Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If there's a thread where this topic already exists, please point me to it.

I finally got around to removing the intake manifold and there is a pretty decent amount of crud built up in each port. Also, in looking down in the TB hole, I saw motor oil in the bottom of it. The factory PCV was on the car when I bought it and I have since changed that out along with the PCV tubes.

What is the best way to clean out the intake manifold? I'm thinking maybe scraping out what I can, then taking it to the car wash and spraying it out with the pressure washer and then soaking it in a tub with a 50/50 mix of purple stuff and water perhaps? The goal is to get the intake as spotless as possible short of buying a new one.

Any suggestions are definitely welcome.

Also, with regards to the intake ports on the head, they have some buildup in them. What's a good way to clean that out? I'm thinking maybe a flathead screwdriver and a damp rag to catch what comes out. Maybe some B12 Chemtool Throttle Body/Carb Cleaner and a toothbrush once I get the heavy stuff out.

I'm sure this is probably quite common with buying a used Focus that didn't have proper maintenance. In all honesty, I'm definitely trying to avoid reinventing the wheel with regards to cleaning both of these out.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
That all sounds good

To keep my rep. for stating the obvious, tie that manifold down somehow before taking the pressure washer to it.

Flying across the pavement & bouncing off whatever it hits might not be good for it.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Hot soapy water and a pressure washer is the best option!

If you have the time you could also let it soak for a day in a tub of hot water and simple green before you hit it with the pressure washer.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you guys! I went to the car wash and hit it with the pressure washer and surprisingly, most of the crud came out, so that's good news.

I was looking for something around the house to soak it in and the trash can in my kitchen will serve as the tub it gets soaked in lol. The intake fit perfectly and the perfect fit will keep me from having to buy excess cleaner to fill it up.

I don't have any Simple Green or Purple Stuff on hand, so Dawn dishwashing detergent and hot water will be doing the honors tonight. I'm thinking of soaking it for a few days. I'll probably hit up Walmart or Home Depot tomorrow and get some Simple Green and let it do a deep soak tomorrow night.

I'm also thinking of spraying some foaming engine cleaner down into the intake after I pull it out and let it soak on the way to the car wash.

Overall, this doesn't appear to be as involved as I originally anticipated and that's a good thing.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I came up with a bright idea that might end up costing me nothing. We'll see soon enough.

I took a can of Easy Off (the yellow can) that I had on hand and sprayed it down into the intake runners and everywhere else. I'm going to let it sit for about 8 to 10 hours and pressure spray it this evening at the car wash. If the Easy Off works as good as I think it will, that might be all I need to do.

I bought a 2.5 gallon jug of Purple Stuff just in case I need to let it so some more. Hopefully, I can return the Purple Stuff this evening because I don't need it. I'll report back my results.

·
Registered
17,175 Posts
I myself never lift a finger to ever clean an intake except when engine being rebuilt, simply no reward for that unless say a model that clogs EGR ports with carbon to make error codes or somesuch. These don't. All the people claiming it 'runs better' should rethink that, more psychological effect than motor.

In all the hundreds of engines I've built I have NEVER seen one do better simply by cleaning the intake, it just doesn't happen. Never even heard of the ritual until Seafoam showed up, I'd think about that linkage for a bit..................the self fulfilling, mind altering, 'I DID THIS!' thing. The human mind is a frail thing and easily damaged.

If less than 1/16" thick then leave it alone, only if it begins to cake up deep should it even be touched at all. The oil in bottom of zetec manifold hurts nothing.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Funny that you mention "until SeaFoam showed up". I was smogging intakes with seafoam back in the early 80's. It's actually been around since the 30's. IMO it works great on any engine running EGR, PCV and EVAP systems. All of these systems do is add crap to your intake and combustion chambers. Never hurts to clean it out every now and then. Is it going to add 50whp, of course not. However it will help your fuel economy and longevity of your engine and sensors.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, so here's a good method for cleaning your intake for those that might come across this thread in the future.

1) Take a screwdriver (or something you can scrape with) and scrape out what you can from each port. The intent here is to get the heavy stuff.

2) Strap the intake manifold down to a cinder block (I used two bungee cords) and spray it thoroughly with a high pressure spray, such as what is used at the car wash. Make sure you spray each intake runner at different angles to ensure you get whatever buildup/crud you have out. Don't be afraid to get up in each opening with the sprayer and spray it really good. Obviously, make sure you turn the intake a few different ways (right side up, upside down and sideways), so that what's in it can drain out.

3) Soak intake manifold in a tub overnight with hot soapy water. I used a trash can, hot water and Dawn dish detergent.

4) The following morning, put on some rubber/latex gloves and spray the intake down with Easy Off. I used the Heavy Duty Easy Off in the yellow can. It's commonly found at any grocery store. Make sure you spray down in the runners at different angles and cover the walls very well. Also, spray the gasket sealing surface and the outside of the intake manifold.

5) Place the intake inside a bin with a lid on it. If you don't have a bin, a trash bag should suffice. The goal here is to minimize air contact, which keeps the Easy Off from drying out. Let the Easy Off set on the intake for 8 to 10 hours.

6) Repeat Step 2. Your intake manifold should be clean. My intake is pretty much spotless and ready to be reinstalled.

A big thank you to everyone that contributed to this thread!!!

·
Registered
17,175 Posts
Hey your stuff, do as you will, I simply have had no need of extra cost chemicals in like 40 years. And from younger days I'm fully aware of the psychological effect, seeing it in others made me recognize I was sometimes doing it to myself as well. Knowing that enables you to truly evaluate the empirical evidence which pretty much in my case showed no improvement any time I tried pretty much any form of auto maintenance chemical. Not enough to justify the cost anyway. Working at auto parts store helps readjust your head to that as well, many will be honest and admit the stuff does nothing. A few honest people are worth more than a thousand self-convinced people of anything.

As far as Seafoam 'showing up', let's say the big push of the last 20 years. I would obviously have ignored it on the shelves before then as well.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I use something called Oil-Eater which you can get at Costco.

Actually works pretty good.

I use old toothbrushes to scrub with.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts