Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got a 2000 zx3 i have cold air intake exhaust rims and pulleys. i got 800 bucks in my pocket i want to go faster all motor no turbo no nitrous what can i do? help me out[sing]

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Tune for starters .....throttlebody also. If you have a short ram intake, get rid of it and get a svt stock airbox with a K&N. Thats proven the best airflow you can get.

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Get a tune from someone like Tom or Focus Sport. Getting a tuner with a good tune makes quite a difference.

·
Registered
190 Posts
a tune is when you reprogram the ECU (the cars "computer") to do different things and make it run smoother. I don't know quiet exactly what is adjusted, but im guessing shift times, voltages, etc.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
go to this link and this will bring you to the tune section of focussport.
http://www.focussport.com/sct_flasher.htm

if you are going to get a throttlebody then when you or if you call FS to get a tune tell them exactly what mods you have and what gas you want your car to run on. mine is 93 oct.
once you give them all of your info and they work something they will talk your cash and sent you out either an xcal 2 or 3 with the tune programmed into it.
you plug it into you obd2 port and then hit install tune. the instructions that the tuner comes with will tell you exactly what to do.

with the tune you can adjust your idle, rev limiter. it eliminates the speed governor, increases throttle response and power and also helps with saving gas. you get more power and use less gas. what more can you ask for!

there isnt really much more you can do all motor wise if you are not that knoledgable about cars.

let me know fi you need anymore info?

·
Registered
331 Posts
If you get a tune get it from Tom, nothing against Focus Sport, thats where mine is from and it works very well, but Tom will give you free updates for life. I just installed a Focus Sport header, and that is definitely my favorite upgrade, added more torque than anything else I have done by far. I would say get a tune then a header, probably do the SVT header swap, from what I have read that seems to be the best.....

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
for 800 bucks the best thing you could POSSIBLY do for your car to increase hp would be buying a SCT xcal 2 or 3 from focussport WITHOUT the tune. and buy a $100 tune from tom which will be better than anything focussport can give you. that should cost about $500 then you can either get a good intake and header and exhaust (2.5 inch at a muffler shop will work great) for that last 300 you got. or use that to buy a really good throttlebody and install it yourself (throttle bodies and intakes are probably the 2 easiest things to install.

·
Registered
442 Posts
tune would probably be good a good idea if you go through tom.

cams are pretty effective. youd need cam gears too if you can find used you will have money left over IF you can install yourself. It will really increase your top end and allow you to stay in the powerband.

·
!FRENCH FRY!
4,236 Posts
tom is THE man when it comes to focus tuning. he's *arguably* (only putting that in there because someone may dispute it otherwise lol) the best to go to if you want to turbo or simply get a tune. his name on here is 1turbotom i believe? idk, never pay much attention, i know it when i see it though lol

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
Tom is 1turbofoucs on here.... he has the Focus-Power forum.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
for 800 bucks the best thing you could POSSIBLY do for your car to increase hp would be buying a SCT xcal 2 or 3 from focussport WITHOUT the tune. and buy a $100 tune from tom which will be better than anything focussport can give you. that should cost about $500 then you can either get a good intake and header and exhaust (2.5 inch at a muffler shop will work great) for that last 300 you got. or use that to buy a really good throttlebody and install it yourself (throttle bodies and intakes are probably the 2 easiest things to install.
that would be wasting money IMO. just PM tom(1turbofocus) and you can buy and xcal tuner AND his tune for life deal(if N/A) for $379 + 20shipping.

if i were you i would get a tune and some cams. you might be in the low 150ish power range. that guess might be a little off tho

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
damn! has it been so long since i bought my xcal 2 that the price dropped nearly 100 bucks? no freakin way! man focussport really sucks! get the flasher and tune from tom lol

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
Get a tune and the svt header.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
BTW my understanding is that if you want cams you have to get a tuner b/c you have to raise the idle speed. at least for the more radical cams. plus you would see more gains than with just cams.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts