Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the performance package comes with 18" wheels, and supposedly "sport-tuned suspension", but what exactly does that mean? Is the car any lower? Spring rates different? Different shocks with upgraded jounce/rebound settings? Are the seats any different? I'm contemplating adding it to my upcoming order, but if the biggest thing is just 18" wheels and a "Sport" badge on the hatch lid, I'll pass.

·
Registered
724 Posts
It comes with different part number front springs (same rear) as the base Ti and SEL. The shocks are unique to the pkg and are described as performance compared to standard or touring.

I have never seen an S but all the other models come with the same bucket seats the fabric (or leather) and stitching makes them look unique. The back seat can be one piece folding, 60/40 folding or 60/40 folding with a folding center arm rest.

When it comes to packages with names like sport or performance it means what ever the marketing folks want it to mean and generally implies you are getting more than you actually do.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
The Ti is standard with "Sport Bucket" seats, which have thicker bolsters than the normal cloth seats. The only other car available with those are the SE with Sport Package. Any upgrade to leather as far as I know also gets sport seats, as all the leather options are for sport buckets.

The Ti handling package gets revised suspension bits (as explained above) a full size spare tire, and the unique 18"s. Looks pretty nice with those wheels, but there isn't much else different.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
My suggestion: If you plan on getting a Ti either way, the sports package is a great deal for the money - so you should get it.

BUT: If you plan on getting a lower trim or modding your car (i.e. lowering it), then I wouldn't get the handling package because then you're paying for performance parts twice. In fact, I would get an SE (or SEL if you NEED the parking package) - then mod the suspension myself. It all depends on what you plan on doing with the car.

·
Sonic Crew #04
7,513 Posts
It also means 18 and Zr rated tires. I wished my Ti would could go 195.
just drive it off a cliff and it will go that fast until it hits the ground.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd like to do the Eibach springs at some point. The 18s look great, but then again so do the stock Titanium 17s and I wouldn't necessarily have to buy winter tires (all-seasons work in the snow, PS3s don't). Part of me thinks I ought to save the $470 or whatever it is and spend it on the Eibachs and snow tires for skiing. If the mood ever strikes me I can pick up a set of the OEM 18s when the 17s tires' wear out, or maybe go aftermarket.

·
Registered
724 Posts
The Ti is standard with "Sport Bucket" seats, which have thicker bolsters than the normal cloth seats. The only other car available with those are the SE with Sport Package. Any upgrade to leather as far as I know also gets sport seats, as all the leather options are for sport buckets.

The Ti handling package gets revised suspension bits (as explained above) a full size spare tire, and the unique 18"s. Looks pretty nice with those wheels, but there isn't much else different.
I have sat in an SE with the "sport
pkg" and checked through the widow of a Ti with the "performance pkg" other than colors and stitching and fabric i couldn't tell the seats to be any different than the ones in my SEL.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Couple other down sides of the handling package I am aware of is a slightly larger turn radius. They put stops in to accommodate the wider wheels/tires (to prevent rubbing). You also lose a little trunk/hatch storage space due to the full size spare. But, the 18's do look nice and I probably would have gone that way except I have 6 months of winter in OH and didn't want to do the seasonal swap-out.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
I'm in WI and I figured I NEEDED the swap out! ^_^

I'll be taking the steering limiters off during the winter, but I'll have to bear with the 3" loss of trunk depth.

·
Registered
202 Posts
My SE with the Sport package just got Rear Disc, Alloy 16" Wheels and the Sport Seats. I don't believe there was any suspension mods. It was $700 well spent for the wheels and Rear Disc in my opinion. I don't remember the stock seats but I like the Sports and so does the wife (the important part).

·
Registered
321 Posts
So that's why my turning radius SUCKS. It is seriously horrible, possibly one of the worst I've seen. That's saying a lot, because I am a valet and have been in about every car imaginable. Having said that, turning radius isn't really something I look for in a car, nor would it affect my decision to get the 18's. The 18's make a huuuuuge difference in looks.

EDIT: oh ya, I don't think the full-size spare really takes up a ton of room. I have it plus the Sony sub back there & I still think my trunk is pretty big for a small car

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
The 18's make a huuuuuge difference in looks.
+1

But in the winter, my street (which is less than 40' curb-to-curb) gets even thinner - so I'll be needing to take off those steering limiters.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Agree the 'Sport package" was vital to get the rear disc brakes on my manual tranny SE.
I also like the optional wheels then .. so for an additional $495 i got the 17" wheels.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
There is no "Sport" badge on the hatch lid. It's called the TITANIUM lol. It's actually pretty sweet, I love my 18" wheels and love the suspension set up (not that I know how much different it actually is). You do "feel" the bumps a little more than you probably would in the regular set up.

·
Registered
202 Posts
With the sport pkg on the se it appears to have different springs than none sport...
On ford.com the "details" do not list any suspension mods for the SE Sport package. If there are any I would like to know what they are. Where did you get your info?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts