Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok here is the deal I have a 2000 focus with the 16v zetec engine. I have already put in cold air intake, demon ignition coil, performance plugs and wires, optima battery, drilled and slotted rotors, and a short shifter and i think the next thing is headers and exhaust, does anyone have any suggestions on what all to do.

·
Retired Fanatic
20,000 Posts
Exhaust is a logical next step...... that is what I would do. What kinds have you looked into?

·
EvenDeathCan'tStopMe
4,894 Posts
SVT header kit

Aftermarket Exhaust

Aftermarket Suspension....

What are your goals for the car? Show or Go?

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
^^^ Exhaust would be your best bet. Try and go with the SVT setup if money
allows or OBX race header with your choice of exhaust.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok exhaust wise I am not sure wat to look for, i would like duals if at all possible, i want that tuner sound (i really like it), but it is goin to be all show and all go, try to mix best of both worlds, but after looking, I want have it lookin good enough for now to do some engine work, I will lay on a body kit and new paint after savin some while doin upgrades, this is goin to be more of a project toy car, i have a 03 explorer that i jsut got, and is for the most part (especially when i really start in on the focus) my everyday car.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
If you are looking for that tuner sound then I would go with the OBX long
tube header and maybe the focus sport exhaust (non stealth) That should
get you the sound that you are looking for.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
any place in particular to find this stuff, or should i go to the local muffler shop? And are these the headers that require removal of cat, or need or high flow cat?

·
Registered
420 Posts
You may want duals...but it's pointless seeing as how it's a 4 cyl.
Unless you want it purely for looks

Which, IMO, is just dumb ;)

Exhaust is your next bet tho. I ordered Magnaflow 2.25" cat-back, and with my CAI, it's nice tone. The matting hasn't broke in yet, so I don't know how loud it'll be in 2 weeks from now

But, it's a nice exhaust, alot of people went w/ trubendz.com the borla exhaust and I haven't heard any complaints

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yea the duals is more for looks, but i could get a single exhaust wit a dual pipes comin out of it, would that be more sensible for the look which is wat i want, but fit the car better?

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
The long tube headers delete the cat converter. With the svt header kit you
can use the Random Tech high flow cat. Only other option if you want to use
a cat is getting a shorty header.

·
EvenDeathCan'tStopMe
4,894 Posts
I've always wanted duals on my sedan.. and for a show piece, they would look AMAZING.. there are very VERY few Foci with duals...

That being because it IS kinda pointless.. but it still LOOKS cool. THe rear lip on my bodykit practically BEGS for a dual exhaust.

But.. a muffler shop wiould be the best bet if you want to go that route, because no one.. and I mean NO ONE makes a true dual exhaust setup for the Focus...

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
As others have said already, the exhaust is the next logical step. Dual exhaust would be, IMO, pointless (one header=single exhaust). If you need to use a cat (and stay emissions legal), then the SVT header or shorty header are your two options. The shorty header would be cheaper, but not as effective as a true long tube header.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Of course no one makes a TRUE DUAL exhuast kit for a 4 cyl

Unless you've dropped a v8 in your Focus

·
Registered
226 Posts
like everyone is saying, dual exhaust is pointless. your not flowing enough fumes out the back to need dual. But since your going for more show then go, you'd want to go to a shop and get it done there. I got an estimate for full catback 2.5in to one magnaflow inc. welding for $195. but with duals, i'd say you could look at around $250+/-. Just make sure they have a good reputation around town and dont mess up while cutting into your bumper to fit the second muffler or pipe exit

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well actually a friend i graduated wit her parents own a muffler shop and have done very well so i would prob go there, i understand that true duals would be pointless but i was wonderin if 1 exhaust with the dual extension would look good and still do the job? and so shorty headers are the ones i want if i want to use a cat and stay legal? i dont even kno if i have to worry bout that does anyone kno wat indiana does?

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
^^^A shorty header is one of two options if you want to stay smog legal. The better set up would be the SVT header kit with a high flow cat. However, if you live in an area where they don't do emissions testing, then you can just go with a long tube header and no cat.....

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well as far as i kno we dont do emissions at least i never have, but i would rather stay legal just in case i ever do move into an area that does, so my next question were do i get a set of svt headers, and should i get a high flow cat or an svt cat or will mine work?

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
First of all, it's one header, not a set (unless you somehow have two banks of cylinders on your four cylinder....). Okay, enough of my nit-picking, onto what really matters--Your stock cat will not work. You will need to buy a high flow cat (or the stock SVT should work, but I'm not 100% sure on this), and also will need a new flexpipe, SVT oil dipstick, and possibly the SVT power steering line.

I'm in the progress of putting one of these on my car (i.e.--gathering all of the necessary parts). I bought the SVT dipstick and a used SVT header from Focussalvage. I will not be going with a high flow cat (off road pipe instead...there goes my emissions legal vehicle...), and getting an SVT flex pipe somewhere. Also, a used SVT header will not have the EGR bung in it, so you cannot hook up the EGR system, and will therefore set off a check engine light, unless you weld in a bung (the EGR system can be deactivated by getting an Xcal2 and tuning your car).

Now, you can bypass all of the crap in the paragraph above by just getting the SVT header 'kit' that is available. It includes everyting you need to put the SVT header on Zetec (including the bung in the header for the EGR tube). It is available from a few places (Mcnews is one). It can be a little pricey though, but I've heard of people getting good deals on them.

The only reason I didn't go with this kit is because I wanted to save myself some cash. Not to mention, where is the fun in having something that just bolts on, with no problems at all.......

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ok i see wat u are sayin, i however would rather pay more for proper workin lol and i am not as mechanically inclined like i would like to be so i would have someone do it so bolt on sounds good lol thanks

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
The kit comes with everything you need to make it a direct bolt on. I was just able to get a good deal on a used header, that's the real reason I'm piecing mine together.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts