Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curios what tires you have & your thoughts?

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
i'll do past and present.

Nexen N3000 - cheap, not very good grip dry or wet. lasted long time due to high UTQQ. wouldn't buy again.

General Alitmax artic w/ studs - best value for money snow tire. I'm over 4 winters on them, and will do one more. Would buy again. wouldn't get the studs again, too little performance gain and are noisy.

Goodyear Eagle F1 DSG3 - good value, decent dry grip, excellent wet grip and hydroplane resitance. was the best wet tire I had ever had until I drove the...

Conti ExtremeContact DW. best wet tire I have ever. they drive in the rain like the pavement is dry. I use them to race wet days. they really are magic. decent in dry but not as good as other max performance summer tires. good price. would buy again.

Conti ExtremeContact DWS - great all season, smooth, quiet, good wet grip. ok dry. weak sidewalls (blew 2 out when wife clipped a curb)

Sumitomo HTR 2 - cheap. that's the only reason I bought them. they're just awful in the rain, despite and aggressive v pattern tread. would not buy again.

Nokian Hakkapelita 7 studded - best winter tire grip I have ever. noisiest tire (studs) I have ever. expensive. im only 1 season on these yet.

Yoko AO32R - decent starter R compound tire. long wearing. not as grippy as the Kuhmo or Hoosiers. more suited to lapping days or time attack rather than auto-x

Kuhmo V710 - very grippy R compound autox tire. decent wear. lasted me >1 season autox

Hoosier A6 - most grippy R compound I have ever. expensive as [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]. >$300 each tire. lasts me about 1 season. will buy again, that's why they call them purple crack.

Reactions: felixthecat

·
Deutsche Arsche
2,549 Posts
On which car lol.

2013 ST-OEM tires, bought an extras set someone was unloading on the cheap.
2004 ST170- Ventus all season, daily drivers
2001 ZX3-OEM about 2000 miles and swapped to 17"
GY F1's got these used, maybe 1000 miles on them, 12,000 miles on them
Dunlop SP9000(great rain tire and autobahn tire). 16,000 miles
RT615 daily autobahn, auto X and Ring(s) tires, good dry good wet, fair in cold/snow.1600 miles with rotation
NT01 some autobahn, Ring(s), auto-x, great dry, fair in wet, rain not really, cold/snow was fun till something broke, 300miles only out of a set with rotation.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great review & write ups as this give us a clue of your findings & thoughts. Thanx guys.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I've had two sets of General G max As03 zrated all season tires on my ST. Good tires dry and wet, pretty decent snow traction too. They ride great, no noise. Way better than the loud as heck eagle gts tires i replaced. Years ago on my SVTF I had Pirelli pzero nero m&s tires, which were also a good all season tire.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've had two sets of General G max As03 zrated all season tires on my ST. Good tires dry and wet, pretty decent snow traction too. They ride great, no noise. Way better than the loud as heck eagle gts tires i replaced. Years ago on my SVTF I had Pirelli pzero nero m&s tires, which were also a good all season tire.
We're those P-zero nero a/s fast wearing? What made you go w/ the General's vs the dws's?

·
Registered
582 Posts
The zeros only had 6k on them before I got rid of the car. My first set of General gmaxs went 25k, pretty decent considering how I drive. I liked the reviews on the gmaxs, which were brand new when I bought them. They look nice, aren't overpriced and had all the qualities I wanted. Low noise, good wear, all season traction. Liked em enough to buy a second set!

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea, I looked at those to replace my Conti extremecontacts & went w/ the replacements= dws's.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I currently have a set of DWS's and replaced the crappy dealer tires that wore way too quick and were so noisy I couldn't even hear anything else.

I had a set on my last car and they performed well in all weather and I was surprised at how well they did in the snow not being a winter tire.

Good enough to buy again for my focus. Glad you like them felix.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I currently have a set of DWS's and replaced the crappy dealer tires that wore way too quick and were so noisy I couldn't even hear anything else.

I had a set on my last car and they performed well in all weather and I was surprised at how well they did in the snow not being a winter tire.

Good enough to buy again for my focus. Glad you like them felix.
Yea, if I didn't have to deal w/ cruddy winter weather, I'd be on the Dunlop star spec's or the DW's

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Here are the tires that I have had:

Michelin Pilot Sport 3 235/40R18: Grip was never a concern. They became unbearably loud around 25k miles (thanks, bad rear wheel bearings). I drove them close to 40k miles before I finally replaced them. There was some tread left, but the noise was unbearable. The LRR part was nice too.

Nokian Hakkapeliitta R 195/65R15: Winter grip was excellent. I'll admit that ice grip was better the first winter, but I didn't ever feel uncomfortable driving on these tires. I probably shouldn't admit it, but I was "that guy" driving the speed limit in a blizzard on the highway while everyone else was driving 15mph. They got to 4mm of tread at about 45k miles and I decided that's when I should replace them. I was also able to plow (seriously, like 8 inches of snow) myself out of the driveway/alley lots of times while my friends and roommates got stuck. Again, these were LRR tires - I definitely got better gas mileage on these than the pilot sports (hub caps and lower rotational moment of inertia of the tire/wheel combo probably helped)

Kumho Ecsta PA31 235/40R18: Wet grip from a stop could be better, but I haven't had any issues with wet grip while driving/turning. For the price, I really can't argue on these. I'd comment on noise/harshness, but both of my front bearings are also bad so I don't really know yet. But honestly, all 4 wheel bearings went bad in less than 75k miles? Milwaukee's roads must be horrible, because I drive all highway miles and I don't drive like Ken Block.

Yokohama iceGUARD iG52c 195/65R15: Haven't driven on them yet. Relatively cheap, LRR tires.

Reactions: felixthecat

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanx for your input, PratoN. So the Michelin pilot sport 3's were noisy or the wheel bearings? And you had to replace the w/b's at low mileage?

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Thanx for your input, PratoN. So the Michelin pilot sport 3's were noisy or the wheel bearings? And you had to replace the w/b's at low mileage?
The tires got noisy because they wore irregularly - which I can only assume was caused by driving on the bad wheel bearings for over a year. The same thing happened to my Nokian winter tires (but not as badly since they're not as wide) and I couldn't even rotate them to the opposite side of the vehicle without dismounting them because they're directional.

I replaced both rear bearings and put on adjustable camber arms to bring the camber closer to neutral; I'm just hoping that doing so extends the life of the bearings. Maybe it was the salt and not the camber - I'll cut the hubs open one day soon and share. [:)] I miss serviceable tapered bearings... and I'm only 25. haha

Sorry to derail the thread!

A few of the runner ups I've considered:
Continental ExtremeContact DW
Hankook Ventus S1 Noble2
Michelin X-Ice Xi3
Bridgestone Blizzak WS80

·
Registered
60 Posts
Out of all the tires I have had, The 215 40/18 continental extreme contact dw were by far the best. I was stupefied by their wet traction. Road noise was almost non existant. They don't have a really aggressive tread pattern if you are going for looks but that was not one of my concerns. I ended up selling the car over a year ago and those tires are still on it last time I checked with the new owner.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Kumho Solus:
Made in China. Came with the car when i purchased it, with 16K on them the fronts were half worn down, the rears had plenty of life to them. The exception was 3 out of the 4 tires had damage to them from the accident, one front tire had a chunk taken out of the rim protector and the rears had rotational damage from the rear impact with thread showing in one of the grooves created by the damage.
Replaced the tires a week after purchasing the car.....

Hankook Ventus V4 215/45ZR17:
Made in Korea. First new set of tires, they were semi quiet on the road but had an annoying hollow rubber bouncing ball sound to them. Unfortunately an alignment issue started to wear the rear tires cupping the inside shoulder. Being a directional tire i had to rotate front to back back to front and with the cupping created on the rear tires the noise became progressively worse with subsequent rotations. I had the alignment corrected but the damage was done...tried a few things to try and reduce the noise, such as sanding the high spots of the cupping with marginal results to swapping shoulders on the tires and swapping sides to maintain rotational direction which did help tremendously till it wore down to the cupping damage to just running them backwards for a while to reduce the feathering of the tread blocks and reduce some of the noise generated.
Dry driving traction was OK, wet was OK too, ice and snow was quite slippery and had to exercise extreme caution while driving. couldn't get up my driveway with 3 inches of snow on it, had to shovel to get enough grip to make the 1.5% grade... Tire fold on sharp turns was a concern, the few times i had to make a sharp turn it felt like the tires were losing air fast.... The tires also had this mushy spot wherever the center of the steering was, felt like springy play in the steering that caused me to overcompensate to get the direction i needed then to re compensate to correct for the overcompensation.
The tires eventually started to oscillate even more harshly despite all the actions taken to reduce the noise and uneven tread wear, the rumble from it was so loud not even the radio cranked was overcoming it.....
I got 27K out of the 50k advertised life expectancy due to the alignment issue prematurely wearing them. I honestly could of gotten about 5 to 8 more k out of the tires as the wear indicators were almost being touched, but the noise generated by the tires were so intense i couldn't take it any more!!!!! [vommit]

Goodyear Eagle Authority 215/45ZR17 91W:
Made in Chile. Ya i know these are walmart re brands.... In the past month i had these tires put on the car, The tread is thick and beefy, the rim protector is very very thick too!!! so far they don't fold on sharp turns.... i had to test that out!!! [8] They don't have the mushy center steering feel and are very responsive, The dry traction is decent and what limited wet traction I've been able to test is decent too (still need to test the wet traction at highway speeds). The noise they generate is a low rumble when going slow (30 mph) but is not all that loud. There's very little to no hollow sound to the tires and when up to highway speeds the tires are mostly quiet with no rumble at all, the noise generated while on concrete surfaces is surprisingly quiet compared to other tires and traveling on asphalt the noise is relatively quiet the newer the asphalt road gets. Its a decent tire not totally quiet but so far surprised by the overall lack of noise on multiple surfaces with the aggressive tread blocking on the outboard side of the tire. Snow and ice traction i cant report on as i haven't encountered these conditions ...Yet!
So far i have 800 miles on these tires and the tread is at this point wearing very slowly, Still see most of the casting slop bumps, there isn't any appreciable brake feathering on the tread blocks and I'm not detecting any abnormal wear patterns either.
Hopefully ill get a good 40 to 50K out of these tires even though they don't have a mileage tread wear rating.... but say on the sidewall a rating of 400.

I was considering the Continental Extreme Contact DWS Tires but it literally was $16 out of my budget range. the Goodyear Eagle Authority has a tread pattern that almost identical with a few exceptions to the DWS.
Maybe next time if I'm not satisfied with the current tires??

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Out of all the tires I have had, The 215 40/18 continental extreme contact dw were by far the best.
^^^Those are suppose to do really good, specially in wet conditions.
Kumho Solus:
^^^ Fast wearing tires is what I found

Hankook Ventus V4 215/45ZR17:

^^^ Directional dry/wet tire that are pretty good for the coin.
Goodyear Eagle Authority 215/45ZR17 91W:

^^^ Asymmetrical tires that you can cross rotate & of course similar to the Goodyear gt's. Let us know down the road how you like them & how they're holding up.
I was considering the Continental Extreme Contact DWS Tires but it literally was $16 out of my budget range. the Goodyear Eagle Authority has a tread pattern that almost identical with a few exceptions to the DWS.
Maybe next time if I'm not satisfied with the current tires??
^^^From what I read & reviewed these are the best a/s tires for snowy/icy conditions. Thanx for your input you guys.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts