Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last night I pulled into a parking spot kinda quick and went up over the curb.
Scratched up the lower part of the bumper pretty good and also one of the lower air deflector came off because all the push pins came out.

I can't afford to get it repainted so anyone got any ideas of what I could do to it so that it will look better, maybe some plasti dip?
Also I was looking at the zetec style lower lip and it look like it could cover up most of the scratches.

Here some pics

Attachments

·
Registered
366 Posts
The black pieces come out to install the Zetec. And it looks like a few blemishes will still peek through.

·
Registered
49 Posts
i would try and buff/lessen some of the scratches then just put touch up paint on areas where black plastic shows through. My thinking is that the cars are fairly low to ground and i might end up bottoming out again.
I would wait till my bumper really ate it and broke before i thought about taking care of the issue

That and i know how to do light body work and refinish cars so its mostly a choice of whats the worst damage i can live with know what i mean..

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good suggestions
I'm probably going to just take some 800 grit sandpaper and smooth out the deep scratches and take some touch up paint to it for now.
I guess I'm gonna be really carefully pulling into a parking spot for now on lol

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
If it makes you feel any better, I did this sometime this week but NO IDEA how...I have the sensors to warn if too close, but also have not parked against any concrete parking stops...HATE not knowing how or when it happened. I am now considering the Zetec lip as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
329 Posts
Start off with 400 Grit wet dry paper on the deepest scratches, then move up to 600 then finally 800, sand a bit higher than you think you need to above the damaged area so you can blend it more easily later. (need to break the sheen off the clear coat so the new paint doesn't just chip off.) Sand until its smooth then give the sanded area a very light guide coat of spray paint in a contrasting color so its easy to see and let it dry good (at least a day) then sand again until the contrasting paint is all gone to ensure its nice and smooth. Once that's done wipe the area down with a tack free cloth and denatured alcohol to get any oil grease wax etc off the surface, then you can buy duplicolor "Color Match" spray paint in your correct color.. An 8 oz can should be plenty, and also pick up a can of clear coat (same brand as the paint) Start with the color coat, and do 3 light coats waiting about 30 to 45 minutes between coats.. or until the color is nice and uniform. Stop about 2 inches or so from where you stopped sanding so there is about a 2 inch band of scuffed original paint above the fresh paint. let this dry for at least a good week or 2. Lightly color sand it with 800 and 1000 grit sand paper to blend the new paint in with the original until it looks nice and uniform color wise, then clean it good with denatured alcohol again and do about 3 or 4 coats of clear coat... once the clear coat dries good (another 2 weeks or so) wet sand the clear coat with 1500-2000 grit sandpaper to smooth the finish then polish up with polishing compound and a terry cloth towel.. will look good as new. for about 30-50 bucks worth of paint, tape, Old newspapers, and stuff.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If it makes you feel any better, I did this sometime this week but NO IDEA how...I have the sensors to warn if too close, but also have not parked against any concrete parking stops...HATE not knowing how or when it happened. I am now considering the Zetec lip as well.
Wow that sucks
At least I knew when I hit mine :/ maybe someone took your car when you weren't looking

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Start off with 400 Grit wet dry paper on the deepest scratches, then move up to 600 then finally 800, sand a bit higher than you think you need to above the damaged area so you can blend it more easily later. (need to break the sheen off the clear coat so the new paint doesn't just chip off.) Sand until its smooth then give the sanded area a very light guide coat of spray paint in a contrasting color so its easy to see and let it dry good (at least a day) then sand again until the contrasting paint is all gone to ensure its nice and smooth. Once that's done wipe the area down with a tack free cloth and denatured alcohol to get any oil grease wax etc off the surface, then you can buy duplicolor "Color Match" spray paint in your correct color.. An 8 oz can should be plenty, and also pick up a can of clear coat (same brand as the paint) Start with the color coat, and do 3 light coats waiting about 30 to 45 minutes between coats.. or until the color is nice and uniform. Stop about 2 inches or so from where you stopped sanding so there is about a 2 inch band of scuffed original paint above the fresh paint. let this dry for at least a good week or 2. Lightly color sand it with 800 and 1000 grit sand paper to blend the new paint in with the original until it looks nice and uniform color wise, then clean it good with denatured alcohol again and do about 3 or 4 coats of clear coat... once the clear coat dries good (another 2 weeks or so) wet sand the clear coat with 1500-2000 grit sandpaper to smooth the finish then polish up with polishing compound and a terry cloth towel.. will look good as new. for about 30-50 bucks worth of paint, tape, Old newspapers, and stuff.
Awesome instructions man! thanks, I just need the patience to do it, but I'm sure gonna try

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
Wow that sucks
At least I knew when I hit mine :/ maybe someone took your car when you weren't looking
The other side is mint, not a scratch..if I had done it against a highish parking barrier, both sides would have been ripped off....really curious, maybe something hit me and ripped it off, but no damage to paint?

·
Registered
49 Posts
@ FFhb13

it looks like you got luckier with your bumper. seems to just have ripped out that lower plastic textured piece. that part is not too expensive and shouldnt be difficult to reinstall. the only thing that would suck is if the tabs on the main bumper that hold it in place got ripped out too. then it would be a bummer

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
the piece is about $46US, pretty cheap thankfully.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts