Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Drunkinmonkey
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys im ready to start adding some HP to my ride. the only thing iv doen to it is gotten an AEM cai.....whats a not expensive thing i can purchase to make even a very minimal chnage in performance? i eventually wanan redo the entire engine, but i wanan do little steps right now as money is tight...eg. are headers a resonable price? im trying to stay under 1000 for right now. i want new headers and a borla exhaust but i also wanna turbo it in the future, or am i wasting my time getting little things liek cam gears and what not?

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
SVT or FR SVT header, 2.5" flex pipe and 2.5" exhaust
That'll give little bit more pick up
You can buy all your exhaust for under $1000

·
Registered
115 Posts
^^x2

·
Black Mesa Racing
2,410 Posts
^^^x3

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
you can get a mac underdrive pulley kit. like $60 and there ya got another uh well 2hp lol. but its all the little things that add up just keep that inmind. you can get an ecu flasher. check out SCT they got nice ones. i would highly suggest that because you eventually will have to get one anyway. throttlebody is always nice. pistons and rods are a great investment but thats pricey. umm nitrous can be done for under
$1000 and that is a single difference you can feel but something i haven't tried... yet. check ebay for headers. you can find a decent one for under $200. pacesetter is good but if youre doing turbo dont get a header cause u wont use it. cams and cam gears arent that expensive. aem cam gears and crower cams are pretty good. also run some more grounds ive heard it helps gain some hp but i dont even know where to put them lol. you could go to a muffler shop and have them make custom 2.25 or 2.5 cat back for about 100 or 150 depending where you go. thats what i did. bigger isnt always better on exhaust. non turbo engines loose too much back pressure with big exhaust pipes and actually loose power so dont go over 2.5 i have 2.25 on mine to be safe. those suggestions aught to get ya started.

·
Drunkinmonkey
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for all the help guy..... im looking forward to redoing the engine over the winter:D

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
well you said you wanted to turbo it in thefuture, yes?
then start saving more, your 1/4 of the way there by my book. get up to about 5 grand and you can turbo it and enjoy it that way. (basically taking it to focus sport there in CA.

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
If you plan on turboing your car then don't waste the money on headers because you wont use them when you put your turbo on. You could put the stock box on with a k&n and the svt snorkle, that will out flow the cai from what i hear. Also you could buy some 8.5mm wires, copper core plugs, udp, 3 inches exhaust, cam gears, and a 65mm TB.

·
Premium Member
7,348 Posts
You could get a 65mm throttle body, but for way cheaper, you could port and polish your stock throttle body using JB Weld.

·
Premium Member
7,348 Posts
I wish there was a how-to on how to do it though. I have no idea how to approach that.

·
Drunkinmonkey
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so ima prolly get a TB next any recommendations and ones i should stay away from ??

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
honestly, any 65mm tb meant for ur vehicle would be just fine!!!

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
Next to my headers the adjustable cam gears were the best mod I ever done to my car. I have TQ everywhere now. It made the car a different animal. I would'nt get a header if your going to turbo it would be a waste of money.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts