Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive a 2002 Focus with about 65k miles on it, no engine mods at all, and I'm watching my gas milage drop like a rock. Back in the day (last summer) I used to easily get 27-32 MPG, no problem. I even drove with fairly agressive acceleration, but I think I made up for that because I never had to accelerate back out of turns, because I never slowed down in the first place. Also, I use cruise control as much as I possibly can (keeps me from speeding). In any case, I've been keeping up to date on things like oil changes, etc. I've gotten my oil changed on time, every time (since I've owned the car, at least. It was a company car before, I've gotta believe it was well maintained then, as well), I've even got a new radiator, the result of a crash, along with nearly every fluid the dealership tests, from when I first got the car. Still, though, I watch my gas mileage drop, and now a third of a tank and 80 miles in, I'm staring at my lowest gas mileage yet, which will probably be below 24.

I didn't change the fuel filter at 60k, is that a big problem? I do always get my gas from the same place, is it possible that BP is "watering down" the gas, or is that an urban legend? What kinds of things are there that I can do to maintain the engine that will increase gas mileage (clean spark plugs, etc).

Poor Focus...

·
GreyRice WOoT!
10,786 Posts
i got 44k on my fofo and agter i changed the fuelfilter it seemed as tho my mppg went down, so im thinking it may be time for new plugs, id try the plugs+filter and see what happens

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have seen where some stations are using ethanol up to 10% in gas.This will hurt as alcohol does not give you the same mileage as petroleum fuel,although your case does seem to be more extrteme.There are things you can do to help with mileage;Make sure your alignment is spot on along with proper air pressure.Take any excess weight out of the trunk(dump the cooler)Take the 6 foot wing off the trunk (Kidding!) anything you can do to make your car roll along more efficiently will help.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm, alignment and air pressure is great, I just got a tire replaced less than a month ago and they fixed them all, at the time. Doesn't seem to be any massive extra weight in the trunk (mostly empty).

Is the fuel filter an easy DIY job?

I'll take the 6 foot wing off :p I think the keg in the trunk will stay, though :p

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
I would do the fuel filter anyway, but I"ll bet you are filling up with 10% ethanol. My state just went to it and IT SUCKS.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Uggghhh. Doesn't anyone realize that if you do the math, ethanol has almost no benefit? I live in michigan, is there any place to check the ethanol stats? I think it's ridiculous my car is built for something, then the state decides I can't have it (regualr gas, that is). That's bullshit!

·
( o Y o )
5,549 Posts
i have my fuel filter waiting for me to put in it (went over 40k miles 2k miles ago :-X) and ive gotten under there to see what it entails. Doesnt see TOOO bad, but there is one side that seems a little harder to reach. I want to do this when im home so my dad can help me cuz ive never done it before and its also dealing with gas lines.

·
my car breaks!
2,103 Posts
fuel filter will make a huge differance, change your oil at the same time, and run some lucas injector cleaner aswell, on your first tank of gas after changing the filter. also might want to change the air filter and check the PCV valve while your at it,

you do all those things and i bet your MPG will go up 6 or 7

·
( o Y o )
5,549 Posts
i need to clean my ITG air filter too...about 12k miles on it...have to get the recharge kit from focussport

·
Registered
304 Posts
If you have been running on regular gas and then suddenly switch to an ethanol blend, it may clog up your fuel filter. So with the filter change you may be pleasently surprised. The ethanol acts like solvent to whatever sludge that was left from your regular gas that you ran before. I just change my filter and I'm back up in the 30 to 31 mpg range on that crappy E-10 gas. Without my intake, ignition, and exhaust mods, I was getting only about 28 mpg on E-10 and about 32 mpg on regular gas.

On a foot note, I think the E-10 is a scam also. It's forcing everyone to burn more fuel at a much higher price, so the reduction in polution output is almost cancelled out by the decrease in fuel economy. The addition of the 10% ethanol made all of my vehicles drop about about 10% of their average fuel economy. It's such a waste ..... just my $0.02.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts