Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this has been discussed already. Just wondering if there is any reason to trade in my 2013 for a 2015. Mine still runs great, but I would love to see improvements in the software - Sync, Nav, etc.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Enhanced SYNC AppLink
Focus drivers will have access to powerful new capabilities thanks to a host of functions developers can integrate as they modify their apps to communicate with enhanced SYNC® AppLink™.

Android and iOS smartphone users can download more than 60 AppLink-enabled apps from the Apple App Store and Android market.

New functions include:

Connected apps can access a variety of real-time vehicle data such as speed, acceleration, odometer and location information that can be used by the app to further customize and personalize the owner experience. For example, access to the in-vehicle GPS signal can enable more precise and accurate location-based services than phone sensors
More consistent user experience thanks to voice pass-through capability. This enables developers to use on-device or cloud-based voice-recognition systems to evaluate driver commands, meaning drivers can use the same set of voice commands to control an app when connected to the vehicle as they would use when not connected
Notifications read aloud as a driver enters the car, with no need to touch the phone. Best of all, alerts are available any time a mobile device is connected to SYNC AppLink, even if the app is not currently active. This means a driver could get an alert about a traffic jam ahead while listening to the radio or using another app.

Advanced technologies
A package of sensors - driver-assist technologies
standard rear view camera on either a 4.2-inch screen or the 8-inch screen
Blind Spot Information System
Lane-keeping system
BLIS® uses two advanced multiple-beam radar modules, the same used with cross-traffic alert, which are packaged in both rear quarter panels. The radar identifies when a vehicle enters the defined blind spot zone and illuminates an indicator light on the corresponding sideview mirror, providing a warning that a vehicle is approaching.

The new Focus benefits from advancements in suspension and chassis upgrades.
These include a new shock absorber valve design providing improved interior quietness, and a change to the rear suspension to give drivers a more connected feel to the road. The electric power-assisted steering has been retuned to make the driver feel even more connected to the road.
New seat trims and switches, and an available heated steering wheel. A new center console incorporating adjustable cupholders improves storage capacity.
Signature LED lighting for headlamps and taillamps.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
The new Focus benefits from advancements in suspension and chassis upgrades.
These include a new shock absorber valve design providing improved interior quietness, and a change to the rear suspension to give drivers a more connected feel to the road...
Does this mean stiffer suspension at all 4 corners?

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Does this mean stiffer suspension at all 4 corners?
Ford engineers have improved the front end structural stiffness of the new Focus by increasing the thickness of two brackets within the engine bay and using a stronger metal arc welding technique to reduce body flex during cornering, delivering sharper responses and greater agility.
New Multi-Tune Valve Damper technology offers improved shock absorber
performance and durability, as well as enabling engineers to deliver the optimum balance between body control and driver comfort.
In addition, the suspension geometry on the new Focus has been fine-tuned and the rubber lower control arm suspension bushes have been increased in stiffness by over 20 per cent.
This reduces the amount of flexibility between the metal mounting surfaces during high-load conditions – such as when cornering – and minimises unwanted wheel movement. The front bushes also now feature flared edges that clamp over the suspension hub and chassis mounting points, further reducing movement of the connected components.
The statement which I highlighted Bold area has been noticed by all reviewers, so the engineers seemed to have accomplished their goal.

One reviewer who test drove the new Focus back to back with the current Focus, said the new car is a tad more fun, but the differences between the two are small. Less body roll has been mentioned by a couple reviewers.

The retuned EPAS (electric steering) have been mentioned as the biggest improvement by all the reviewers I have read so far.
Engineers have retuned the EPAS system to reduce the amount of effort required to steer, eliminate neutral zones from the steering operation, and deliver almost instantaneous feedback from the road surface to enable more instinctive steering.

There is also a new feature added called Enhanced Transitional Stability (ETS)

All reviews so far all state that the Focus is still the best driver in the class.

·
Registered
122 Posts
All that is well and good. The new focus no longer looks sporty. This consumer says sorry Ford I will not be trading for this model design. Too bad I like my focus but this one is unfocused.[nono]

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Ford engineers have improved the front end structural stiffness of the new Focus by increasing the thickness of two brackets within the engine bay and using a stronger metal arc welding technique to reduce body flex during cornering, delivering sharper responses and greater agility.
New Multi-Tune Valve Damper technology offers improved shock absorber
performance and durability, as well as enabling engineers to deliver the optimum balance between body control and driver comfort.
In addition, the suspension geometry on the new Focus has been fine-tuned and the rubber lower control arm suspension bushes have been increased in stiffness by over 20 per cent.
This reduces the amount of flexibility between the metal mounting surfaces during high-load conditions – such as when cornering – and minimises unwanted wheel movement. The front bushes also now feature flared edges that clamp over the suspension hub and chassis mounting points, further reducing movement of the connected components.
The statement which I highlighted Bold area has been noticed by all reviewers, so the engineers seemed to have accomplished their goal.

One reviewer who test drove the new Focus back to back with the current Focus, said the new car is a tad more fun, but the differences between the two are small. Less body roll has been mentioned by a couple reviewers.

The retuned EPAS (electric steering) have been mentioned as the biggest improvement by all the reviewers I have read so far.
Engineers have retuned the EPAS system to reduce the amount of effort required to steer, eliminate neutral zones from the steering operation, and deliver almost instantaneous feedback from the road surface to enable more instinctive steering.

There is also a new feature added called Enhanced Transitional Stability (ETS)

All reviews so far all state that the Focus is still the best driver in the class.
Thanks for the details. Sounds like incremental updates, but nevertheless, updates with value (opinions will vary of course).

·
Registered
322 Posts
I can't wait to see the USA build sheet. I like the look outside and inside but am hoping that HID headlights can be ordered as factory option. Otherwise I'll be keeping my SE

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
All that is well and good. The new focus no longer looks sporty. This consumer says sorry Ford I will not be trading for this model design. Too bad I like my focus but this one is unfocused.[nono]
To each their own. I prefer the 15 over the 14, for instance. 15 looks more classy, upscale, and powerful.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I wonder if some of those things (like the body stiffening) are just being added to the production line as we are typing this.. So some 2014 cars will have them?
Or is Ford usually pretty clean on keeping those small things from model years separate? [bigcry]

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I wonder if some of those things (like the body stiffening) are just being added to the production line as we are typing this.. So some 2014 cars will have them?
Or is Ford usually pretty clean on keeping those small things from model years separate? [bigcry]
Most manufacturers are pretty good about keeping structural changes (with or without cosmetic changes) separated by model years / editions.

You'll see (at least) Ford many times make in model year changes to some parts. Sometimes looking them up in the parts books comes down to a matter of build date, but usually it's a matter of a part superseding another part across the whole model year.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Unfortunately, no.

The body stiffening, new steering rack, front suspension improvements, etc. will start with the 2015 MY cars.

What surprises me is that Ford will continue to use the "old" 2.0L EcoBoost engine in the 2015 ST (although I would imagine that it will be replaced by MY 2016 at the latest).

·
Registered
378 Posts
Unfortunately, no.

The body stiffening, new steering rack, front suspension improvements, etc. will start with the 2015 MY cars.

What surprises me is that Ford will continue to use the "old" 2.0L EcoBoost engine in the 2015 ST (although I would imagine that it will be replaced by MY 2016 at the latest).
That is why rumors of Focus RS are circulating...

·
Registered
620 Posts
Advanced technologies
A package of sensors - driver-assist technologies
standard rear view camera on either a 4.2-inch screen or the 8-inch screen
Blind Spot Information System
Lane-keeping system
BLIS® uses two advanced multiple-beam radar modules, the same used with cross-traffic alert, which are packaged in both rear quarter panels. The radar identifies when a vehicle enters the defined blind spot zone and illuminates an indicator light on the corresponding sideview mirror, providing a warning that a vehicle is approaching.
I read that list as a what the frell do I need all of that stuff for. [?|] An 8" screen! Just what I wouldn't want stuck into my dash! I'm betting that if the RS does make it over here it will have all this crap in it. I can only hope it doesn't. [thumbd] I just don't understand where designers are going these days. I guess I'm definately NOT their target owner. [:(]

Reactions: Arco-Zakus

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Designers are going toward technology to assist the driver with various activities. You may not agree with those activities, but they are coming and all we can do is choose to not use them if we so desire.

I said the same thing when technology moved to front disc brakes, but then I eventually realized the 1960s are over, I need to get with the times or be left behind.

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
Designers are going toward technology to assist the driver with various activities. You may not agree with those activities, but they are coming and all we can do is choose to not use them if we so desire.

I said the same thing when technology moved to front disc brakes, but then I eventually realized the 1960s are over, I need to get with the times or be left behind.
Then I bet four wheel disc brakes really flipped your wig.

The one thing I don't care for is ABS. It's great most of the time but for the same reason I drive a manual transmission, I like to be in charge of modulating the brake.

Any monkey can brake like a pro with ABS...until he hits ice.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
...Any monkey can brake like a pro with ABS...until he hits ice.
And that's just it. Us monkeys that couldn't hit the apex of a corner, or don't know how to handle an off camber, decreasing radii, downgrade worth a crap need that stuff. Regarding ABS, I love it. Mash the pedal on ice and I hope it can stop shorter than my 2Hz pumping of the brake.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Then I bet four wheel disc brakes really flipped your wig.

The one thing I don't care for is ABS. It's great most of the time but for the same reason I drive a manual transmission, I like to be in charge of modulating the brake.
Yes, but isn't it beneficial in some circumstances to be able to modulate each wheel individually?

I believe that having four brake pedals would prove to be rather challenging for most people.

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
Yes, but isn't it beneficial in some circumstances to be able to modulate each wheel individually?

I believe that having four brake pedals would prove to be rather challenging for most people.
You are talking to a guy who was using ABS as far back as 1982 in a BMW 745 and went through a red light at an icy intersection with all my 200 pounds bearing down on the brake pedal and never stopped. (I was driving very slowly and was being cautious at the time) When on ice, ABS can chatter like a machine gun and may not stop the car in time.

·
Registered
620 Posts

I may sound like I'm one of those anti-technology guys but I'm not. I can see where some of this stuff does have a useful place but I also see some it making people into lazy drivers. My biggest concern are the ever growing size of these "infotainment systems". There has been a growing concern with distracted driving well now they are putting large touch screens in the dash. How distracting is that? Why does one need the ability to get text msgs and do web browsing while going down the road. [?|]

1 - 20 of 64 Posts