Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ya know, for the majority of you without issues -

I haven't gotten my car but I already have a few playlists ready to go and currently I've been listening to Adele's new CD. Couldn't really say I was much of a fan until I realized that her voice is practically unprocessed and she writes all of her stuff. That's the kind of talent not so commonplace in the music industry anymore.

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
My last car (00 Mazda Protege) had a cd player that never worked for the 3 and a half years I owned it. Since I got my FF I've been rediscovering my old cds. Currently I have my Radiohead cd in. It's the complete discography I compiled up to Kid A.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I learned the hard way NEVER keep CDs in the car. (not stolen, scratched all up!!)
Now i only have 'burned' CDs of my collection in the car.
I have to burn a bunch more. I only have maybe a dozen.

I am a big audiophi;e so i listen to music all day long now i am retired.
I have magnepan 3.6 speakers, Bryston 4B-SST2 amp BP-26 preamp
6,000 Lp s 3,000 CDs...
Have to say actually the car stereo is decent enough. Mainly it has clarity. Which i appreciate. (I doubt I would change it at all. Maybe speakers??)
CAR Music:
Kraftwerk
B-52s
Nelly Furtado
Tori Amos
Basement Jaxx
Plenty of music I love i would never listen to in the car though..

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Sirius AltNation until my subscription runs out and I decide if I renew or not. Otherwise all sorts of things, just no country and no mindless rap.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I'm enjoying discovering all the HD radio stations in my area. The clarity of those stations is much better than Sirius and some of them play some serious deep cuts. Have a whole series of presets for only the HD stations.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Everything that was in my CD collection is now on a flash drive in my car. At home all CDs were ripped as FLAC, but since Sync doesn't do FLAC, I used Foobar2000 to convert to MP3.

The standard stereo isn't too horrible, but of course it could be better. I had to get SIRIUS in order to get Sync in the SE, but I don't think I'll ever use it.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I learned the hard way NEVER keep CDs in the car. (not stolen, scratched all up!!)
Now i only have 'burned' CDs of my collection in the car.
I have to burn a bunch more. I only have maybe a dozen.

I am a big audiophi;e so i listen to music all day long now i am retired.
I have magnepan 3.6 speakers, Bryston 4B-SST2 amp BP-26 preamp
6,000 Lp s 3,000 CDs...
Have to say actually the car stereo is decent enough. Mainly it has clarity. Which i appreciate. (I doubt I would change it at all. Maybe speakers??)
CAR Music:
Kraftwerk
B-52s
Nelly Furtado
Tori Amos
Basement Jaxx
Plenty of music I love i would never listen to in the car though..
I don't think I've actually bought a CD in 10 or 15 years. Sure you aren't a 19 year old boy? If you have that many you might want to invest in a modest home server and rip them all to a lossless format. It would probably run you about $300 - $500 and some computer know-how.

Bryston is ok, I think some Paradigm ( http://www.paradigm.com/ ) equipment is in the cards in the hopefully not too distant future for me. I'm actually just up the road from the factory and they make some outstanding stuff.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
in flames here.

and since people are talking about home sound systems. would i notice any difference going from my 7.2 JBL set up with a Yamaha HTR-5890 to something more audiophile? (like a difference worth the $$)

2x JBL E60
JBL EC35
4x JBL E20
2x JBL E250P

this was my first system i still use and love. once i got a job at 14 (i'm 20 now most was bought once i was 15) it was the first thing i bought. spent about $200 at the time

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
in flames here.

and since people are talking about home sound systems. would i notice any difference going from my 7.2 JBL set up with a Yamaha HTR-5890 to something more audiophile? (like a difference worth the $$)

2x JBL E60
JBL EC35
4x JBL E20
2x JBL E250P

this was my first system i still use and love. once i got a job at 14 (i'm 20 now most was bought once i was 15) it was the first thing i bought. spent about $200 at the time
Not unless you have your own place with a large room you can set up for good acoustics I wouldn't bother. Eventually though you could move up a bit at a time. Just remember all the best stuff isn't available in places like Best Buy.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
i understand that ( only thing i got at bestbuy/futureshop was the receiver the rest was a local audio shop) i enjoy music but not worth spending 5k extra on something i wouldn't notice much difference. i do have a decent size room about 25x15 that i have my system in and my TV. (live on my own)

i find the ribbon drives really interesting and im always looking at new things. many once i get a good job i will look into high end stuff but i would really need to listen before i buy which doesn't seem like it will happen.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts