Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im new here and im making my focus an autocross car and im looking to get an exhaust and i want to know what exhaust will give me the most hp and still sound good

·
Registered
11,161 Posts
Stock, you can do a search on this and get a whole lot of opinions but the truth is the stock exhaust is VERY good on the SVTF. Unless you go FI, you won't see any gains. The SVTF already has mandrel bent tubing in a large enough diameter to support the hp it's putting out and probably up to around 200hp without seeing much loss. The best thing you can do if you're wanting a better exhaust is to get an R/T high-flow cat and chop off your rear resonator and weld a pipe in it's place. But on a stock engine I think the R/T cat is overkill.

·
Registered
11,161 Posts
Oh, and welcome to the site!!! [wave]

·
SVT Fanatic
2,615 Posts
BASICALLY THE ONLY RESTRICTION IN A STOCK SVT EXHAUST ARE THE CATS!!

sorry, i see this topic every single day and it's sickening..

·
Registered
139 Posts
svt2nv04 said:
sorry, i see this topic every single day and it's sickening..
You mean you don't find some comfort in seeing the exact same question asked day-in and day-out?

·
SVT Fanatic
2,615 Posts
we need to make a sticky on basic performance do's and don'ts for the SVT focus! i'm sending WD40 and/or jaykirs a pm about this. i think that'll be a good idea. it'd also be a good idea for the newbies to do a little search once in a while. [thumb]

you know, when i first went on this site all i did was reading, months before i even officially joined the site. it says dec 2004, well i bought my car in july 2004 and i used this forum a month before i even bought it to figure out what exactly i wanted as far as options and colors go etc. i was doing a lot of reading and learning about these cars first. to this day, i still do a search if i'm ever curious about something. if nothing really comes up to help me, then i start a new thread. there's literally a million threads on exhausts, i swear to it!

this is nothing on you personally, 03superfocus, this happens a lot with the newbs that come here. it usually doesn't bother me, but it's lately just getting rediculous IMO

·
Registered
139 Posts
svt2nv04 said:
you know, when i first went on this site all i did was reading, months before i even officially joined the site. it says dec 2004, well i bought my car in july 2004 and i used this forum a month before i even bought it to figure out what exactly i wanted as far as options and colors go etc. i was doing a lot of reading and learning about these cars first. to this day, i still do a search if i'm ever curious about something. if nothing really comes up to help me, then i start a new thread.
Same here. I read through most of the stickies to try to learn just these sorts of things so that I didn't come off as a search-illiterate doofus. It wasn't even that hard to find out a great deal about most of the common bolt-on upgrades.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah i did acctually look everything up but i was wondering if there was an exhaust i didnt get to or anything and i wont have a stock engine for very long im making an autocross car i already have an AEM CAI after the exhaust i was looking to go into new headers and throttle bodies before i go on to other things so i was wondering if anyone had any exhauts that would give me a bigger hp gain

·
SVT Fanatic
2,615 Posts
03SuperFocus said:
yeah i did acctually look everything up but i was wondering if there was an exhaust i didnt get to or anything and i wont have a stock engine for very long im making an autocross car i already have an AEM CAI after the exhaust i was looking to go into new headers and throttle bodies before i go on to other things so i was wondering if anyone had any exhauts that would give me a bigger hp gain
dude do NOT do a damn thing to that header!

i can't believe that my first post said in caps that there is no restriction in the SVTF exhaust except for the cats, then you go ask about a header [8]

some mods that you should look into to get the most out of this car are tune, the RT high flow cat, a short throw shifter w/ VF engineering's rear engine mount, you already have intake, and a throttle body (focus-central 65mm). the absolute best mod out of all of those is the tune. i don't know if you've noticed, but the SVTF is sluggish with the factory tune. high idle and bogging are a couple of it's annoyances. a tune will also make your car a good bit quicker. the gain is around 10-15 hp and tq with the added driveability and better feel. a tune should be your first mod. [thumb]

a couple of the most popular tuners are Tom at focus-power.com who deals with the diablo predator which is what i have and wayne at hypillauto.com who deals with SCT. you can at least do a search on those two tuners right? lol there is an abundance of information on them

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
No no... do the header...

Do it, and give me that old, unwanted SVT header...
i'll take it off your hands. I'll even pay shipping since i'm such a nice guy.

·
Dragon Warrior
309 Posts
subLYMONal messaging.

I want a sprite now!!!

·
SVT Fanatic
2,615 Posts
Black&Tan said:
No no... do the header...

Do it, and give me that old, unwanted SVT header...
i'll take it off your hands. I'll even pay shipping since i'm such a nice guy.
[rofl]

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
The only real reason to get an aftermarket exhaust is for the sound. I would still have my stock set-up but i was given a free a magnaflow cat-back. I would save your money and either get a highflow cat, or a cat delete.

·
Registered
351 Posts
These gents have all been offering you good advice. One thing I'd like to point out however, is that the BEST thing you can do to your car for autocross, aside from tires, tune, etc. .. is SEAT time. Go drive. The greatest built NA SVT in the world isn't going to be any faster at the track than your stock one if you don't know how to control the power and the car.

·
Registered
511 Posts
^^^ I think Carrera will kiss you for saying that.

But as far as perfomance "adders" go, IMO you will only go as far as your tires can take you.

·
Registered
185 Posts
If you mod your car, you'll move out of G Stock, where you may have a chance as a newbie to something where there's some serious competition.

·
Registered
11,161 Posts
Like I said and most others have already said. SVTF exhaust is top notch from the factory. You WILL NOT find a better header out there. Performance gains seen from a full exhaust install will be minimal if any at all and definately not worth the money. Much more gain will be seen from a tune, intake, STS, rear engine mount, and even a good set of tires. Listen to the guys who have been here for a while, we know what we're talking about.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
SVT_BMXer said:
The only real reason to get an aftermarket exhaust is for the sound. I would still have my stock set-up but i was given a free a magnaflow cat-back. I would save your money and either get a highflow cat, or a cat delete.
Enough said. There are a lot of threads like this one, please do a search. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts