Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yeah, don't buy one with a SOHC 2.0 SPI engine unless the seller can *prove* beyond any easonable doubt that the valve seat issue has been addressed.

·
Cars&Corgis
4,448 Posts
Yeah. just use the serch button on the front page and type in "SPI" and see what comes up. The valve seats are notorious for dropping. If its a ztech or duratec, you're golden!

·
ɔᴉʇɐuɐℲ snɔo&
7,806 Posts
Yeah. just use the serch button on the front page and type in "SPI" and see what comes up. The valve seats are notorious for dropping. If its a ztech or duratec, you're golden! (granted, you won't see a duratec in the 1st gen)
Yeah, ummm duratecs were in first gen's mostly in cali, though

·
saved from the grave
6,106 Posts
Yeah. just use the serch button on the front page and type in "SPI" and see what comes up. The valve seats are notorious for dropping. If its a ztech or duratec, you're golden! (granted, you won't see a duratec in the 1st gen)
HUH??? Maybe you should be doing the research!! Plenty of 03 and 04 First gens with the 2.3 Duratec, mine included. Actually 52% of 2004 ZX5's have the 2.3

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
f250lightnin, does the duratec 2.3 have a timing chain instead of a rubber belt like in the zetec?

·
saved from the grave
6,106 Posts
Yes it is chain driven, no belt to worry about.

SAP= Street Appearance Package. It has a sportier look with different bumper covers, side skirts and a wing/spoiler. Google images for it.

·
Cars&Corgis
4,448 Posts
Should have specified, I dont think the 2.0 duratec was in the early 1st gen's, like 2000-2003. I kinda group them into a different category. I always think of them as 1st gens, 04-07's second gens, and 08+ 3rd gens. Wrong, I know, but when the duratec became standard, for me, it seems like it should be different. I'm kind of weird that way.

·
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE
8,424 Posts
Should have specified, I dont think the 2.0 duratec was in the early 1st gen's, like 2000-2003. I kinda group them into a different category. I always think of them as 1st gens, 04-07's second gens, and 08+ 3rd gens. Wrong, I know, but when the duratec became standard, for me, it seems like it should be different. I'm kind of weird that way.
The 2.0 duratech was not in the first gens. It was 2.3 duratech.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts