Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother is helping me change out my header from the stock mani-cat.

I was wondering what tools made the job easier? Specially the bolts on the flex pipe?

We got the heat shields off and all the sensors out but we are kinda stuck at the bolts on the flext pipe.

Are they tack welded in place any where that needs cutting? The cross member under the fram doesnt need removed does it?

·
Registered
716 Posts
I think the bolts are pressed in. You can only turn the nut side.

·
Boosted HB.
1,698 Posts
Wrenches... Thats all I used to unbolt things. Then a torque wrench to bolt on.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wrenches... Thats all I used to unbolt things. Then a torque wrench to bolt on.
Did you take the flex pipe off first then unbolt the manifold from the head?

How did you remove the stock manifold? from the bottom or the top?

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
took my stock manifold out the top, didnt remove the flex

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
Top is the only way it come's out. You need to remove or set a side the the thingy on the fire wall, to get the manifold out, from the top. Don't forget to unplug the o2 senser's too. I believe 3 of them. You have a tune to turn off the rear o2 senser's?

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok cool, we wernt sure if it would fit between the firewall and the block or not.

Did you guys remove the hood to lift it up out of the top?

Just trying to plan everything out so that its easier. we took off all the shielding today and PB blasted all the bolts. The heat shield bolts came out pretty easy shockingly

Got all the sensors out cleanly

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Another thing i forgot, which flex pipe do we use? Mine came with 2 and i figured we could just try them both and see which fit the best but if we have to drop it in all in one piece ill have to bolt it together before we drop it down in there.

Is there a way to tell which is for ATX and which is for MTX?

·
Registered
716 Posts
I have a manual tranny and the flex pipe that I DIDN'T use is 13" long. I can't remember if that's the long or short one though.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a manual tranny and the flex pipe that I DIDN'T use is 13" long. I can't remember if that's the long or short one though.
Well depending on which side i measure mine i get 13" on one side 11-1/2" on the other side.

The other flex pipe i get 13-1/2" on one side and 12" on the other.

I didnt figure ide have to put the flex pipe on before it was installed.

The header didnt really come with any instructions. None that i have seen anyway.

·
Registered
716 Posts
It was 13" on the long side. It only took me a couple hours to take my old one off and put the new one on and I was taking my time.

·
Boosted HB.
1,698 Posts
Here is a quick detail.

To remove factory manifold - Remove Mounting bracket from factory manifold to block. Unbolt flex pipe. Remove O2 sensors. Unbolt manifold. Remove manifold (remove toward top of engine. )

Install header - Bolt on header to Head. Install the shortest(MTX) //Longest(ATX) flex pipe onto head. Install flexpipe to exhaust. Install first (primary) O2 sensor

Get a tune to remove CEL

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here is a quick detail.

To remove factory manifold - Remove Mounting bracket from factory manifold to block. Unbolt flex pipe. Remove O2 sensors. Unbolt manifold. Remove manifold (remove toward top of engine. )

Install header - Bolt on header to Head. Install the shortest(MTX) //Longest(ATX) flex pipe onto head. Install flexpipe to exhaust. Install first (primary) O2 sensor

Get a tune to remove CEL
We cant get to the flex pipe bolts, we can hardly get to the bolts that hook the flex pipe to the catback part.

Maybe its easier with a MTX which most seem to have when doing these mods. So the longest flex pipe is the one i need for my ATX setup.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Start spraying PB blaster on the flex pipe bolts a few days before you play the install...I did it twice a day for three days back when I did my header and it worked wonders.

P.S. it's going to be extremely loud. O and also take off the solenoid thingy that is mounted to the fire wall just above the header. Gives you some more room and you won't break it like I did. Other then that its pretty straight forward.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Start spraying PB blaster on the flex pipe bolts a few days before you play the install...I did it twice a day for three days back when I did my header and it worked wonders.

P.S. it's going to be extremely loud. O and also take off the solenoid thingy that is mounted to the fire wall just above the header. Gives you some more room and you won't break it like I did. Other then that its pretty straight forward.
I still have the stock muffler and second cat on it, i did however remove the rear lunchbox thing.

I figure its going to be loud till i can finish the exhaust next paycheck.

I need to get this on so i can take advantage of the $420. tune without the header i cant get the wideband in so i can take full advantage of the tune.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Depending on the header tubes... you might need swivel sockets to tighten and torque them down. Also just make sure you know the torque sequence. It will save you from headaches that could come your way.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Depending on the header tubes... you might need swivel sockets to tighten and torque them down. Also just make sure you know the torque sequence. It will save you from headaches that could come your way.
Is this it?

·
Registered
983 Posts
yup ^^^ thats it. I followed that set of instructions and I was fine. Easy as pie and took a little over an hour for me to do it by myself. I was working on jackstands as well.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Well worth it on a 2.0L? Noticeable where? Low-end? Mid-Range? What size/type resonator did everyone use?
Thanks.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Well worth it on a 2.0L? Noticeable where? Low-end? Mid-Range? What size/type resonator did everyone use?
Thanks.
If you have all ready done other mods (intake, exhaust, tb, etc.), than the header is worth it via the old butt dyno. For my 2l I noticed the increase in torque more than the actual increase in hp. I would say the powerband of the obx header increased more through the mid-range. My header is complimented with the fswerks stealth exhaust set-up. The resonator makes it quite at idle and very tolerable at wot. Also, the sound of the fswerks exhaust set-up just sounds plain awesome in comparison to the jet plane honda's that fly down my road. Yes that is a stab at all honda's [nutkick]

1 - 20 of 30 Posts