Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2.3l duratec in my 03 zx3. I just removed the balanceshaft at work and drove it around the block. I dont notice a bad vibration so that is good. the bad thing is I still dont feel like the car has much power.
I have done a few things with the car but I have yet to think that my car will turn the 1/4 mile times that I hear others say they are getting with the same upgrades.
Am I missing something that is in need of work. any input would be great.

here is what I have.

03 zx3 2.3l 5spd manual.
focus sport intake
cosworth stage1 cams
steptube header 1.625"to 1.75" primaries 29"long, 2.5" collector 4"long
2.5" exhaust
sct reflash
cosworth flywheel
balanceshaft delete

I am hoping to get forged 11.6:1 pistons and eagle rods by the end of the year. but wish to know anyones opinon on my car first thanks.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
maybe I am expecting to much from what little that I have done. has anyone out there with the same kind of mods had thier car dynoed or have time slips from the strip.

·
☼
7,494 Posts
You have intake/cams/header/exhaust/tune/bs delete/flywheel on a 5spd. That's hardly a lightly modded car. Maybe you are just expecting too much, honestly.

·
Registered
930 Posts
You should be in the high 14s, all you have to do is pick a nice, cool track day at a lower elevation (1000-0 feet above sea level), and drive it nice. My car would be a high 14 sec car NA if I could get a good track day, but I have to wait until fall because it is like hell's kitchen here in the summer. You have more NA mods than I do, so you should be faster (that and the d23 to my d20)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
maybe so. I am used to my old v8s. But I hear of people running into the mid 14s with cars like mine. maybe I need to take another trip to LACR.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
to bad about the altitude and 110+ temp. my traction sucks too. got 205/50zr16 BFG Gsports, and an open diff.

·
Registered
454 Posts
get the cossi manifold and turbo that bad boy....

or you could work on your suspension. you may not have more power but i think it's just as fun to fly around corners.

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
What header is that on your car?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah I would love to get the intake manifold form cosworth, the price on it sucks $700 for a intake manifold sucks.
and I have gone to the local solo2 days at cali speedway and norton AFB that is a one thing I would like to do more.
as for the header, I designed and built it myself with the help from my schooling from kent fisk. and then took my design to a old header maker that has been building headers since the 50s named Jack davis and he helped me build two differant headers that have both gone through a lot of changes since I got the car in 03. The one I have now has the best power over the entire power band.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am trying to find my pics of my headers. I just got married so evertything I own has just gone missing. huh

·
Registered
454 Posts
Foci_Fosho said:
If you could afford it... dyno tuning, and cam adjustment may be what you need.
i second that....

·
Registered
930 Posts
spyke427 said:
yeah I would love to get the intake manifold form cosworth, the price on it sucks $700 for a intake manifold sucks.
You need to get the one that Walter Marcy is making. It will be a direct replacement (so it shouldn't need any CARB approval), and as such will keep the tumble flaps, making no need for special tuning. It will competitive with the Cossie piece in performance, but way cheaper.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts