-170 HP
-Everyone has a Focus
-As much as I hate to admit it, I hate Ford

VW GTI 1.8 Pros
-180 HP
-Turbocharged, so easy to modify
-The 20th Anniversary model is gorgeous

VW GTI 1.8 Cons
-Since Ive always driven a Mustang, Im not familiar with the 4 cylinders, and I dont know of any aftermarket companies I can trust.
-VW quality hasnt been too high with my girlfriend's GTI.

So before I go and buy one of these, I want your guys opinions. Thanks a lot, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
237 Posts
It's a hard choice eh? I wanted a GTI all my life and ended up with the SVT. I never drove the 20th, but the regular GTI 1.8T was really soft.

Between the standard GTI and SVT, I would go SVT. The 20th though is a hard desicion. I wanted a car that handles and had good power, that was the lighter SVT. If I got a turbo I would be soo anal, have to get a turbo timer on day 1!

Sorry, I am no help...I saw a blue 20th and it looked really good...If you have money, why not wait for the R32?

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
first off your on the focus forums so everyone will say focus

Second everyone has a focus this is true but almost no one has the SVTs ive seen maybe 3 since ive gotten mine compare that to the GTI also VW is low quality it will break down alot anyone whos ever owned a European car can tell u the one downfall 2 them is the fact that their unreliable second although the turbo is nice it also counts for more unreliability and more expenses if the car screws up although the SVT only has 170 hp there is alot that could be done it has no turbo or super add one although it may cost abit but it will have some real power performance mods that could boost this car are unlimited thats one thing i like about it

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I second that...get the R32 if you have the coin...

If not, drive both and see what you think. One of my best friends has a 20th AE GTI and it is nice. I've owned nothing but VW's for years...here is what I can tell you, and why I bought my SVT:

GTI

Pros:
Awesome torque
VERY VERY easy to modify...200-225 whp is easy depending on how much you want to spend and what companies you go with.
Great looks
Supportive real Recaros
slick-shifting 6 speed
more aftermarket support than SVT
sweet interior
turbo sound
nicely spaced gear ratios

Cons:
excessive wheel-hop
quality of build...so far his comfort module went and his horn goes off for no reason sometimes. The windows will go up and down for no reason, too.
prehistoric rear suspension
drive by wire throttle
wimpy K03 Turbo...good, but only for so long with so many mods
harsh ride (well, compared to SVT)
no HID option
no factory sub (if you wanted one)
Price (in the end, his car will cost almost $8k more than my SVT)

SVT

Pros:
nice tranny
awesome handling
good brakes
subtle yet sporty interior
subtle yet sporty exterior
steering column mounted radio controls
HID's (if you get em)
Audiophile (if you get it)
somewhat conveniently placed cupholders (compared to GTI)
comfortable on long trips
Better service (than VW)
high RPM engine sound

Cons:
lack of torque
limited aftermarket
body role
stock shifter throw
tall gearing

As you can see, my viewpoints are skewed towards the SVT, which is why I bought one. In general, parts/labor/service is cheaper and easier to get for a Ford than for a VW. Also, consider the cost of the car...as I mentioned, I saved a considerable amount of money over his car. IMO, the SVT was a better, more enjoyable package despite it's shortcomings. Yeah, I would like the extra torque and the responsive aftermarket that comes with the venerable 1.8t, but the SVT communicates with me in a way the GTI never did. If you told me that I'd own a ford one year ago, I'd prob tell you to get lost...I ONLY drove VW's...

Hope this helps

·
Registered
565 Posts
wow, yeah, i think essveetee said it all best.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I'd say its about equal to the gti, but the original post mentioned the 20th AE, which is what I considered. That car has far less roll than a regular GTI....but otherwise, you are right.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Muchas gracias guys. Im going to drive my girlfriend's 20th Anniversary GTI tomorow on the way to the Ford dealership to drive an SVT...that way they'll both be fresh in my mind.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
comes with the 337 body kit, 18" OZ wheels, 02J 6-speed, different headlight, recaros, black headliner, aluminum pedals/dead pedal, aluminum trim, aluminum gauges, deeper sounding stainless exhaust, lower/stiffer springs, better struts, and oh yeah, the 1.8t. If you want the 20th AE though, you better hope you can find one. They are only selling a limited number this year, the only year (less than ~5000, but I can't remember the exact number).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Theres a couple 20th anniversarys on autotrader...but theyre all used. i wouldnt mind getting a new car. we'll see what happens tomorow. plus the insurance on the VW will be higher because of the turbo...and insurance is the whole reason im not getting a V8 mustang.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I read this thread last night and thought, this is one for, Infra3sv and essveetee...LOL I knew you too would answer. You both are the SVTF Tech Help Assistants....so glad to have you...[;)]

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
R&DSVTZX5 said:
I read this thread last night and thought, this is one for, Infra3sv and essveetee...LOL I knew you too would answer. You both are the SVTF Tech Help Assistants....so glad to have you...[;)]

thanks for the kind words[:)]

and BTW, if any of you are really interested in buying a VW, check out www.vwvortex.com . Their forum moves very very quickly and is loaded with useful information (good and bad).

Also, I forgot to mention that the SVT's brakes are bigger than the stock GTI's. The 20th AE has 12" front brakes as opposed to the SVT's 11.8". The rear GTI brakes..not sure what size, but they are vented whereas the SVT is solid. All in all, the SVT will outbrake a stock GTI and should hang with (or maybe beat, i dunno) the 20th AE. Don't forget the SVT (3 door)weighs at least 200 lbs less than the 20th AE.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Im goin to Ford in like an hour. I'm all excited about driving the SVT. Some kid about four hours north of me is buying my car, so I have to wait for him before I can buy...but I cant wait for my new car. My gut is tellin me its gonna be the SVTf

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Also I forgot to ask...how is that Audiophile sound system? The GTI 20th comes with the Monsoon, and its kick ass. Is the Audiophile just as good? Also...(lots of stupid questions...) have any of you guys gone against a GTI on the street. I dont street race at all, but I cant let my girlfriend have a faster car than me.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
I'm getting in late on this one. Look at it this way, ultimately they are both very similar cars. Both are small, sporty, fun-to-drive and appeal mostly to the younger generations. Obviously, I own an SVT, but I really like that 20th AE GTI. I have never owned a VW, so I can't comment on reliability or build quality, but I can't see how it could be much worse than the SVT's.

Don't get me wrong, so far *MY* SVT has been fine, but there are a lot of people out there who don't seem to be so lucky. And my lack of problems is probably due to the fact that I rarely get to drive the car - in almost a year now, I have driven the car 5,500 miles!! VW (and German brands in general) have always been what are considered a "high-maintenance" car. Not necessarily because the build quality sucks. Then again, I looked at a Jetta 1.8t when car-shopping, I thought it was nice but was turned off by the number of complaints I found on the internet about build quality. So, I don't know what to think there.

Your choice - what you like better wins out. Had I been in the market for a car a little later in time (when the 20th GTI came out, it wasn't out at the time I bought my SVT) I would have SERIOUSLY considered the VW.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts