Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe the only thing done so far has been oil changes, and obviously the occasional wheel rotation and stuff like that, the place I take it to get the oil change said I need to get a transmission flush and coolant flush but the tranny flush itself is like $190! [slap]

·
Registered
234 Posts
It's not a bad idea to do either of those, but not completely necessary. The coolant flush you could do yourself very easily for $20, so thats an easy place to save some money. I don't know about the transmission flush. With a manual you can just drain and fill it and its a piece of cake.

·
Registered
389 Posts
There are generaly two kinds of services for ATX's - a fluid change (which is where they just get the fluid that drains out when they crack the seal, as well as change the filter), or a transmission flush (which is where they go after ALL of the fluid, as well as the filter).

The full flush will cost more because it's a little more effort, takes special equipment (don't let that scare you - they have it), and you'll replace more fluid. At 45K this probably isn't necessary unless you're at that 45K in a short time. Also, if the fluid is really nasty colored when they retrieve it, you may want to go for the full flush.

You can handle a coolant change yourself, but this ISN'T a flush. When they say flush, they mean a reverse flush which gets more garbage out of the system. Again, you're probably not in need of this level of work.

Cite:
ATX Flush: http://www.aa1car.com/library/2004/bf100456.htm
Reverse coolant flush: http://www.tpub.com/content/construction/14264/css/14264_225.htm

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
I'm pretty sure there are how-to's on both of those!!

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
your coolant is worth 100,000 miles, don't worry about that

·
Registered
65 Posts
Flushing your transmission is a good idea in theory. Every drop gets replaced they say, and they use about twenty quarts of fluid. Ouch! Thats a lot of money! All the garbage that your tranny makes, like clutch, band and steel material, collects in two places: the trans pan (mostly around the magnets) and the filter. Flushes do not address this. Actually the flush will push this garbage into other parts of the tranny like the solenoid body. A trans "service" is where they drop the pan, clean the pan and magnet, replace the filter (only sometimes, you better ask for it) and change about 3.5 quarts, or half the fluid. Ford does not recommend flushes by the way, they recommend services. I say do it. Do the coolant next year. Also, if you haven't replaced the fuel filter, I'd do that now too. Use a motorcraft one. This will probably be about $50 at a Ford service center.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts