Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after i finish my exhaust i am def. getting a pair of cams. i dont know much about the differences in the brands but, i do know that i want to keep the stock valve springs. i was thinking of some stg. 2's. ive heard that some stg 2s are more radical than others. [dunno] what do you guys reccomend?

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
crower is prolly the most aggressive, you really shouldn't use them w/ stock springs. but FR, crane and comp cam stage 2's are all pretty good

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i know that the exhaust and intake lift on the FRPP cams are equal. would my zetec benefit more from the intake having more lift than the exhaust cam? or vise versa? what exaclty does this accomplish? any advice that you have would help me alot!
thanks a lot everybody

·
The Godfather
4,405 Posts
Money no object; Kents. Money object; Stage 3 Cranes or Crowers. MLB and I don't see eye to eye on the valve spring issue as I put thousands upon thousands of miles on my Kent setup, the valve springs are strong enough.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
Leo Capaldi is where I got my info. I talked to him about a year ago about this exact issue. The crowers can go on a stock vavletrain, but he said they would wear out super quick!! anything over a .410 lift gives problems for the stock valve train

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i am still qurious about how the frpp and comp cams lifts are equal but the crane and crower cams both have more lift on the intake side. are there any pros and cons with the equal lift cams and the same question when the intake lift is more?

INTAKE AND EXHAUST ARE EQUAL:
frpp stage 3's--------intake/.390-exhaust/.390
comp stage 2's-------intake/.381-exhaust/.381
--------------------------
INTAKE LIFT HIGHER THAN EXHAUST:
crane stage 2's------intake/.382-exhaust/.374
crower stage 2's-----intake/.413-exhaust/.393

is there any chance the combustion chamber would get diluted with exhaust? (talking about the cranes and crowers) im sure they know what their doing but just wondering what difference this makes in performance.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
what are the duration specs??

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
INTAKE AND EXHAUST ARE EQUAL:
frpp stage 3's--------intake/.390-exhaust/[email protected]/.218-exhaust/.218
comp stage 2's-------intake/.381-exhaust/[email protected]/.228-exhaust/.228
--------------------------
INTAKE LIFT HIGHER THAN EXHAUST:
crane stage 2's------intake/.382-exhaust/[email protected]/.214-exhaust/.210
crower stage 2's-----intake/.413-exhaust/[email protected]/.226-exhaust/.222

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
I am not sure, but during the combustion process, you put in more volume per volume than goes out. I always thought the intake had to be more else you wouldn't be fully utilizing the full potential of the cams. but thats a vague memory., don't quote me.

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
Free bump, id also like to know the answer to your question.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Crane cams make all FR cams

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
You'll be happy with almost any cam you get heck even if you don't get any cams and just get some adjustable camgears you'll be happy. I know I am. It'll really wake up that ole' zetec cams just wake it up even more. Also don't just buy cams get some adjustable cam gears to go with it.

Goat are you a Kent salesman representative lol

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i need a dyno for the cam gears and dont know if i have one around? how much is dyno time usually? just a ballpark, not looking to quote you or anything.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
usually around 80-100/hr

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
count on 100/hr|
also consider where you are going with your project. Are you going to be happy with 130-140 whp? because if you are going to want more power then save that money you would have spent on putting in cams and put it toward FI. i love my Mcnews stg2's (much like a FR stg 2) but the thing is no rocket.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Money no object; Kents. Money object; Stage 3 Cranes or Crowers. MLB and I don't see eye to eye on the valve spring issue as I put thousands upon thousands of miles on my Kent setup, the valve springs are strong enough.
so, will my ride be streetable with the stage 3's? i still want some low end torque (stg. 3's dont kill that part of the pwr. band do they?). ive heard you should prob do headwork and raise CR with them too. i dont nessisarily have the mony to do that right now.

count on 100/hr|
also consider where you are going with your project. Are you going to be happy with 130-140 whp? because if you are going to want more power then save that money you would have spent on putting in cams and put it toward FI. i love my Mcnews stg2's (much like a FR stg 2) but the thing is no rocket.
i doubt that i am going to be happy with those numbers but, there's not really much i can do about it right now. i know for a fact that i wont have the money to go FI for a while. i saw a thread on focaljet about a 170hp n/a focus(not svt) i would be very happy with that!

check it out!:

BAD @$$ N/A BUILD!!!

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
they are pretty good for DD, when I am at idle, around 1200 rpm, I get a really lopy sound. and i get great power up top!! I make solid power to 7500 rpm. its pretty nice!! but you have to run a higher idle else you stall.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Hey MLB I thought those stage 2 crowers need new springs because the lift is .41 and the stock springs can only handle like .39 inches. I remember researching that from when I had those crowers.

I know with Crane Stage 2 you dont need new springs, but with crower I was pretty sure you did...

1 - 20 of 43 Posts