Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got home last night after a week's vacay to find a puddle of red fluid under the right front tire of the SVT. (Yeah, kinda directly below the degas/coolant and power steering reservoirs.) My wife's reaction: "The car is BLEEDING."

Just wondered if any of you know what the obvious/usual culprits would be, before I start trying to figure it out myself today...

I know that Mercon is red (power steering fluid), so I'm thinking it's that or brake fluid. But is coolant red? (In any event, I certainly hope it's NOT tranny fluid.) Other than that, master cylinder?

I'm clueless about all this, so any advice is much appreciated.

(What's irritating is that I just had it at the stealership a month ago and had it checked for leaks...) [mad]

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Normally a trans leak would end up closer to the center of the car, as opposed closer to a wheel.

The P/S fluid is normally the only other red fluid......and it could leak from a number of places close to a wheel. The steering rack boot can drip out fluid (internal seal leaking). The P/S pump as well as the lines can leak, dripping close to the wheel.

I'd say jack it up and look yourself, before you take it somewhere. A new leak can spring up anytime.....

Good luck.

Reactions: shepski

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
if its leaking red fuild im sure its safe to rule out your anti freeze and brake fluid.... im sure it won't change color while in use..... but you can alway open up the resavor and take a look to see what color....

if it's been awhile since th tranny fluid has been change, then it should be like a "Brown" color.... darker the older.... lighter the newer.

but i would use the advice that blue gave...

jack up the car and take a closer look

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, gentlemen!

Now, if I only had a jack... (a REAL jack, I mean, not the emergency one)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts