·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are you guys working on or towards for your suspension, brake mods? [8D]

·
Registered
459 Posts
Hmph. Suspension wise, coming up with the green for coilovers. Jonsing for COs. Nothing wrong with current spec, and they'll be good for quite a while, I just want COs darnitall.

Brakes are going to be needed soon, and I'd like to get some good auto-x pads; not sure about rotors, don't know if I should pop for a "better" set or not. I'd like to swap on rear disks too.

But all of this is a couple months down the road at best.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you looked at doing a st bbk?

·
Trump 2016
12,990 Posts
just installed f/r eibach sway bars with new struts and shocks way better handling also installed brembo cross drilled and slotted rotors all around

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just installed f/r eibach sway bars with new struts and shocks way better handling also installed brembo cross drilled and slotted rotors all around
Been busy, there pasta. Did you replace the pads too or scuff up the old pads?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Had Completed 2 years ago Full Eibach suspension setup, Springs, Shocks Sways.

Recently replaced front Sway Bar Links with Moog Parts(so much better).

Currently looking at getting a second hand set of all LCA's for the car to install some Polybushes, also need a new set of Eibach Shocks.

Researching on getting local shop to do a brake upgrade kit for me, twin piston PBR caliper with 324mm Rotors off a Focus RS (2 peice).

Also grabbing a geniune 10mm Rear axle/hub spacer from the UK.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Had Completed 2 years ago Full Eibach suspension setup, Springs, Shocks Sways.

Recently replaced front Sway Bar Links with Moog Parts(so much better).
You replaced the poly bushings w/ rubber ones?
Currently looking at getting a second hand set of all LCA's for the car to install some Polybushes, also need a new set of Eibach Shocks.
Have you checked out CFM's flca's?
Researching on getting local shop to do a brake upgrade kit for me, twin piston PBR caliper with 324mm Rotors off a Focus RS (2 peice).

Also grabbing a geniune 10mm Rear axle/hub spacer from the UK.
That brake should work as long as you have the bracket to space the caliper up. How many miles since you replaced the eibach dampers?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Some good upgrades there guys.

Suspension/brakes makes SUCH a difference!

·
Registered
174 Posts
That brake should work as long as you have the bracket to space the caliper up. How many miles since you replaced the eibach dampers?
Would the bracket be something the local shop be able to make up you think? or are you refering to the SVT knuckles.

Regarding the dampers i think only about 60-70 thousand Km's.

Im trying to fix a problem where the car sounds like its grinding or rubbing whilst driving. its very hard to diagnose and all the shops have said to start with replace the shocks.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Would the bracket be something the local shop be able to make up you think? or are you refering to the SVT knuckles.
The brackets that bolts the caliper to the spindles.
Regarding the dampers i think only about 60-70 thousand Km's.

Im trying to fix a problem where the car sounds like its grinding or rubbing whilst driving. its very hard to diagnose and all the shops have said to start with replace the shocks.
Have you checked out your wheel bearings? Thats what I'd be looking at.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Have you checked out your wheel bearings? Thats what I'd be looking at.
Yeah? when they are worn what do they sound like?

my issue seems to be when im cruising and going over small bumps its like a rubbing sound, when i accelerate on the highway the sound disapears.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah? when they are worn what do they sound like?

my issue seems to be when im cruising and going over small bumps its like a rubbing sound, when i accelerate on the highway the sound disapears.
Possible sway bar bushings. I'd put the car on a alignment or drive on rack & raise it up & then push the car up & down & listen for noises.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Did you make a thread for every part of the car Felix? lol

Suspension will be the M-3000-ZX3A with my own home made massive shim kit to make it work with my 2007.

I didn't want any type of drastic drop as this is my year round daily driver. I've been there done that with oil pan scrapers, bags, coilovers... I don't need moar lowz. Dodging potholes get's old.

Picked up a rear OEM swaybar for now (18mm I belive?) gotta fab some brackets for that but have seen a few versions I can whip up.

Front sway stock.

I'm sure once I go to install the struts/ springs I'll check the bushings on everything and replace what is needed.

Brakes OEM everything for now. When the front pads wear I'll switch over to Hawk HP's Been running those for years on my VW's and always liked how they preformed. Rear stock drums, just change out shoes and what not. Rear discs IMHO are overrated unless you want the look considering the fronts do most of the work. Brake lines only had the car a short time so I don't even know if there are rubber lines anywhere. if/when the day comes that they need replacing I might consider some braided. Yet again I've found just replacing worn rubber with new rubber works good for a daily.

Brake fluid, I'll be doing a flush of the system. One thing that has been drilled into my head and I know preach is good pads and fluid will best the best bang for your buck upgrade.

Tires, I need them bad. I'm pretty sure a few of them are what came on the car when it was new. [ohcrap] got a too good to pass deal on some brand new General Altimax HP. No clue how they'll react but the price was right. (Wish they still made Falken 502's dam good tire for the price)

I guess that is about it. Won't know anything until I get some time to install all this crap.

oh and I also have a front strut tower brace. Picked it waaaaay before I got my Focus for $20. Does it do anything? hell if I know/care.

·
So mote be it
8,950 Posts
My next mod will be to raise the suspension back up and prep for winter, store the fancy wheels until the spring...

Brakes are in great shape, swapped to SVT fronts not long ago and have Green Stuff pads all around (and yes they are super dusty) The ss lines feel great currently too. Then I will probably try to get in for an alignment.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Did you make a thread for every part of the car Felix? lol

Suspension will be the M-3000-ZX3A with my own home made massive shim kit to make it work with my 2007.

I didn't want any type of drastic drop as this is my year round daily driver. I've been there done that with oil pan scrapers, bags, coilovers... I don't need moar lowz. Dodging potholes get's old.

^^^Sounds great^^^
Picked up a rear OEM swaybar for now (18mm I belive?) gotta fab some brackets for that but have seen a few versions I can whip up.
^^^To give you a idea, checkout the Steeda brackets & you'll need the U brackets that go around the bushings.
Front sway stock.

I'm sure once I go to install the struts/ springs I'll check the bushings on everything and replace what is needed.

Brakes OEM everything for now. When the front pads wear I'll switch over to Hawk HP's Been running those for years on my VW's and always liked how they preformed. Rear stock drums, just change out shoes and what not. Rear discs IMHO are overrated unless you want the look considering the fronts do most of the work. Brake lines only had the car a short time so I don't even know if there are rubber lines anywhere. if/when the day comes that they need replacing I might consider some braided. Yet again I've found just replacing worn rubber with new rubber works good for a daily.
^^^New rubber lines work good vs old ones.
Brake fluid, I'll be doing a flush of the system. One thing that has been drilled into my head and I know preach is good pads and fluid will best the best bang for your buck upgrade.
^^^Brake fluid= I use the dot3 ford fluid.
Tires, I need them bad. I'm pretty sure a few of them are what came on the car when it was new. [ohcrap] got a too good to pass deal on some brand new General Altimax HP. No clue how they'll react but the price was right. (Wish they still made Falken 502's dam good tire for the price)
^^^ Those are pretty good for the price.
I guess that is about it. Won't know anything until I get some time to install all this crap.

oh and I also have a front strut tower brace. Picked it waaaaay before I got my Focus for $20. Does it do anything? hell if I know/care.
^^^Ha, now you have a strut tower brace.LOL
My next mod will be to raise the suspension back up and prep for winter, store the fancy wheels until the spring...

Brakes are in great shape, swapped to SVT fronts not long ago and have Green Stuff pads all around (and yes they are super dusty) The ss lines feel great currently too. Then I will probably try to get in for an alignment.
Thats what I find to Stephen, lot of dust, why IDK. Those pads really put out the dust for some reason. You've got to be on top of cleaning the wheels w/ those pads.

·
So mote be it
8,950 Posts
Thats what I find to Stephen, lot of dust, why IDK. Those pads really put out the dust for some reason. You've got to be on top of cleaning the wheels w/ those pads.
Youre telling me, having polished wheels means its a constant choir. Luckily its one I don't mind doing. Usually a spray/brush and then hose off and dry is good enough. Then every few weeks hit them up with some polish to bring back that luster...nothing nicer than a shiny lip!

Taking a clean microfiber to the wheels after a few days of driving really reveals how much dust there is. Not sure how 3 piece wheel guys do it, happy i only have five spokes and no bolts lol. Another reason to look forward to my winter wheel setup, black wheels lol

1 - 20 of 26 Posts