Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
May be a dumb question but hey, I'm new at this.[8] I was wondering what higher fuel pressure would do for me. Kill my MPG? I'm not racing this ride or anything, just looking to get as much performance as possible...

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So far all I have is a FS Cool Flo intake. In the next couple of weeks I am getting a tune. Planned for the next 6 mo: Exhaust (FS Stealth most likely), 65mm throttle body, possibly an underdirve pulley kit if I can find one...

·
Registered
930 Posts
The only reason you would need them:

turbo
dry nitrous setup above 50hp
crazy ass NA setup

Otherwise, your money is better spent on other items. There are two companies that I know of for sure are making underdrive pullies. CFM is one, and the other will anounce their when they are ready, which should be VERY soon. You need to research the pullies A LOT, because a bad install = a destroyed engine. The new pullies will have much better instructions, etc., but if you mess up, say good bye to your duratec.

Intake, exhaust, cams, tune, header, throttlebody (in just about that order, pulley whenever, just heed my warnings) would be optimal. If you end up going turbo, no need for the header, and if you are planning to make big power later (say, above 200hp at the crank) go ahead and get a 2.5in exhaust. It will save you buying it twice.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I know about the danger involved in incorrect installation of the UDP. I have a buddy who builds drag cars who is helping me put some balls on this rine. Thanks for the info though...

BTW, visited your gallery, that paint is AWSOME![thumb]

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
You MUST tune very specifically for the new injectors.
You need to be making a pretty large amount of power to justify new injectors, right around 190-210whp is where the stock injectors start to reach their limits.

As radical as my car is I'm still using stock injectors.

·
Registered
49 Posts
aero_student said:
You MUST tune very specifically for the new injectors.
You need to be making a pretty large amount of power to justify new injectors, right around 190-210whp is where the stock injectors start to reach their limits.

As radical as my car is I'm still using stock injectors.
By chance have you logged the max injector duty cycle for your setup? Do you know the max for stock duratec 2.0?? Just trying to learn as much as I can. Thanks. [:)]

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I haven't; I've had MarcyMotorsport handle all of the tuning since he's the one that built that car/motor.

·
Registered
440 Posts
UDP are a waste on these cars from what im told!! i wouldnt waste the money on them.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Actually you have been told incorrect information. They can easily be installed wrong, but a little bird told me they put down ~5-6whp on a 2.3L with their soon to be out UDP. It should be nearly identical gains for the 2.0L. $/hp, that is the second cheapest power gain bolt on there is (nitrous not included). When I get the cams in, I'm going to order it for my car. I'll just install them at the same time.

Thanks on the paint. It is gross right now since most of the show season is over. i've comtemplated cleaning it, but it will just rain if I do..lol.

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
With the "learning ability" of the ECU it should have already adjusted for your mods... at least to an extent.

Larger injectors are pretty much a waste unless you've done MAJOR work to the motor....

If it was me I would put the injector money towards a good tune from Tom.

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
netdrgoon said:
Actually you have been told incorrect information. They can easily be installed wrong, but a little bird told me they put down ~5-6whp on a 2.3L with their soon to be out UDP. It should be nearly identical gains for the 2.0L. $/hp, that is the second cheapest power gain bolt on there is (nitrous not included). When I get the cams in, I'm going to order it for my car. I'll just install them at the same time.

Thanks on the paint. It is gross right now since most of the show season is over. i've comtemplated cleaning it, but it will just rain if I do..lol.
Actually Tom has dyno sheets showing less than 2whp gain from UDP's.

·
Registered
930 Posts
The people I have been talking to say they have gained more, and they are a very visible company, no need to make up gains for me I wouldn't think. Maybe they are using a different pulley setup and got lucky on the gains, I do not know. We will see when I get my junk dynoed I guess...hopefully that will be sooner than later!

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
Just remember most dyno's will vary up to 5whp... sorta like a fudge factor.

The average dyno will NOT see a gain of less than 5whp. A while back Tom took all accescories off of a Mustang GT (except for the water pump).... now remember the ONLY thing being turned is the waterpump.... the dyno showed less than 5whp.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts