Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its intermitent but usualy lately when I first start driving the car I smell something burning (burning plastic smell) but can't find the source, it goes away after a while and doesn't do it every time but most.
Looked under the car to see if there was a stuck bag on the exhaust but none to be found.

Mods:
Intake and cat back exhaust
Blau MP3 radio swap (removed it and inspected no signs of trouble found)
Fuse box mod for DLR as foglights (checked fuse box jumper no signs of trouble)

Everything works but my heated seat on the drivers side, the stink is there with the power switch turned off to the seat.

Not sure if its coming from the vent or not, heat is always on will try driving with fan and heat on and see if it stops..

Any suggestions please?

·
Registered
210 Posts
your post sounds like it would be a great game show Whats Thats Smell i can see abc running it hahah as for that smell im not sure hopefully some1 who knows much more then i do can help you good luck bro

·
Registered
240 Posts
its only on start ups?i bet what ^^^^ he said its true that could be some oil is burning man.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
definately the smell of plastic not oil. They smell different...

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
yep. check to see if you are leaking oil from valve cover onto your header. You probably only notice it on start up bacuase there is no airflow. Once you get moving the air will take the smoke out and the smell goes away

·
Registered
305 Posts
Its intermitent but usualy lately when I first start driving the car I smell something burning (burning plastic smell) but can't find the source, it goes away after a while and doesn't do it every time but most.
Looked under the car to see if there was a stuck bag on the exhaust but none to be found.

Mods:
Intake and cat back exhaust
Blau MP3 radio swap (removed it and inspected no signs of trouble found)
Fuse box mod for DLR as foglights (checked fuse box jumper no signs of trouble)

Everything works but my heated seat on the drivers side, the stink is there with the power switch turned off to the seat.

Not sure if its coming from the vent or not, heat is always on will try driving with fan and heat on and see if it stops..

Any suggestions please?
most likely a short if your heatseat is not functioning. duck your head w/a flashlight and start poking around.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts