Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
https://vimeo.com/110495890

The radio would also cut out, but muted it for the video. Sometimes I would hear a click, and then the hesitation would happen. Any help or information would be appreciated. If you guys need more info, ask, and I'll answer as best I can.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I should add that I turned on the lights, and it seemed to fix the problem.

·
Registered
522 Posts
One question: Have you noticed that the power locks have gotten very slow and the dome light dim when on the 'on with door open' switch position?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have noticed that when I try to alarm my car, sometimes the horn is oddly quiet. On accessory, the windows go up really slow, almost don't make it all, but I haven't checked the dome light (I usually leave it off). I'll check it out when I can, and reply back.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I posted the same question on The Car Lounge, and someone said foci are notorious for corroded battery cables. Any truth to this?

I also recently installed new plugs/wires, and an optima battery for unrelated issues.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I posted the same question on The Car Lounge, and someone said foci are notorious for corroded battery cables. Any truth to this?

I also recently installed new plugs/wires, and an optima battery for unrelated issues.
never herd that one,

something is loose maybe????

does it happen after driving over a hump in the road or in a small hole causing a bump in the ride??

i still think it could be your ignition switch,

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
never herd that one,

something is loose maybe????

does it happen after driving over a hump in the road or in a small hole causing a bump in the ride??

i still think it could be your ignition switch,
i don't recall it happening over any bumps, but i will tighten everything when i get the chance. and i'll look into the ignition switch. i'm just hoping its not the alternator.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
do you have any warning lights???, does the car start easy every morning??
no check engine light, and starts up without issue.

edit 1:should i be checking ignition switch? or coil?

edit 2: I take back what i said about starting without issue. the car turns over without issue, but it sputters for a bit until it gets a little warmed up.

·
Registered
262 Posts
if you were having alternator problems, the battery would be recieving less charge, leading to the car becoming harder to start,

the problem you are having is most certainly electric/ wiring. you have to think about it,

from what i see, the dash acts like the car is switched off, due to the speedo dropping back to zero, witch happens when you turn the car off,

but when this happens, your car is still running, so the message telling your dash, that the car has been switched off is where the problem liess

have you undergone any work on the car before the symptoms ?????

i would rule out the alternator bro, it does not sound like its bad

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the most recent thing is plugs and wires, which i replaced because of a misfire. that's it. but thanks, i'll definitely check out battery cables/terminals

·
Registered
262 Posts
the most recent thing is plugs and wires, which i replaced because of a misfire. that's it. but thanks, i'll definitely check out battery cables/terminals
Your problem sounds like it could be related to the vehicle speed sensor. This sensor attached to the gearbox informs the speedometer and ECU of the vehicle's speed. If this were to fail, you would expect the speedometer to read zero and perhaps the ECU to be confused, causing the problem.

·
Registered
522 Posts

Every terminal crimp connection in the batt harness (from the battery all the way to the alternator and starter and also on the ground side) is exposed to air. Without being sealed, corrosion will happen deep into the cable where it can't be seen unless you cut it open.

Poor/intermittent ground(s) will cause all manner of electrical problems and you could chase every gremlin ever thought of from the computer to switches to solenoids to sensors.

You have some wiring and/or connection issues.

·
Registered
522 Posts
no check engine light, and starts up without issue.

edit 1:should i be checking ignition switch? or coil?

edit 2: I take back what i said about starting without issue. the car turns over without issue, but it sputters for a bit until it gets a little warmed up.
The coil causing misfires will normally have a CEL and 0300 code with it. Also, a bad coil will not cause the instruments to do that. Being a little cold natured is not unusual unless you have all new fuel filter, plugs, wires & freshly cleaned injectors, etc.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Hmm... I'd think that it's corroded grounds. I replaced the battery grounds and added a second engine ground and my stumbling problem went away.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts