Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
howdy guys and gals[:eek:)]
need some advice. i want to buy some wheels for my car but i'm not sure what size would be best for my car. nothing too big but nothing too small. i'm looking at some nice looking 18 x 7.5 but is that too big. i don't want any problems. HELP[???:)]

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
well if your going to go stock hieght.. 18's would make you look like your off roadin..

i say some nice 17's would look very decent!

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Also remember that the larger diameter wheel you use the more rotating mass there will be. More power will be needed to rotate that mass. This can impact a low horsepower car significantly. Grassroots motorsports or Sport Compact Car (can't remember which one) did a comparison test on this not too long ago. They used a variety of different wheel diameters (If I recall they used the same SSR rim design in all tests) in timed speed runs with one car. The results were the larger the wheel the slower the times. Definitely worth reading.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I say go with 17's for performance and 18's for looks. Depends on what you want out of your car.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Okay, if you go with 18's, you must use a 18x7 on a 215/35 tire, you may end up rubbing and the ride will be very harsh. Also, it depends on where you live, around where i live the roads aren't that great and i would definetly end up ruining a rim in a minor pothole and bending the hell out of it. If you run 17's, 215/40. The stock weights are like 16-18lbs i think. the svt's are about 22lbs each. Any good aftermarket 17 will be 14-20lbs depending if it's forged and the design and manufacturer. The less weight the better. My next set of rims (my 3rd) will be 17x7 FORGED wheels, light and strong. Those tire sizes i mentioned were the ones that will keep your speedo on par with the stock tire height/diameter. You can go smaller or larger but you will throwi things out of wack. check out my sig, my gallery link is there with my 17x7 steeda's and a 1.8in drop. Another picture is there without my drop and my 17x7 ADR phase 2 multispoke rims.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I say 17x7 2 inch drop 52mm off-set XHP scortch also
avail in 18. 215/45zr17 my advise 17 no speedo differ
same over all height load rating specified for the vehicle
tyre brand BFGOODRICH G-FORCE Directional type tyre or MICHELIN PILOT
PROCEDA A-SEMETRICAL Type tyre
Ring me in buss hours on (02)96864606 Baulkham Hills Tyre King
ask for James or Dave [driving] [driving] [driving]

·
Registered
24 Posts
I ran a 18x8 on my 00 Cougar, and it has the same offset and lug pattern as a focus. If you compare a 215/45-17 to a 225/40-18 you will only have a difference in radius of 2 tenths of an inch which will work with any focus the only problem is that the speedo will be off by 1.9% which at 60 mph is 61.1 mph. I think that is a reasonable trade off. You also have to remember that there is more than one type of performance. Going with this size rim will effect your quarter mile time, but will dramatically effect handling. I can personally attest to this since I had three different size tires and wheels on my Cougar at different points. The stock was a 215/50-16 on factory rims, then I had 225/40-18 on Team dynamic DTMs, followed by 215/45-17 on Axis se7ens. The 18s were by far the best on a performance handling aspect. the ride could be a little harsh at times, but for me it was acceptable. If handling is your game the 18s with sticky tires are excellent. Check here to compare.

Matt

1 - 12 of 12 Posts