Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What type of primer should I use if I want a good match? Will use spray can touch up paint. Color will be a dark metalic gray on an 06.

·
Focus Enthusiast
3,002 Posts
How large of an area are you planning on painting?
In some cases with some paints, I have seen where two cars painted with the same paint, but different primers, ie: white primer on one, black the other, the paint color has looked a bit different between the two, but it was only a slight difference, and if you are only painting a small area, you should be fine.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gonna try to paint a fender....just temporarily till I get it professionaly painted. I've seen light grey and darker primer..... sandable non sandable...etching primer...etc....

·
Focus Enthusiast
3,002 Posts
If you are painting an entire fender.....the primer won't make or break you on color matching. I'll admit I'm not familiar with the site mentioned above nor have I used it's products, but past experience has shown that paint in a touchup bottle or rattle can "off the shelf" just won't match.
Some members here have had success ordering a custom made color matched paint in a spray can that they purchased for less than $20 a can from an autobody supply shop. It's a bit pricey sure, but should match better than off the shelf stuff.

·
Registered
68 Posts
most auto places can get you a spray can of factory matched paint and clear coat.

The primer shouldnt matter, its all in the prep work.

Make sure you sand it properly ( swapping to a higher grit paper) and make sure you mask everything off you can because you will get overspray.

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
i use paintscratch.com

i used green self etching primer, and painted my valve cover liquid grey to match the body of my car, and it matches perfectly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts