Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgive me if there already has been a post on this issue but I thought Ford was going to release an update to bring App link to all Ford cars equipped with sync going back to 2010?

Did that happened yet? If not, then why not?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I think the current state is that 'app link' is available for first generation Sync systems [ones without the touch screen] - with the implication of no further updates.

MFT equipped cars have had their systems progressively stripped of features in a quest for stability. The 3.6.2 version from 2013 seems to be the last public release [there was a 3.7.x version briefly available, but that was withdrawn]

I do not expect any changes until/unless the new QNX based system is released. That will likely have 'Car Play' [and the Android equivalent] allowing the car's display to be used as a peripheral to software running on a smart phone.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Yeah, that not being available is a minor disappointment. I dont know how MS and Ford screwed up sync so bad. MS of course has their issues but they seemed to have saddled the system with very low CPU power and overall design flaws. I like the system overall but there are some strange design choices like the 4 corners being a pain in the butt to hit because of the depth of the "hole" that the screen is in so when you have nav or whatever full screen you have to fit your finger to that small touch point.

Also nav street entry is SOOOOOOOO slow. I dont use nav a ton, but it gets aggravating.

I think if the CPU had the power that cell phones had 2 years ago it would be so much better.

Some other quirks are annoying too, like DONT EVEN TRY to download a sirius channel list, it took nearly an hour to download. Thankfully it let me enter voice commands to play other stuff while it downloaded.

Oh and mine has the latest 3.7 software installed.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I think the current state is that 'app link' is available for first generation Sync systems [ones without the touch screen] - with the implication of no further updates.

MFT equipped cars have had their systems progressively stripped of features in a quest for stability. The 3.6.2 version from 2013 seems to be the last public release [there was a 3.7.x version briefly available, but that was withdrawn]

I do not expect any changes until/unless the new QNX based system is released. That will likely have 'Car Play' [and the Android equivalent] allowing the car's display to be used as a peripheral to software running on a smart phone.
Job 1 2012's (Maybe all 2012's) with SYNC (non-MFT) are still on CM5T-14D544-AC version Gen1 - V3.1.1.C

There is no AppLink, and the voice recognition quality even when I speak as neutrally as possible is total crap. I get no bluetooth metadata, and there hasn't been an update for my car since it left the factory. I just recently made an account with Ford and it says I updated it twice on June 23rd 2011 - the build date.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Poking around Ford's Developer site doesn't give much hope:
https://developer.ford.com/

Their Q&A regarding CarPlay is also disheartening:
https://developer.ford.com/news/

Given the dates and vague content, I see no hint of Sync Gen2 getting better. The Ford statements even go so far as to discourage any possibility of getting CarPlay or Android Auto.

Their reasoning is very flawed in that they argue that CarPlay and Android Auto would be a duplication of the functionality that AppLink offers. They would have to give us AppLink before they can argue someone is duplicating that functionality.

Looks like the developer site hasn't seen any significant updates since 2013. Why would any developer sign on to sink money into someone like that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Job 1 2012's (Maybe all 2012's) with SYNC (non-MFT) are still on CM5T-14D544-AC version Gen1 - V3.1.1.C

There is no AppLink, and the voice recognition quality even when I speak as neutrally as possible is total crap. I get no bluetooth metadata, and there hasn't been an update for my car since it left the factory. I just recently made an account with Ford and it says I updated it twice on June 23rd 2011 - the build date.
I took my 2012 Focus to the dealership on 2014-12-11, and they updated Sync to CM5T-14D544-AE. No bluetooth metadata, but the SMS feature works now. Applink would sure be nice though...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts