Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I'm sure this has been gone over elsewhere, but I don't have time to search through all the threads. I was wondering if anyone could help me know if there are some standard things to watch out for before accepting my Focus that just showed up at the dealer from that factory? Paint issues? Transmission shudder? Head liner peeling? Stuff like that.

Much thanks for any help you can give me.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Take your time looking the car over and take your time test driving it.

I have the shudder issue on my trans and some others have steering issues and some others issues with the MFT. I know mine does a strange thing on the instruments, Just while sitting in the car with the key out of the switch the gauges will jump momentarily and then settle back down and not do it again for awhile. I have not asked the dealer about that but will when the car returns again for the trans issue. Also getting a clunking from the car now when going over bumps in the road. Will have to check on that as well.

IMO your best bet is not accept the vehicle and shop somewhere else. Ford does not really seem to care that we are having issues, Natasha here on the Forum is trying her best but let's face it she is only one person is a whole network of non caring people.

Montana

·
Registered
201 Posts
I know mine does a strange thing on the instruments, Just while sitting in the car with the key out of the switch the gauges will jump momentarily and then settle back down and not do it again for awhile. I have not asked the dealer about that but will when the car returns again for the trans issue.

Montana
My car does this also, and so has every Focus I've test-driven. I'm not worried about it though.

·
Registered
524 Posts
No problem with shudder here. The car I test drove didn't shudder and I would have been real upset if the ordered car had any issue like that. It does take a lot of pedal movement to get the car moving compared to other cars I've drove but I'm used to it now.

When you inspect the paint on the car make sure you do it outside in the sunlight. My dealer had the car inside the dealership garage and it was hard to see any imperfections in that lighting condition. I had one spot on the paint that I only noticed after I got home and looked over everything again. My dealer took care of it the very next day at the detail shop.

Just make sure you test drive it and check the transmission out real good. Also at some point during the test drive crack each window down one at a time to check for wind noise or whistle. There are some owners that claim a whistling noise comes from the side mirrors. I didn't have that problem on mine.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Hi all,
I'm sure this has been gone over elsewhere, but I don't have time to search through all the threads. I was wondering if anyone could help me know if there are some standard things to watch out for before accepting my Focus that just showed up at the dealer from that factory? Paint issues? Transmission shudder? Head liner peeling?
As already stated, take a good test drive and go over every inch of the car including the engine compartment. Check fluid levels and bring a flashlight to look down the front of the engine compartment at the oil filter to make sure there aren't any leaks. Run your hand over all the seams to make sure they match. You shouldn't have any MFT issues if the car has the updated software. I haven't experienced any shudder issues and my trans has really smoothed out over time, unless there is something very noticeable, give the transmission time to smooth out.

Take your time looking the car over and take your time test driving it.

I have the shudder issue on my trans and some others have steering issues and some others issues with the MFT. These are isolated issues, with the numbers they are building, there's bound to be a few with problems. I know mine does a strange thing on the instruments, Just while sitting in the car with the key out of the switch the gauges will jump momentarily and then settle back down and not do it again for awhile. I haven't noticed this in my Focus but the gauges in my Fusion would bounce after shutting down the car. I thought it was probably the electronics shutting down after the auxiliary timed out.

IMO your best bet is not accept the vehicle and shop somewhere else. Why would you recommend this, the OP hasn't even picked up his/her car yet. Ford does not really seem to care that we are having issues, I have had no problems with Ford or my dealer the two time I've brought my car in for warranty work. I also received a $50 iTunes gift card from Ford. ...whole network of non caring people. Once again, really. There are a couple of isolated incidents I've read here about folks having major issues. RustySocket got fed up when Ford should have replaced the entire MFT unit and the long rambling post from a few days ago seems to be all warranty issues that can be easily resolved. IMO that person should not have accepted the car after a through inspection. My guess is there are a lot more satisfied Focus owners out there than not, I know I am.

Montana

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Check fluid levels and bring a flashlight to look down the front of the engine compartment at the oil filter to make sure there aren't any leaks.
For sure. I had to bring my car back to the dealership after 10 days because the low brake fluid level warning just started coming on and shutting off one day on the way to work. I checked it out and it looked like it was just low to start with, no leaks or anything, but I had the dealership double-check just to be sure. They added some no problem as I guess Ford skimped on it a little. Not a huge problem but if you check and notice while you are there, might save you a trip in a week or two.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I always say if you're unsure, to bring an anal retentive friend to check everything really well. We all have "that friend" who's annoyingly anal, but always helps to have them along when you're unsure. The whole buying a new car can be pretty overwhelming or even emotional to some so its nice to have someone having your back.

And enjoy!

·
Registered
166 Posts
These are isolated issues, with the numbers they are building, there's bound to be a few with problems.

I haven't noticed this in my Focus but the gauges in my Fusion would bounce after shutting down the car. I thought it was probably the electronics shutting down after the auxiliary timed out.

Why would you recommend this, the OP hasn't even picked up his/her car yet?

I have had no problems with Ford or my dealer the two time I've brought my car in for warranty work. I also received a $50 iTunes gift card from Ford.

Once again, really. There are a couple of isolated incidents I've read here about folks having major issues. RustySocket got fed up when Ford should have replaced the entire MFT unit and the long rambling post from a few days ago seems to be all warranty issues that can be easily resolved. IMO that person should not have accepted the car after a through inspection. My guess is there are a lot more satisfied Focus owners out there than not, I know I am.
Ok let's address each one of these.

(1) Ford is claiming it is normal and you are saying it is a isolated incident, So which one is it? Ford also states the engineers are working on a resolution to the problem, Ok if it is normal why are they working to resolve something that is normal? Also Ford has stated it is a adaptive learning phase, Ok so does the owner with the 2012 Focus that has 10,000 miles have a slow learning vehicle as theirs is still having this issue?

(2) Yeah the deal with the gauges is just something I noticed, No big deal I agree. I am still curious and will ask the next time I am at the dealer.

(3) I say this as Ford is denying there is a issue on one hand, Yet the engineers are trying to resolve it in yet another post, and last it is a adaptive learning issue. Ok so we have three different answers to the trans shudder issue. Which one is correct? Should the purchaser paying over 20,000.00 really have to take it in to the dealer to address this issue on a constant basis with less than 1000 miles on it? You don't have the issues some of us have therefore you are not looking at it from the inside but just standing on the sidewalk watching everything go by. I am glad to hear you have a good one as they are nice cars.

(4) I have had a few issues with my dealer but usually they are pretty good.

(5) I agree that there are alot of happy Ford owners out there and I have owned Ford's all my life. I guess what is really rubbing me wrong on this one is Ford is saying it is a normal break in and then the story changes, Also if it is a normal break in why doesn't yours do it? I know there will be new year problems and I have no issues with that, Just be honest about it and say you got a bad run of clutch plates and we will replace them (Not sure that is the issue here but was just a example). Just for kicks and grins let's say Ford produced 10,000 units and 1,000 are experiencing the trans shudder, Ok so 10% do it and 90% don't does that make it a normal issue or a abnormal issue? Last question here, If it was you that had a bad steering rack or the trans shudder so bad it spilled coffee in the car would you be telling me right now how good Ford treats it customers and takes care of them? Probably not and you would have every right to be upset and vocal about getting it fixed. It is your money and you are handing it over in good faith of getting a vehicle that may have issues but preferably not and if it does getting them resolved in a timely matter.

Montana

·
Registered
395 Posts
Kick the tires and enjoy.

Your new vehicle comes with a warranty.
Having warranty and actually getting service is totally separate thing. Good luck getting anything fixed.

My advice to OP test the crap out of the MFT, take a thumbdrive with like 30 songs if it takes anything,more than a minute to finish building index/voice run!

Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
290 Posts

I would differ greatly, from your point of view.

Relatively speaking, you are in the driver's seat, so to speak, before you accept the car. Take your time with a test drive, before accepting, and look very closely at the car, in good light.

Better yet, make the test drive (of a specified duration, on a specified road, at a specified speed - highway conditions) a condition of the sale, at the time of arrival into the dealership (i.e. before the car gets detailed). That way you can see if there was any transit damage. You are buying a new car, with Factory paint, not the most-often inferior non-factory repair materials.

Read this forum, for known issues, not the least of which is the steering rack issue.

For me, I would pay $500 extra for the car, to be able to deal with a dealer that is OK with these things.

·
Registered
152 Posts
As far as exterior problems there's a vid on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pszjQ1aZe70
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUXNNe1C9i0&feature=related

In that video they talk about the rear and front door overlapping, i've looked for this in focus' on my dealers lot and i actually see it alot, where the top of the back door sits in the closed position alot further in then the front door and can get caught on the rubber

I've also noticed the rubber (chrome window trim on SEL/ti's) can actually be pulled away from the pillar on either side (front/back) of the window, it's usually to the back side there can be a 1/8" gap, i've seen it on lots of them.

Check the rear hatch and make sure it doesnt rub on the bumper or anything else when it closes, check all the doors and window operation. Do a test drive, check for a strong shudder, blast the ac and heat, check shit out :p

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
As far as exterior problems there's a vid on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pszjQ1aZe70
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUXNNe1C9i0&feature=related

In that video they talk about the rear and front door overlapping, i've looked for this in focus' on my dealers lot and i actually see it alot, where the top of the back door sits in the closed position alot further in then the front door and can get caught on the rubber

I've also noticed the rubber (chrome window trim on SEL/ti's) can actually be pulled away from the pillar on either side (front/back) of the window, it's usually to the back side there can be a 1/8" gap, i've seen it on lots of them.

Check the rear hatch and make sure it doesnt rub on the bumper or anything else when it closes, check all the doors and window operation. Do a test drive, check for a strong shudder, blast the ac and heat, check shit out :p
In response to the second video:

Interior trim... really? People complain about that? My Mazda steering wheel was the same way. Outside where panels meet is one thing but interior panels not being *perfectly* aligned is normal in an entry level car. This is a Ford Focus, not a Lincoln MKZ, or a Cadillac CTS; it's not a luxury car and the tolerances at the plant are as such lower so the car can be produced faster to reach more consumers, and to keep costs lower too.

People need to calm down about small gripes like these... sure it's a much more upscale Focus than we're used to but lets get real it's still an entry level FORD FOCUS. Exterior panels sticking and being misaligned and rubbing is a legitimate concern but stupid things like "oh my steering wheel cover isn't PERFECT" and the like are just ridiculous.

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
I see we're having this wonderful conversation again.

it is a first year model with new technology. The best way to think of it is like you're beta testing. You may or may not have issues while others seem to have them all. Its always been that way.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts

it is a first year model with new technology. The best way to think of it is like you're beta testing. You may or may not have issues while others seem to have them all. Its always been that way.
Yes, thank you for this post. That's why I'm so surprised at so many early adopters going so insane over stupid issues. It's a brand new car, it went through extensive testing, that doesn't mean there won't be issues still. Hell, the Mazdaspeed 3 I had before had several issues and mine wasn't even the first MY. The new ones STILL have issues, too.

It's just how it works... the Focus is no exception and if anything is more prone to them with all the tech they pack into these things. Ford will make it right if they value their reputation which I assure you they do. The F150 wouldn't be the best selling vehicle year after year if they didn't, because no one would want to buy a car from a crummy manufacturer.

·
Registered
683 Posts

Thank yah, thank you verrry much!
My turn at beta testing starts tomorrow!!
It's my turn for a sleepless night. The way this freaking car drives, I am willing to work with / wait on FoMoCo as updates are released.
That said, inspection before delivery will be completed with patience and a fine tooth comb.
[hihi]

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a spot *inside* one of my headlights where the chrome was rubbed off. It is tiny, so I haven't complained, but it 100% has to have been built that way as it is covered by the clear plastic. If you care about such things, just giving you the heads up. I only noticed it when I was washing the car, any farther away and you cant see it.

·
[:)][:)][:)][:)] I got this!!!!
4,184 Posts

but why get it and have to return in within a day or two then wait.. do the tests and have it done before delivery.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks

Hey Everyone,
Thanks for all the helpful replies. I think I have a pretty decent idea of what the "biggies" to watch out for are now. I'll be heading over the the dealer after work today for my first look. :D

Wish me luck!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts