Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my header back from Jet Hot and went to install the header and Random Tech cat this evening. With out a question, the header is interfering with the oil pan. What the h#ll?? Has Random Tech changed the design of it? Got it from McNew's - I'll have to call them too. Is it possible at Jet Hot the header got bent or warped? I see no signs of damage.. Fricking ticked off - it's been about three weeks now since it's been all torn apart.......

[:(!] [:(!] [?|] [?|]

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's the thread I remembered reading too - how DO you pull those out like that?

Well, I now have a dilemma I guess. It isn't just close, it touches enough that where the cat and header flanges meet, there is a small gap at the top side with the lower bolt in and tight. I have a floor jack - I might try to carefully spread it open a bit. I already played with it some, and then came in here to the board to ask you all.

After reading that thread WD, I do remember I bumped a concrete parking stop one time a long while ago - enough that it put two shallow gouges in one of the lower tubes. I ground them out b4 getting it coated but I bet......that she's sprung a bit from that incident, and probably enough to cause this issue now.

Now that the dang thing is coated, it's going to make dealing with the header a bit more touchy......[paranoid] [paranoid]

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Ouch, you might have to bend the header if you can. I heard of some other people on here getting a shop to heat the R/T pipe and bending it (pre-cat) this seemed to work well I think. Good luck.

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
^^^Yeah^^^
I'd try heating/bending the CAT first, before working on the header.

That's the thread I remembered reading too - how DO you pull those out like that?
LOL!!
They used to call me "The Librarian" on the Bronco forums I used to frequent. [;)]

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oooo Ooooo! Update!!

Well, I very, very carefully got the header sprung back. Man, a good floor jack comes in handy.

I just went little by little but it took a lot of pressure to spring it open a bit. The wood is hardwood - anything else and I think it would have split and damaged the header. No damage what-so-ever!!!

Now I can just barely get my fingers between the cat and oil pan - probably 8-10mm gap now. That'll do I think.. Whew!!!

Well, hopefully this might end up being a thread to reference for other people who discover a similar problem. Ok, back to work[cheers]

·
Registered
411 Posts
Damn those headers look NICE!!! I'm a noob so bare with me but does that coding or whatever make them perform better?

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
SVTFsOnIcBlUe said:
Damn those headers look NICE!!! I'm a noob so bare with me but does that coding or whatever make them perform better?
Yeah the coating will keep the header from getting as hot as an uncoated one. Equaling less heat in the engine bay = more performance. Supposedly. I have this done on mine and I did notice a little bit, but I really only coated the header to make it last longer. I don't want to go out to a store 20 years from now or more looking for a 2004 SVT Focus header. Coating will make the header last almost forever if properly maintained.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
WD40 said:
Damn! That's using your head. Great idea! [thumb]
Did you heat it at all, or bend it cold?

No heat - I have no heat source even if I wanted to. I figured, with all the bends in it to begin with, there should be some "give" to it with the right amount of pressure. No, didn't want to damage the coating with heat either. My main worry was that the coating might crack or flake - nothing. It actually worked great. The thing to watch is that the boards don't slip - I tried having the jack a bunch of other positions and this was the only way it didn't slip under extreme pressure. I'm frankly quite impressed with the coating for the fact that it didn't crack at all. Maybe once it is heated up, I'll see something, but I doubt it. I only had to separate the flanges a short distance and I imagine the bending was spread out over the entire header, not just in one spot, which probably helped.

Well, cat is going on tonight, barring no emergency calls........

MISVTfocus - thanks for answering the other question - couldn't get to it for the crazy schedule. Where abouts are ya in Motown? I grew up near Pontiac.....

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not exactly my stomping ground, but I know the area some. Still kind of miss the area but I bet it's changed alot in the last 12 years though. Can be a small world some times. Later[thumb]

·
Registered
451 Posts
Wow that header looks freakin' sweet. Thats something I will do one day for sure.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts