Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anything from what 65 and above....sometimes getting ready for a corner I like to upshift and make it sporty...I just dont want to upshift at to high of a speed and watch the tach go through the roof LOL!

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
A good rule is to not downshift into a gear faster than you'd feel safe holding it before shifting up to a higher gear.

If you know your rev limit for the 3-4 shift is between 65-70, then don't downshift going more than 70. If you're keeping your foot out of it, then you'll get some engine braking and be able to stay off the slow pedal in the corner and know you can romp on the loud pedal in the power band coming out of it.
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Focal Distortion
2,332 Posts
well if it redlines at 7200 then keep it under that!
I shoot for 4K as thats where the peek Torque is and it pulls nice from there on up.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
from experience i know that about 63mph in 3rd is about 4500rpms or so.... if that helps. ive done some downshifts from 5th a few times... very peppy.. lol

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Do you have a data logger? (SCT tunner)

You can log all that stuff and know what gear runs at what RPM with that.

You could probobly calculate a bunch more stuff and get some really good gas milage as well.

My car is an auto but this is a log i took that shows a few things i logged. You can log load, the car speed, rpm, all kinds of stuff.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
If you wanna downshift right (ie Heel-Toe) just start practicing when you slow for stop signs and red lights. That is how I got good at it. I can tell by how the car feels if I am going to fast or to slow to warrant the downshift. Once you figure it out you will feel it too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts