Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
So I just bought a cat back exhaust from a wrecked ST, and I was wondering what would sound better. If I left the resonator on and deleted the muffler, or left the muffler on and deleted the resonator?
I've heard the sound of the resonator deleted but not with the muffler deleted on a N/A.

Also I learned from carrying the muffler across the junkyard lot that the muffler is very heavy, probably around 40 pounds.

w/ my magic bag
Install it & drive it for a couple weeks & see what you think....I'd think you'd want a quality piece vs china-bay shitz.....

w/ my magic bag
Would delete resonator.
Easier to do after he installs it & runs it a bit to see what he thinks, vs adding it later after he cuts it off & finds he wants it.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
So I just finished the install and I have to say, what a pain!! Especially since I didn't use a lift and I used exhaust clamps to hold it on lol until I can take it to a muffler shop and get it welded. And whenI cut the muffler of the the st I cut in the wrong spot so I was pain taking it out so I cut it again to put it in easier only to find that I cut where it goes over the control arm, so to use a coupler piece and clamp up there it was a pain and I could barley tighten the bolts.....so that connection is lose. Need to take it to muffler shop asap

Anyone want a sound clip?

Something goes here
I personally think it sounds good with the res and muffler. If you want more volume you could remove the res. What are your future plans for the car, are you getting a header? If yes you may want to keep the res on the ST cat back.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
I think it sounds awesome and it's only raspy a little but nothing ricey.

I dont plan on doing a header or cat delete, only thing I plan next is a tune and then maybe suspension stuff or body kit

Registered
muffler delete with only a stock res. sounds good loud yes but still sounds great just dont add a cat less header. you will hate your life lol

im now seating on a custom exhaust half stock st(stock res included) and half genesis coupe exhaust(stock res included) as well as a small magnaflow muffler(12in)

the catless header makes a huge difference if you have a 2.5in without a muffler.

also the st exhaust which does add performance, is not 2.5in all the way through, its starts 2.5 after res 1 its 2.25 so 80% of the exhaust in 2.25

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
Well here's an update of how I like the exhaust so far.
After driving for awhile I realize the exhaust just sounds to raspy especially when it shifts, the noise is very weird and I find it annoying. There is no drone at all though which is a good thing. I feel like I should of left the resonator on a deleted the muffler.
Anyone know of a good high performance resonator I could swap in and delete the muffler

1 - 12 of 12 Posts