Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok just bought a 03 liquid grayish 4 door se...it has 19,940 miles on it and nothing wrong with it to speak out pretty much brand spanking new...my question is what mods out there should i invest in if i'm going to have this car for prolly at least 3-4 years and going to be driving it everyday. I enjoy driving but with this car the worse thing is that it is an freakin AUTOMATIC!!!! i know i know i know but i got a good deal on the thing so....anyway......should i go with an increase of hp and if so how much...i was thinking the usual SRI catbacks...blah blah blah...but if there are any suggestions on this to put the fun back into driving. I would like to keep the cost down...just like everyone else but i'm pretty much open to anything right now.....looks are such a big deal to me now b/c i can always do that later. I guess if there was anyway to convert it to manuel i would prolly do it as long as it wasn't going to cost as much as the car...but still i'm guessing it would be pricy so might as well throw some force induction stuff in there instead.

If anybody just want to post some stuff i'm on the computer like 24/7 anyway so i'll prolly be reply with in 20 min. or so..

thanks

·
Registered
545 Posts
intake, exhaust, throttle body, suspension are all good to do. Are you sure that your car is a duratec engine, and not a zetec? Someone did a post about a auto to manual conversion, try using the search button, but from what i remember it was going to be more of a hastle than it was worth.

congrats on the new car!

·
Banned
4,483 Posts
Get a tune, and it will offset the way the atx. shifts from the factory. Makes the right lots more fun at WOT>

·
Banned
4,483 Posts
Get a tune, and it will offset the way the atx. shifts from the factory. Makes the ride lots more fun at WOT>

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well i'm thinking i'm going to go pick up the car tonight or tommrow night the owners just got the title today so...idk if i'm going to get it switched today or tommrow anyway...i'm pretty sure it is a duratec b/c it is the ecoline or the cheaper verison idk if this has anything to do with what motor they put in them but...i'm guessing it is. I kinda hope it is a vetec but....to me hp is hp no matter what shape or form it is in...i think the tunning idea is where i'll prolly go...how much does that run and get just the engine tunned or what....sorry about the deley on the repley got a little sidtracked at work ha ha ha

·
Registered
864 Posts
no they did not put the duratec in the econoline version of the car... and if i were you i would want a duratec anyway, becuase they come with more standard HP and also react better to bolt on mods.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well that is nice to know to...like i said though...engine is an engine to me as long as i can bolt on the assorsory and increase a good amount of hp that will keep up with some nicer cars...and i guess here is another question to to whoever...how much hp additional power can be gain from just add on accessorys such as SRI catback chip so on an so forth....

·
puddins betch
0 Posts
get a sct excal II flash programer and you will be able to change anything you want when you want and if you get a new part for the car you can change the programe to fit the mods and swap a perf program to stock if anything happens to the car and it has to go back to the dealership for any knid of warranty work at all ( if u change the program on the cars brain box u will void everything in the warranty)

and oh yes welcome to your new adiction

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the advice...but don't you think i should get some mods b4 i get the flasher? And i don't care about the warrenty b/c it doesn't have the extend warrenty so it was up like a few months ago......good and bad there so i don't have to worry about voiding the warrenty so i'm good to go for mods!!

i have been driving it around and it has pretty good pick up.....but i know i just need a little more but i think the SRI, TB, and exhaust will get me there but like i said i start college here in like a month so......funds are very very limited....maybe i can look for some used parts or something that might be the best bang for the buck for me....what do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Just because you have a tuner/flasher does NOT mean you can alter a tune. You have to purchase the ProRacer edition to be able to fully tune a car. Normally when you buy the flasher all you can do is load the files that are given to you by the dealer. I would reccomend to the vast majority of people who get tuning do not do it on their own unless they have: a laptop, access to a dyno, time, extra money, good computer skills, a LOT of automotive knowledge, and a good understanding of how an ecu actually works.

I've used the software and it is incredibly complicated in some respects. There are a lot of different tables and you have to do a lot of reading and poking around to figure out what everything does.

Basically, unless you are a pro get your tuning from MarcyMotorsport or FocusSport.

I would also reccomend that you get an intake as the very first mod followed by an exhaust. If you want to take it further get cams and a header; this is when you would get tuning.

·
Registered
56 Posts
All i read on here is about the SCT Xcal and Xcal 2, why hasnt anyone messed with Apexi S-AFC or something along those lines??? Seems like a little better of a fuel tuning product over the Xcal, im just not a fan of data logging then emailing the info to somebody then him sending you a tune back for a price. But thats just me.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
uh.........ya areostudent...i deffinatly agree on the lines of intake and exhaust....is it worth getting the loud exhaust for the ATX or should i go with the stealth model??? What intake AEM Volant ect. and what exhaust magnaflow? Bolra?? and how much does a tune from FS run??

and to mongo good question we need to get some vertrans in here to answer that question

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Marcy Motorsport intake, Borla exhaust, and a tune from FocusSport.

I ran that combo minus the tune for around 6months and absolutely loved the car. The borla is nice and deep and throaty. I drive a manual so I don't know how this part would apply to you, when I downshifted it had the most awesome burble and pop.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i have heard good things about the MM intake.......and i have heard that the borla exhaust is nice but it is also pricy..so people are going the the mangnaflow....i guess i just need some more recommendations

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Part of the reason the Borla is pricey is the quality of the parts. The tubing they use is very high quality and lightweight.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
as far as i can tell u still dont know what engine u have. your talking about v-tech this is not a honda. all u have to do is see what side the header is on is it in the front or the back because u can be posting in the wrong section all together granted we can still help u out but its better when your in the right forum. with the engine u have. so check that out first

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
ohiofocusnewbie said:
how much did you pay for it and where did ya get it....how much of a trottle response did you get??
What I pay for stuff really doesn't apply as a lot of my parts are test parts and my car has been used as a test car extensively. Throttle response is something that is in no way quantifiable.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
sorry cruzstyle my bad i know that honda make the v-techs...i ment zetec......and on that side not i would never stray away from the focus to a honda anyway... but to areo student...i guess you are right on getting what you paid for but...if the magnaflow is about the same thing..all but a little in the sound and cheaper...me going to college here in a month....i would prolly go that route but.....i guess its not to good to cut coners either and e-bay the whole thing out......

1 - 20 of 29 Posts