Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Myself, I miss the vent option. The old cable operated knob you pulled to allow outside, unconditioned air to come into the cabin.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Myself, I miss the vent option. The old cable operated knob you pulled to allow outside, unconditioned air to come into the cabin.
[thumb]
Ashtrays lol. I don't smoke, but they were good coin holders.
[thumb]

My big one would be the old check off the boxes to custom order just what you want. You know like a Focus ST with HID lights, full leather interior with heated Recaro seats, moonroof, Comp orange paint, 2 doors and radio delete. [thumb]

·
Registered
32 Posts
That's a good one! Forgot about that. I worked on an assembly line for 20 years, and I rememeber the build sheets. Cars are still built to order, but now dealer just orders what they think they'll sell.

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
[thumb]

[thumb]

My big one would be the old check off the boxes to custom order just what you want. You know like a Focus ST with HID lights, full leather interior with heated Recaro seats, moonroof, Comp orange paint, 2 doors and radio delete. [thumb]
That's a good one! Forgot about that. I worked on an assembly line for 20 years, and I rememeber the build sheets. Cars are still built to order, but now dealer just orders what they think they'll sell.
Actually the customer can still custom order a car, although for a main stream manufacturer like Ford you are still restricted to choosing from the available build configurations. However if your budget is in the hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars a Mclaren/Rolls Royce/Bentley et al will let you have much more customization options.

It's simply not feasible here for a main stream manufacturer for a mass produced item to allow for infinite varieties because that adds complexity, cost, and slows the build down. If the story was ever flipped around where people were patient and willing to wait for a car to be built v.s. wanting to see it on the lot and take it home that day then it might return. Europe seems to prefer to order their cars generally hence the greater variety.

Although you can dream on about them adding in a different body style for a custom order if they are not making them in bulk.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I realize that the big custom type orders aren't possible like a 2 door when they build it in a 4 door but I went into a dealer to see if I could get basically all the stuff in an ST3 package with a ST1 radio and it is not possible. You can't even get something as simple as the HID lights on a ST1. If you check off HID lights, leather Recaros or the upgraded radio you are forced into the whole ST3 package even if you are willing to wait or even pay a premium. It's not Burger King it's McDonald's. This is how your burger comes end of story. [read] If you don't like you can go elsewhere. [?|] I guess this is why I'm still driving my SVT. [thumb]

Reactions: felixthecat

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
I miss automatic seatbelts.
I know they were terrible, but I always thought they were cool.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Full size spare tires. Hate these donuts. Last time I used one was on my maxima and it worked fine but I nearly ripped my the bumper off my Transam when I hit a pothole with it.

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Hi beam headlight pushbutton on the floor....a lot of you young whippersnappers won't remember that one probably lol
I always hated those things. What a stupid place to put the high beam selector. My 1st car was a 65 Lemans and it was on the floor. My second car was a 69 VW with the selector on the column, a major improvement. I still had to remember about the floor whenever I was driving a jeep or a deuce and a half though.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Back in the day 1950's 1960's car came in all sorts of wonderful COLORS.
Now they are all the same grey scale.. Endlessly drab and boring.

Bring back a nice variety of brilliant colors and pastels.. Dump the endless white, grey silver, black, more other grey. etc..
I blame the Japanese for it mostly, but the EU is in on it too.

·
Registered
122 Posts
White walls on tires. I think they are ugly but, that was my job as a kid. An s.o.s pad and a bucket of water to make them white again. I would get 50 cents for my efforts.[bath]

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
I realize that the big custom type orders aren't possible like a 2 door when they build it in a 4 door but I went into a dealer to see if I could get basically all the stuff in an ST3 package with a ST1 radio and it is not possible. You can't even get something as simple as the HID lights on a ST1. If you check off HID lights, leather Recaros or the upgraded radio you are forced into the whole ST3 package even if you are willing to wait or even pay a premium. It's not Burger King it's McDonald's. This is how your burger comes end of story. [read] If you don't like you can go elsewhere. [?|] I guess this is why I'm still driving my SVT. [thumb]
This^^^^^^^^^^^ Your forced into a option package you don't want to get 1 item.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts