Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, Im pretty new to the forums and don't know much about modifying a car.
I have a short ram intake on my 04 svt. I want an exhaust, off road pipe, and a tune. I just don't know what would be the best order to do it. What do you guys think? I have around 600 dollars to put into the car.
I was also wondering if you need a tune with an off road pipe and the stock exhaust?

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
I take it you already did or had a t/b done. For a stock svt= I'd do a t/b & tune. If you can stand the noise, different tone of a orp, then go for that too.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't done a TB. My understanding of aTB is that it gives the illusion of more power, but doesn't actually give you more power. Correct me if I'm wrong.
I was reading a little about an ORP and i read that it sounds a little ricey, is that true? If that is true, then it would be better to do an exhaust and then and ORP, right?

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Orp is going to be noisey, so w/ that I'd add a stealth muffler & resonator. What are you trying to do? A different tone or what? A t/b & tune will take the lazy hesatation off idle.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I want a deeper sound and more power. Would just a tune take the hesitation off idle, and make a noticeable increase in power?

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
I want a deeper sound and more power. Would just a tune take the hesitation off idle, and make a noticeable increase in power?
A tune would really help as will a t/b. The magna flow mufflers are pretty good as well as Borla's. The orp is fairley cheap & you should be able to find one in the bst section cheap, try that 1st & see what you think of the noise(tone).

·
Registered
262 Posts
the first thing to do is speak to tom, he will tune you, and your hesitant take off will be a thing of the past, just do it step by step, its more fun that way,

get toms tune, and listen to what he tells you,

tom will data log you, and take full control of your engine, and adjust you to suit your engines characteristics, as every engine is different, and tom delivers a personal tune for your set up

tom also updates your tune, whenever you add a new mod, and its absolutely free, as long as you stay n/a

i will list you my top mods id order of how good they were

1) toms tune, with motorcraft copper plugs correctly gaped, and 180 degree thermostat, and a wideband aem air fuel ratio, so tom can see your air to fuel ratio, so he knows exactly what to adjust

2) clutch masters clutch and light flywheel
3) cfm 67mm tb
4) dog bone engine mount
5) 67mm throttle body

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I..have an ORP with stock exhaust and stock tune. runs great and does not sound rIcey. Great First mod I'd recommend doing one modification at a time so you know the effect if you do multiple it's hard to tell which one really give you the gaIn

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
^This

·
Registered
262 Posts
get toms tune first bro, its night and day difference, trust me, it will feel like a complete new car, the only problem is you will have sour cheeks from all that smiling you will be doing :)

·
Registered
119 Posts
I don't have Toms Tune, I have the base Diablosport tune and even that was a night and day difference in terms of throttle response power delivery and other things.....

I'd say get the tune!!

·
Registered
129 Posts
I say get the tune as well. Out of all the things done to my car, the tune was the absolute best thing I spent money on.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
I started from stock in April. The first thing I did was a k&n drop in filter. The next was copper plugs and a throttle body then a 180 thermo. The throttle body doesn't do that much power wise but it makes the cars throttle response so much better I couldnt believe the difference. It's worth it trust me. The tune is next on my list the only thing is I started back up at school and now have no money. So I need to wait until December. Everyone I talked to though says the tune will do the most difference. After that it's a cat back and orp for me as well.

·
Registered
297 Posts
the first thing to do is speak to tom, he will tune you, and your hesitant take off will be a thing of the past, just do it step by step, its more fun that way,

get toms tune, and listen to what he tells you,

tom will data log you, and take full control of your engine, and adjust you to suit your engines characteristics, as every engine is different, and tom delivers a personal tune for your set up

tom also updates your tune, whenever you add a new mod, and its absolutely free, as long as you stay n/a

i will list you my top mods id order of how good they were

1) toms tune, with motorcraft copper plugs correctly gaped, and 180 degree thermostat, and a wideband aem air fuel ratio, so tom can see your air to fuel ratio, so he knows exactly what to adjust

2) clutch masters clutch and light flywheel
3) cfm 67mm tb
4) dog bone engine mount
5) 67mm throttle body

Holy cow!! You have two throttle bodies!?!?

I keed I keed. But all joking aside, a tune would be very helpful. I tend to not hop on the TB bandwagon due to the fact that they don't yield any extra horsepower. Sure throttle response increases (the illusion of power), but is that worth the price of admission? Perhaps to some, but just not me.

I believe with your setup and ORP might make it pretty loud and ricey if you didn't couple it with say an FSWerks Stealth exhaust. That being said though, I can attest to the fact that an SVT without cats, running an ORP does feel way different (in a good way!).

My suggestion would be to get your mechanical parts sorted, then finish everything off with a tune. That way you'll get the most out of all the parts you've invested in and installed. [wrenchin]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts