Focus Fanatics Forum banner

How serious have problems with your Focus been?

• Nothing wrong with it! Really pleased with my decision to buy.

Votes: 484 28.0%
  • Nothing too serious, minor work here and there. Hasn't broken the bank account yet!

Votes: 947 54.8%
  • A number of costly and/or irritating deficiences with the car. Spent a fair bit of change fixing th

Votes: 244 14.1%
  • So many problems that I will never buy a Ford again. Nearly went bankrupt due to repair shop bills!

Votes: 52 3.0%

• Total voters
621 - 640 of 662 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
I just cleaned mine about a month ago, seemed to run alot better, but on cold mornings it?s been acting up ! Almost shut off as i left the house the other day! Seems ok if it warms up for awile !?

·
Registered
23 Posts
2001 SE Wagon

Bought my wagon from the used dealer I work for, after it was sold and given back because the lady said it had too many issues. Didn't find any issues when I tested it, so I bought it. Ran it about 12K miles, and blew a hole in the side of the block at the number 2 piston.. Replaced with a used one, and did the same, at the same piston. Found out the injector was loading up the cylinder. Fixed that, dropped another used one in it, and haven't had a problem out of it since. Got it with 127K miles on it, and now have 163K. Looking at another one for myself now that my daughter took my wagon, dang it! Love 'em! [loveff][driving]

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
Bought my wagon from the used dealer I work for, after it was sold and given back because the lady said it had too many issues. Didn't find any issues when I tested it, so I bought it. Ran it about 12K miles, and blew a hole in the side of the block at the number 2 piston.. Replaced with a used one, and did the same, at the same piston. Found out the injector was loading up the cylinder. Fixed that, dropped another used one in it, and haven't had a problem out of it since. Got it with 127K miles on it, and now have 163K. Looking at another one for myself now that my daughter took my wagon, dang it! Love 'em! [loveff][driving]
o_O freeze how do you manage to get 2 engines that have a bad injector or did you buy just a plain block and reuse the old rail???

i sell my engines pretty much complete except the alternator, tensioner and AC compressors everything else i sell with the engines ( i take those parts off because i dont need people accusing me of selling them a duff engine xD yes ive had a few that accused me of selling them an engine that ate a belt because they used the old tensioner and it was seized..

what i find even more funny is every one of my Focus's except 2 were abandoned unloved wagons sold locally or on craigslist for $300-$600 and only needed general maintenance the majority of them are still running well into there half million miles. some of them the rusties ate the body so i yank the engines if they are about 100k mileage and find them new homes if they were running fine LOL

the only 2 bought were a 2001 Harvest Gold Wagon in 2005 that bit the dust in a headon in 2009, and a 2002 Twilight Blue wagon that insurance bought in 2009 to replace the wrecked 2001 that was parted out in 2017 after the floor gave out xD

·
Registered
28 Posts
Bought my '04 Focus off my sister, she had a new engine put in it and most of the maintenance done at Firestone.

So far problems include, radio volume knob randomly turns up or down doesn't matter which way you turn it, center arm rest broken off, trunk latch button doesn't work, door handles in the back seats are difficult to open, all motor mounts had to be replaced might have to redo it because I'm getting a thump if I gas too fast, rear wheel bearing have been replaced 3 times in 3 years, guild bolt stripped out caliper bracket, leaky radiator hoses, valve cover gasket had to be replaced, clocking started when making turns, alignment doesn't hold up, went through a set of tires in a year, starting it after its warmed up sometimes is hit n miss, front passenger speaker is going out.

The good about this car is its fairly cheap and easy to fix. Great on gas and has good acceleration for a 4 cylinder car. Hold up well to high speeds and mountain driving. There is a fair amount of space when back seats are down. The only thing I wish is that it was a 5 speed with a Mustang engine swap.

·
Registered
796 Posts
My horn stopped working the other day. Check the relay and the fuse, and they are perfectly fine. Going to have to check the leads on the horn, possibility they are corroded. Weird issue to have being my car is only a little over 5 years old and has under 70k miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've only had it a week, but previous owner gave me all records for previous 80,000 miles. It has been an extremely reliable car.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Chinese Focus's ????

I'm hearing that the new FF are going to be made in China. If this is true then the 13 that I'm driving will be the last one. I've owned several of these Devils and I really love them. My 13 that was Proudly built in MICHIGAN is the best unit that I can remember. Ride, fuel economy, looks and performance have been paramount. But the FMC has gone too far with their greed if this rumor is true. What's wrong with American worker productions? Thanks for listening to my rant.

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
heh i wouldnt know.. i always buy non running can's of worms =D but this is what i enjoy doing taking the cans of worms and making them like new again.. being disabled keeps me going, on my feet and doing something =D just like the SVT i'm working on

·
Registered
5 Posts
I’m having a problem now. the transmission fault light came on after getting a jump start from my battery dying. Car has been fine for two years. I don’t even know how to fix it

·
Registered
9 Posts
My only issue so far has been the navigation being inaccurate. I had a software update done yesterday and so far so good - (fingers crossed)

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had an '04 SVT for 12 years and it definitely had its share of problems but as people have pointed out, its cheap and fairly easy to work on this car.

The only two that really bothered me were:

1. The one time it died in traffic, the alternator was dead and there was no warning light to let us know. Our mechanic had replaced the battery a few days before so we thought the issue was solved, but it conked out on my wife crossing the American Legion bridge, hugely stressful place to get stranded.

2. The oil pan rusted out, I've never seen that one before.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Tailgate electric lock handle does not work except in summer (remote works fine)
Thermostat has been replaced twice (first spare was malfunctional right from the start)
Head gasket was replaced due to a seeping water leak

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
2010 Ford Focus 107,000 miles. Passenger rear wheel bearing seized to spindle. Change your fluids and keep your car clean. It will take care of you.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
966 Posts
2013 with ~100K miles. The door/lid on my sun visor recently fell off. That's it so far.

Edit: 110K+ miles. Passenger motor mount apparently failed. Ordered an OEM replacement.

·
Registered
26 Posts
2005, rusted out doors and rocker panels, bought in 2006, drove it ten years. CD player broke after 10 years, and the airbag system shows an error (probably the passenger seat sensor).

2015 SE hatchback, bought 2016 from Hertz, got 56K miles now. The air conditioner shut off a couple times (software glitch). Powersh!t tranny just can't figure out how to go from 2-3. Outside of that, it's the perfect car.

621 - 640 of 662 Posts