Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A few weeks ago I installed new pads and rotors. Centric rotors and Hawk HPS. All was fine until a day or two ago when I noticed that my brakes were squealing under normal braking.
Ex. Driving along on 50 mph, brake to a stop as normal and right about at 20 mph( according the speedo) there is a very noticeable squeak/squeal. I have not noticed the squeal at higher speed, just at about 20 mph.
Will this fade after some more miles are racked up?

Thanks

Edit: I am fairly sure it is the pass. front

·
Registered
211 Posts
I actually HATE the Hawk pads I put on my mustang... I'm having the same problem, no matter how many times I tear them apart, clean them, grease them, still horribly loud..

·
Registered
115 Posts
Are they drilled/slotted? I've heard those have a little howling noise when braking at certain speeds.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you lubricate the backs of the pads when you installed them?
Yes I did, but not very well. Could have used more.

I actually HATE the Hawk pads I put on my mustang... I'm having the same problem, no matter how many times I tear them apart, clean them, grease them, still horribly loud..
Are yours loud or squealing?

·
slow
1,734 Posts
Did you bed the brakes in properly? When I drive the autox car on the street it makes a lot of noise, but that's with HP+ hawks, and its just the nature of that pad. It is the worst when crusing between 40 and 50, at these speeds I can't keep any heat in the pads/rotor, and they are loud at every stoplight.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did you bed the brakes in properly? When I drive the autox car on the street it makes a lot of noise, but that's with HP+ hawks, and its just the nature of that pad. It is the worst when crusing between 40 and 50, at these speeds I can't keep any heat in the pads/rotor, and they are loud at every stoplight.
I dont know, what is the proper way?

·
Titular Wit Here
5,205 Posts
FWIW I had Hawk HPS pads put on with new OEM rotors on my SVT, they were quiet at first but eventually did develop a mild squeak under light braking conditions. Come to think of it, the Hawk pads I put on the GTO are starting to do the same thing.

The shop who did my SVT brakes let me know up front the pads were likely to make some noise, and they are a highly reputable shop who followed all the instructions from Hawk. The tradeoff was noticeably better braking performance and way less dust than the OEM pads. In other words I just learned to live with it.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
My front brake's sqeal some time's at low speed, But when I need them they are there for me= No tee pee hood= no buckled hood, or rearender's. So w/ that being said= Don't go cheap on your brake's, or tire's for that matter.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I just made it home……20 ish mile drive and…… The squeal is all but gone! It did squeak a time or two in bumper to bumper: stop and go, but I can live with that.
Let this be a lesion for you boys and girls, apply a good amount of anti-squeal lube the first time!

·
Registered
401 Posts
Often high performance brakes will make some noise and its normal. That is why most cars don't come with high performance brakes no one likes the noise.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts