Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking at some wheels Size: 15" x 7" with +40mm Offset. everything on the car is stock. but will be lowering it to the ground. or as much as possible. remember lower the tire lower the car and happier i will be.

·
Registered
744 Posts
depends.. the lower the profile of the tire, the more prone of rim damage and bent rims on pot holes.. its not recommended... however 195 50 15 is the smallest i know off, like the ones above. it will throw off your speedometer, as any tire/ rim size will if its not stock tire size. if your going to lower it, some say you will rub with that offset, some say you wont. its a hit or miss.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Posted via FF Mobilewhats a scanguage?

·
Registered
374 Posts
I have a Scangauge...that's an Ultragauge. Costs less and is what I should have bought. How's it holding up?

Have you ever used the Avg mpg and Instant mpg readouts to save gas?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Posted via FF Mobile i want one! You recomend buying which one? By the way i cant spell.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm using some 195-50-15 and they're plenty low. I'd be very nervous going any lower.

Posted via FF Mobile now how low is that car? How did you lower it? And one last ? Do u have a lip kit on it?

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
off topic, but why not buy a Flasher and just reset the expected tire size so your guages and odometer are right?

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Yes, it's an Ultragauge. I paid about $70 I think. There was a rebate available for $10.00, but there was too much bull[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]* involved.
I'm using the H&R Cup Kit. I'm lowered about 1.5-2". That's the Kaminari Lip Kit. That was probably $600.00 or so 5 years ago.
The mileage should be accurate. Miles are miles.
I really don't need a flasher, I'm fine with the way it is. I put 17's on for the winter anyway.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
I have a Scangauge...that's an Ultragauge. Costs less and is what I should have bought. How's it holding up?

Have you ever used the Avg mpg and Instant mpg readouts to save gas?
No I haven't. It constantly changes if you use instant MPG. It's kind of a distaction when driving. I use the MPH, intake temp, and RPM mostly. The only glitch right now is the unit produces some heat. It's been hot as hell around here lately and when the unit heats up + ambient temp, it will shut it self down so it won't overheat. My AC crapped out, so this just started for me last month.

·
Registered
374 Posts
No I haven't. It constantly changes if you use instant MPG. It's kind of a distaction when driving. I use the MPH, intake temp, and RPM mostly. The only glitch right now is the unit produces some heat. It's been hot as hell around here lately and when the unit heats up + ambient temp, it will shut it self down so it won't overheat. My AC crapped out, so this just started for me last month.
Good thing about the Scangauge is that it sits right above the steering column out of the sun. Bad thing is what I paid. I use the avg mpg/instant mpg/TPS...which tells me how much throttle I'm using/IAT...intake air temp....then occasionally a few others for info when needed.

I drive for mpg...trying to increase the avg mpg each trip and using feedback from instant mpg to see what it is I'm doing that affects mpg...TPS is used to monitor throttle position. Can be distracting...but it is really a matter of retraining yourself. It's not all [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)] footing the throttle...though some of it is.

My last mixed driving full tank came in at 36 mpg (measured when refilled) ...the car would do low 40s on the highway..but I haven't taken any long highway trips with it. Had a couple of mostly highway trips around 15 miles that came in at 39-40 though. My AC works, but when I use it I lose mpg...only use it above 80F or so if I can't stand the heat.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, I'm about 5+ on the MPH. I use a scangauge and hardly look at the speedo anymore.

Posted via FF Mobile now u say u use a scanguage for your mph. And the stock speedo is +5 mph off. Wouldnt your scanguage be off as well. It is running through you computer and the speedo is running off of a sensor going through ur computer as well. Wouldnt they both be +5mph off?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Posted via FF Mobile now u say u use a scanguage for your mph. And the stock speedo is +5 mph off. Wouldnt your scanguage be off as well. It is running through you computer and the speedo is running off of a sensor going through ur computer as well. Wouldnt they both be +5mph off?
You can use Google Earth or a GPS to determine your "real" speed. Even one of those speed indicators the cops put out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts