Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just trying to see what other focus drivers prefer to use as replacements. my front left started making strange noises over the weekend, mild thumping sounds especially when i am driving and i take my foot off the gas around 30mph.. at first i thought it was a half shaft that was going until i had the car on jacks and got under to see where the thumping was coming from.

·
Registered
25,627 Posts
I"ve replaced several bearings in these hubs. ithout a press it can be a bear. I would just get a loaded hub at your nearest auto parts store

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
As far as the part manufacturer goes, Moog is National now, and all are going to be good. I haven't seen any problems associated with wheel bearings other than age or normal wear. I'm thankful mine aren't that bad at 130k.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Just did my right one. 125k miles and the axle was quite hard to remove: it was rusted solid on the hub. Also, I broke my ABS sensor trying to remove it. I got my hub/bearing for 35 and the sensor for 27 and had it pressed for 30. Im still way under the 300$ i was quoted at my local shop.

If your ball joint has not been undone in a while, don't bother, get an appointement and have them deal with it...thats another pita!

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
If your ball joint has not been undone in a while, don't bother, get an appointement and have them deal with it...thats another pita!
IDK, I've found the whole control arm at RockAuto for $80ish, and that comes with the ball joint. If I had stock suspension bushings, that's what I'd do when I needed a ball joint repair. It might be equal to what a shop would charge, or a little more- however, you get a whole new control arm, bushings, and that's worth it. Especially for someone like yourself who lives in a high salt area. Really any car with over 100k won't suffer from replacing a control arm.

·
Registered
505 Posts
IDK, I've found the whole control arm at RockAuto for $80ish, and that comes with the ball joint. If I had stock suspension bushings, that's what I'd do when I needed a ball joint repair. It might be equal to what a shop would charge, or a little more- however, you get a whole new control arm, bushings, and that's worth it. Especially for someone like yourself who lives in a high salt area. Really any car with over 100k won't suffer from replacing a control arm.
Thats where I've been. I replaced the control arms and it turned to be quite hard to remove the pinch bolts. What I meant is that if he wants his wheel bearing replaced, he might as well have a shop do it for him if his ball joint has never been touched as lots of bolts that you need to remove are going to be tough as hell to remove with only hand tools!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts