Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about buying winter tires (and maybe wheels?). I don't know anything about winter tires -- or any tires, for that matter!

I live in Michigan so drive in snow and ice, wet roads - the whole thing. In your opinion what brands make the best winter tires? What models within that brand?

Any advice is much appreciated! [:)]

·
Registered
257 Posts
Thinking about buying winter tires (and maybe wheels?). I don't know anything about winter tires -- or any tires, for that matter!

I live in Michigan so drive in snow and ice, wet roads - the whole thing. In your opinion what brands make the best winter tires? What models within that brand?

Any advice is much appreciated! [:)]
How much do you want to spend, and are you going to buy a pair of wheels to mound them to?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I also would like to have some suggestion on Winter tires.

I have the titanium trim 17" wheels and would like to know do I need the same spec winter tires as well, that means p215/50/17. I am thinking about getting the michelin x-ice xi2 but donno if they are good or not.

Also for the rim, will any 17" rim fit in any 17" tires?

·
Registered
257 Posts
I also would like to have some suggestion on Winter tires.

I have the titanium trim 17" wheels and would like to know do I need the same spec winter tires as well, that means p215/50/17. I am thinking about getting the michelin x-ice xi2 but donno if they are good or not.

Also for the rim, will any 17" rim fit in any 17" tires?
You need to keep the wheel diameter the same. You can step down to a 16" and use a larger tire to offset the difference. The X-ice 2's are great tires and so are the Blizzaks, but they're pricey. Any tire shop will be able to set you up with a package. If your going to order online most sites have a calculator to help you select the correct combo

·
Registered
257 Posts
I'd like to keep it under $600. I'd like tires that keep down the road noise. Not sure about the wheels.
I would recommend getting a set of steelies. They're less of a pain to and cheaper swap (you could do it in your driveway), it's less wear and tear on your factory rims, and you don't have to worry about curbing a rim.

·
Focus Fanatic
7,252 Posts
I only have experience with Bridgestone Blizzaks, and they are amazing in the snow.
My svt is like a tank with blizzaks and traction control. They are awesome!

·
Registered
647 Posts
Tirerack has some excellent reviews, and Car and Driver did a winter tire show down in 2009 (can be found on Google).

I've had Michelin Pilot Sport Alpin PA3s and I thought they did very well in wintery conditions and were much, much better in dry and wet conditions than many dedicated summer tires. In other words, they're dedicated winter tires that are actually good enough to be used all year round. I had them on my CTS-V (19 inch) and was super impressed with their handling abilities. But there are better winter traction tires out there if bare road handling isn't an issue for you. I myself found them to be very competent, but then again it doesn't snow much here in Portland. But the few times it did I felt they were very safe and predictable.

For example, the X-ice was rated incredibly well (one of the best, if not THE best) for extreme wintery conditions but got only so-so dry performance reviews.

And I've heard nothing but good things about Bridgestone Blizzaks and Pirelli Sottozeros as well.

I guess it all depends on what you're looking for and where you live.

At any rate, Tirerack and Car and Driver as mentioned above is a good place to start.

Personally, I'd stay away from most all season tires since they really don't excel in any particular season, and are designed to be merely "okay" for all seasons.

Tony

·
Captain Retard
2,583 Posts
Bridgestone Blizzaks are the best!!!!

·
Registered
292 Posts
I have used Michelin Alpin PA2's and Dunlop M3 Sport tires and they have been fantastic in the snow and they also corner very well in the wet/dry. These are in the 'performance' category. The driveability is far better than the Dunlop Graspic DS-3's I am using on my old Focus. Those are excellent in the snow, but are a little squishy on turn-in.

If you can, I would go with performance tires and lighter alloy wheels. Tire Rack is one excellent source, IMHO.They have a pretty good configurator.

·
Premium Member
6,442 Posts
Moved to "Wheels, Tires, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored By Tire Rack"

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Most in the know will agree that Nokian (aka Hakkas) are the best snow tires hands down. This is a Scandinavian designed and built tire. They offer amazing grip in a broad range of conditions and get amazing tread wear for a snow tire. The downside is that you pay dearly for this tire and they can be difficult to find. Blizzaks are a very good tire as well, but you also pay the price for the honor of using them. Avoid driving Blizzaks primarily on dry roads, especially warm dry roads, as they literally melt before your eyes. To be fair, this trait can happen to many of the current bunch of soft and grippy snow tires. Michelin X-ice has proven to be a very competent tire as has the newer Continental Extreme snow tire for a little less cost than most Blizzaks. For the budget minded, I and many other FF members have had good luck with General Altimax Arctics. They're also designed by those often buried Scandinavians who really know their snow tires. They initially came from Europe but they're now being built over here. One of the benefits is that they have a little firmer tread compound for better wear but don't give up a whole lot in the "grippy" department for this compromise. They are one of the few tires that can be studded when new if necessary.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
I ran snow tires last winter for the first time and man do they ever pick up the small rocks. The extra cuts in the tires for that extra traction collect small pebbles when in turns or light gravel and then spit them out on the highway and it sounds like its beating up the underside of my car.

I didnt get out alot last winter we had some pretty heavy dumps of alot of snow but i ran them about 3-4 months and i almost wish i had all seasons insted.

All seasons have a larger block pattern and they dont have the extra little cuts to trap in small debris.

May want to think about this if you do spend the money on a dedicated set of winter tires.

·
Registered
241 Posts
You need to keep the wheel diameter the same. You can step down to a 16" and use a larger tire to offset the difference. The X-ice 2's are great tires and so are the Blizzaks, but they're pricey. Any tire shop will be able to set you up with a package. If your going to order online most sites have a calculator to help you select the correct combo
As a point of correction, you need to keep the TIRE diameter the same, not the wheel. You were correct in your thinking but the wording was off. [:)]

In answer to the OP's question, I bought Bridgestone Blizzak WS70 tires (205/60R16) for my 2012, which are mounted on 2007 Taurus wheels that are 16x6" using a 5x108mm lug-pattern, with a 42mm offset.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Most in the know will agree that Nokian (aka Hakkas) are the best snow tires hands down. This is a Scandinavian designed and built tire. They offer amazing grip in a broad range of conditions and get amazing tread wear for a snow tire. The downside is that you pay dearly for this tire and they can be difficult to find. Blizzaks are a very good tire as well, but you also pay the price for the honor of using them. Avoid driving Blizzaks primarily on dry roads, especially warm dry roads, as they literally melt before your eyes. To be fair, this trait can happen to many of the current bunch of soft and grippy snow tires. Michelin X-ice has proven to be a very competent tire as has the newer Continental Extreme snow tire for a little less cost than most Blizzaks. For the budget minded, I and many other FF members have had good luck with General Altimax Arctics. They're also designed by those often buried Scandinavians who really know their snow tires. They initially came from Europe but they're now being built over here. One of the benefits is that they have a little firmer tread compound for better wear but don't give up a whole lot in the "grippy" department for this compromise. They are one of the few tires that can be studded when new if necessary.
Thank you Geezer! This is very helpful.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'll second the "First Choice" Nokian "Hakkas"

I will be putting some Firestone 'Winterforce' on my daughter's Civic..

I'll be putting the 'Hakkas' on my new focus

·
Registered
489 Posts
I had Blizzak WS-50's on my SVT and I used it to plow my driveway a few times, lol.

My only issue was the snow would build up high enough to come over the hood and windshield and I had to stop and clean it off, lol.

·
Captain Retard
2,583 Posts
I ran snow tires last winter for the first time and man do they ever pick up the small rocks. The extra cuts in the tires for that extra traction collect small pebbles when in turns or light gravel and then spit them out on the highway and it sounds like its beating up the underside of my car.
All seasons have a larger block pattern and they dont have the extra little cuts to trap in small debris.

May want to think about this if you do spend the money on a dedicated set of winter tires.
It's the "little sipes" that make a snow tire work so well.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts