Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Powering America
8,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I'm going to be headed to Phoenix this summer for a couple of months and was wondering what all I should have inspected. I have a 2000 Sedan with the SPI and just shy of 100,000 miles, if that makes any difference. I recently replaced most/all of my major suspension components and some of minor components too...what else may need replacing? I also replaced the spark plugs back in the fall. Thanks.

Mike

·
Focus Fanatic
7,252 Posts
Last summer, I drove from Missouri to Delaware and back. Before you go you should get your oil changed if its been a long enough time. Also, make sure you check your tire pressure. I also bought new rims and tires a few months before the trip. That might have helped. I really didn't do any maintnence besides those things, and I made it the whole way with no problems. I might have just gotten lucky, but the spi's are very reliable.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
Check you tire press, change your oil, have the car aligned, thats about it.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Having been in Phoenix in the summer, I would advise that you make sure your cooling system is in top shape, e.g., if it hasn't been done for a couple of years, I would have the cooling system flushed and new coolant put in. I would also check all the hoses and replace any that are looking soft.

Might be a good idea to check the serpentine belt as well, feeling the grooved surface to see if there are any chunks missing. Small cracks in the raised bits are OK, but any missing pieces and it should be replaced. If, by any chance, you have never replaced it and it still has the original belt, I would replace it as a preventative measure.

If you have an automatic transmission, I would also have a fluid change if that hasn't been done in the past couple of years/30,000 miles.

Think HEAT and what items are stressed the most by heat. Phoenix in the summer typically has days above 110 degrees, with a blazing Sun, and I was there once when it hit 120.

·
Powering America
8,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to everyone. It is a manual, so no real need to worry about tranny fluid, plus I had the clutch replaced not too long ago and they changed the tranny fluid then. I will be in a classroom most of the time I'm down there, so I shouldn't have to worry about traffic...but I am going to be going through the Rockies to get there, coming from WI, so that may play a factor too. Is there anything else that I should look for? Thanks again.

Mike

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
There's lots of good suggestions in this thread as well:
ROAD TRIP!!!!!! do you think she'll make it across the USA.

Or...read on...
WD40 said:
Couple things to think about in preparation:
1) Give it a fresh oil change.
2) When's the last time you did plugs and air filter?
3) Got good tires? Check the air pressure just before you leave!
4) How's the alignment?
5) Brakes in good shape?
6) Coolant/power steering/brake fluid/tranny fluid all up to the proper levels?
Most of the above is just preventative maintenance.
Give the above items a good checkout before you take off.

Bring an emergency kit.
1) Basic tool kit. (something a little more elaborate than just a Leatherman)
2) Jumper cables.
3) Air pressure gauge.
4) Flashlight.
5) Extra qt of oil.
6) A gallon of water.
7) Blanket.
8) First aid kit.
9) Some munchies to keep you occupied.
10) Good Music!!!
Yeah, I know. I'm still a Boy Scout...Always be prepared.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
BlackNRed01 said:
dont take your car to a dealer with the orp in, its kinda illegal to have
That won't matter. We have Mustangs come in all the time with no cats....the dealer can't do anything about it. Don't waste your time replacing the ORP with the cat....no big deal.

The one thing I would do with a long trip like that is to change the timing belt. They usually go out at about 100k miles. I've seen them go out at 60k miles, so that would be my main priority.

·
Powering America
8,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Svtzx555 said:
That won't matter. We have Mustangs come in all the time with no cats....the dealer can't do anything about it. Don't waste your time replacing the ORP with the cat....no big deal.
Cat is getting put back on before the trip anyway...I would prefer not to take the chance with the police down there since I may be headed to SoCal with it too, I don't know about that yet though.

Mike

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.