Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I'm the proud new owner of a 2005 ZX5, completely loaded with the exception of the sound system, which is the bare minimum (not even mp3 cd, just plain ol' cd). I love the car, but I'm disappointed with the audio. The sound is tinny, almost no mid-range at all (even after messing around with base and treble adjustments), and radio reception is absolute crap - some stations are static-y within the confounds of the city, let alone outside. To put it in perspective, our stock '97 Taurus Wagon had a better sound system, and that thing had a radio with no cd or tape, just am/fm!

So my question you folks is, from your experience, with a limited budget - say $250 or so - where do I start upgrading to get the biggest difference? Should I stick a new head unit in there? Change out the speakers and antenna? Something altogether different?

Thanks in advance!

·
Flat Black King
8,203 Posts
I would stick a new HU in there maybe something under 100 if u know how to install it urself. Then maybe throw in some speakers with what money u have left. If u wanna go all out then buy some subs and an amp

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
New headunit is definatley the first thing I would upgrade. That way everything from then on out will be easier and give you a bigger impact on your sound. With a deck buy the best one you can that will do every thing you want it to do. You will thank yourself in the future.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
^yup...what these guys said. When you are replacing the headunit, connect the RCA's and remote wire. Even if you aren't putting in subs until later, connect these so you won't have to dig around in there again. After the head until then go and replace the mids throughout your car ( depending on how far you want to go you can add an amp to these as well) then add subs...You can usually find deals for the head unit + surround for around 200-250 or so.

As for reception...I don't know if there are any boosters available for the fofos or not.

btw... welcome to FF!!

·
Flat Black King
8,203 Posts
i need a booster if there is one. i got a shorty antenna and it ruined my reception

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Do you run an aftermarket headunit in your car? Metra makes an amplified antenna adapter for the foci.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all for the answers! I'll go take a look at head units this weekend.

As for the antenna question, seems a few people are interested in the same thing, so it probably warrants further discussion. I think I might take a look as I'm installing whatever headunit I go with to make sure its not something stupid like a loose cable before spending more money on a booster.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts