO USE 5-20 GRADE trust me. And for the love of god dont use Penzoil that stuff has the lowest breakdown temp than any other brand name oil out there.

So what is "castor oil"?

Now you dig through the Castrol site and you tell me that again -- > http://www.castrol.com/castrol/castrolhomepage.do?categoryId=3240&contentId=6007789

I've heard that story before. Still have yet to see proof.
Don't kid yourself it's base oil is crude just like many many other oils.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Holy Castrol kickback, Batman!

But seriously, as far as Pennzoil goes, I knew a guy who poured in some Pennzoil on top of (I think it was Quaker State) some other oil in his Mercedes 190E. The weights were the same. Shortly thereafter, he ended up with a lobe sheered off of his camshaft. I don't know whether it was Pennzoil specifically or just the mixing of different brands, but that was like 11 years ago and I still think of it when I hear/see "Pennzoil".

Funny though, Pennzoil and Quaker State both sound like Pennsylvania brands to me.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Search Button.... For me is RP

·
I.S.A.I.K.I.
5,413 Posts
Only correct answer will be answered by doing a Used Oil Analysis.
Here is a Four Ball Test that Amsoil conducted against the other top brand synthetics out there.

It's all the way at the bottom of this link below.

http://www.amsoil.com/performancetests/g1971/index.aspx

I prefer Amsoil 0w20.
From a non-biased standpoint, by far the best that I've used.

If anyone is interested in purchasing Amsoil Full Syn products, I'm a licensed dealer and have been given permission by the site admin to sell here.

PM me if you would like the link to my website.

·
Banned
143 Posts
what basis are people using to say that whatever oil is the "best one i'ved used so far"? im curious. is it the best because everyone says they like it? im betting if i snuck into someones garage and drained out their beloved royal purple and replaced it with dreaded pennzoil, the owner wont know the difference. im sure the engine runs smoother with some nice synthetic but i im guessing 90% of the smoothness is in the head. i just stated using castrol synthetic because apparently synthetics offer better protection. so far i havent noticed any big difference but im sure its better for the engine. my point is that you really cant tell the differene between 2 decent oils so there really is no point stressing over whether to use mobil1 or royal purple. it just comes down to price, brand preference and what youve heard from others.

·
FUBARCUS
2003 ZX3 2016 FoST
7,787 Posts
I use penzoil platinum and I am on my second round of that and I have no problems what so ever.

·
Registered
975 Posts
age, u are right saying that most ppl wont notice a difference while driving. i notice the difference when u change the oil. all other oils i have used when i hit the 3k mark and change it the oil is broken down and doesnt really feel like oil when u rub it between ur fingers and in most cases the oil is very black. with the AMSOIL on the first oil change the oil is black but still feels like oil. on the second and any other oil change u do there after the old oil that comes out is still semi brown and feels like brand new. and thats changing it after 7500 miles. and it has been like that in all 3 of my vehicles and dads car as well.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts