Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help me decide..

What should come first? I have a set of cams from Zxtuner for my SVT and I want to install them ASAP. Now on the other hand I have a procharger kit 8lbs with a FMIC.

What should I do first? Cams or S/C… I’m going to go with tom on the install of the cams and the VCT eliminator with new buckets. From just the cams and cam gears 15hp maybe???

Power goal for the total package 265-270hp-215-225tq. [:D]

I can't decide what to do first. I'm looking forward to get a dyno sheet for the cams.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
If you have the procharger in your possesion INSTALL IT. Cams will not get you
anywhere near the power gains that the SC will.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Procharger is sitting right next to me.

I know the boost will be more power but should the cams come first then the boost?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Others on the forum will recommend not using aftermarket cams with any form of
forced induction (turbo, supercharger). You can use the aftermarket cams with the
supercharger, but you have to take it to a tuner that knows what they are doing.

I think it might cause some problems. Most of the forced induction packages offered
work best with the stock cams.

Hopefully Tom from Focus power will chime in on this one. He is very knowlageable
about forced induction.

The cams are more for a Naturally aspirated build up and not for forced induction.
But there are manufactures that have cmas designed for boost.

I just glanced at your first post. If you are taking it to Tom he will be able
to properly install and tune both the supercharger and cams

But install the supercharger first cams second

Off topic, how much did the whole supercharger setup minus the cams run you?

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
SuperFocusMan said:
forced induction (turbo, supercharger). You can use the aftermarket cams with the
supercharger, but you have to take it to a tuner that knows what they are doing.

I think it might cause some problems. Most of the forced induction packages offered

Hopefully Tom from Focus power will chime in on this one. He is very knowlageable
about forced induction.

The cams are more for a Naturally aspirated build up and not for forced induction.

I could'nt say it better myself Tom is very very knowledgeable. Cams would come second there is a difference with N/A cams and FI cams putting those cams in might actully hurt power with FI.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SuperFocusMan said:

about forced induction.

S/C about 3100 before the price when up. I bought a FMIC so I didn't get the intercooler that comes with the kit.

Thanks

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
I would do the SC and forget about the cams.

Aftermarket NA cams have alot of overlap, overlap ( when the intake AND exhaust cams are open at the same time) is what helps make power on NA engines by using the intake cycle to "push" out the unburnt exhaust gases. With FI overlap causes you to blow your boost out the exhaust.... thus loosing your hard earned power.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
^^ that all depends on the type of cams and amount of overlap.

But I do agree. Throw that SC on there NOW!

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
03OrangeSVT said:

Aftermarket NA cams have alot of overlap, overlap ( when the intake AND exhaust cams are open at the same time) is what helps make power on NA engines by using the intake cycle to "push" out the unburnt exhaust gases. With FI overlap causes you to blow your boost out the exhaust.... thus loosing your hard earned power.

thats what I wanted to say, but wasnt sure on how to say it. I knew about the
overlap part but didnt understand what overlap was.

thanks!!!![thumb]

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
install the blower.....save cams for later.

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
blanezx3 said:
^^ that all depends on the type of cams and amount of overlap.
I agree... but according to his sig he has an SVT and that pretty much limits him to ZX3Tunings prototype cams or something from overseas.... since the U.S. SVT Aftermarket cams are pretty much non existant.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I got the cams from Rob at ZXtuner. He told me the cams will work well with F/I.
Here is the information on the cams

.461" lift, 236 @ .050" duration intake cam
.428" lift, 226 @ .050" duration exhaust cam

I'm going to do the S/C first then add the cams later.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
I've know about those for months.....

The question is has anyone INSTALLED those cams yet and is there a dyno of the difference?

If you only pick up 10whp then they wont be worth the time, money and effort to put them in.

·
The Godfather
4,405 Posts
Hey 10hp is 10hp. For a few hundred dollars, what the hell.

Like 03 said, over lap is a pain. Can you run with it, sure, but it saps low end power and just generally isn't wise to do. You want lots of lift with little duration.

One thing some folks do is only put an aftermarket exhaust or intake cam in, leaving the other cam stock.

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
By the time you get everything done including installation your looking at close to $800... give or take.

This isnt a straight forward swap.......

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looking about 650 to install the cams. Tom told me he would have to make new buckets and a tune.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I'd delay the cam install, or not install them at all since you have a SVT.

Get the blower on, add a smaller blower pulley and/or crank overdrive pulley and get it tuned.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
03OrangeSVT said:
I could not possibly agree more, that is EXACTLY what I would do! :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts